• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

GABA vs. Valerian Root

Dan1584

Bluelighter
GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is an amino acid that acts as a nonsedating tranquilizer that is used to promote relaxation and sleep. Valium and other Benzo's act on GABA Receptors but unlike those perscription drugs, GABA Supplements are non-habit forming. The only side effects that have been reported in some instances have been mild gastric upset, nausea and drowsiness. The only real drawback is that GABA has a hard time crossing the blood brain barrier.

Valerian Root (valeriana officinalis) is a perennial herb is also a natural nonsedating tranquilizer used to combat anxiety and insomnia. Valerian, like Benzo's act on GABA Receptors and like GABA Supplements it is non-habit forming. Generally there are no side effects at recommended doses however some people have experienced mild headaches, drowsiness or lack of alertness when taken during the daytime. Also, large doses have been known to cause dizziness, insomnia, and nausea.

These are the two natural anti-anxiety supplements that I am considering taking to manage my anxiety. Both of them are pretty much the same thing. They even have the same side effects. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with using either of these supplements. If anyone can answer the following questions for me that would be great :)

- For those who have taken both (on separate occasions) which one has more of a drowsy feeling attached to it? I ask because I don't want to feel drowsy.

- For those who have taken either GABA or Valerian Root, what was the dosage you took and what were the effects (both good and or bad)?

Thanx, in advance!

Last edited:
I have been using valerian sporadically for years. I have found no bad effects whatsoever. I have used the typical recommended dosage as well as 2-3 or even 5 times that. At some level it does become sedating. It allows me to get restful sleep, and somehow it seems to be able to help you let go of restless thought loops. I first started using it round age 16 when I had maths tests the next day cos they used to freak me out. I then started using it when I had a major bout of depression, age 22... it gave me a 3-hour respite from social anxiety, paranoia, fear, and depression. I used it in conjunction with hops and passiflora, at other times with melissa, as well as on its own. Combos work even better than Valerian alone. Super calming but not in the dulling benzo way. Nowadays I use from time to time when I had a highly strung day in order to wind down after work and/or before going to sleep. It is definitely non-habit forming... I've been usign it for a decade and a half, but sometimes I go without it for months, perhaps even a year... but I like to have it around.

I have never used GABA.

Speaking of side-effects, i get a tingly feeling in my extremities and face with anything higher than a recommended dose of GABA.

I love Valerian. It usually helps me fall asleep under normal circumstances. (I have a hard time with that).
The only times it hasnt helped me fall asleep was when I was upset/stressed/extremely restless and stayed awake past when the valerian was working.
It also seems to give me really vivid, cool dreams when I havent taken any in awhile and am not used to it.
Ive never tried taking it during the day, I dunno how that would be!

I use a combination of valerian/ passionflower/ hops combination daily and have found that if I have probably 8 times the recommended dose, I feel some anti-anxiety effect, and it has helped me with benzo withdrawal/weaning.

Be careful what you read on valerian, most of the research cannot be sure wheteher it is valerian compounds or some by-product of them that works, and it is not definite that it works on GABA receptos.

I know nothing about GABA as a supplement though.

I think that the amino acid with creates GABA fluid is glutamate, this could cross the blood-brain barrier easier. It seems present in a lot of foods- its a taste bud activator (ie. monosodium glutamate-MSG stimulates receptors in the brain responsible for creating unami ('delicous flavour').

I've used valerian at the recommended dosage on and off for about 2 years now, I find that it works quite well when it's not desperately needed. After using it for a period of time (2-3 months on end) I found it's effects negligible and discontinued use.

I have used GABA supplements a couple times and found them to work MUCH better as a sleep-aid. Furthermore, I felt stronger and more vital upon wakening. GABA supplementation is purported to increase HGH production during the sleep cycle, hence, it's advertisement as a bodybuilding supplement, which it is not.

i thought they debunked the eating of Gaba saying it cannot cross into the brain , no ??
My brainis always flooded with gaba (gama aminobutyric acid right ?) because my meds ( neurontin and sometimes Lyrica too) force endogenous gaba to flood. but
i wonder if any natural things ( foods ) can cause a flood like this too.
I

I recently obtained some GABA. It's nothing like valerian tome. valerian feels wholesome and gentle and is very effective. GABA, on the other hand, has more of a subtle benzodiazepine/GHB feeling to it physically and, cometo think of it, mentally. There is more noticeable fuzz and body buzz - at 5gr and even at 2gr I found it a tad too strong because it gives me weird pins and needles all over - arms, legs, face, neck. They're a bit like a stagnating coffee-energy rush (make sense to nayone?), a bit like the beginning of a panic attack (I had to breathe deeply and relax consciously in order to ward of feelings of acute discomfort) and a bit like a strongish hit of salvia divinorum. Did make me pretty horny though as well. After the sex I managed to sleep, but the next morning I felt midly hungover and dehydrated. After shaking that off, however, I felt great. GABA might have some small potential for abuse, but for mere relaxation any time of day including night-time thatfeels safe and is effective, I will choose valerian any time. It has been an ally for years and it will probably remain one :)

I think that the dose range for effectively using GABA as an "anti-anxiety" drug, in the 2g to 5g range, is dangerous in that you are taking a substantial amount of an aminoacid which is normally not eaten in such large amounts. Your body is a sentitive machine - through too much of a direct metabolic chemical - such as GABA - into the mix and no doubt you will disrupt many metabolic processes.

Think of GABA the same way you would serotonin and dopamine. Both are "fun" chemicals to have lots of in your brain, but you would never ingest either of them due to the other system-wide effects they would have.

I used GABA for a number of months to try to deal with insomnia issues, 5grams a day. It is almost useless for sleep inducement and anxiety issues. You will get slight hands/feet tingling, a blushing face, and a tiny bit of physical relaxation - but NOTHING like a proper anti-anxiety medication.

So, from personal experience only, I would not recommend GABA for the purpose you describe. I still wonder whether my extended use of GABA led to the chronic insomnia issues I had for a year or two.....

Valerian root, from what I've read, acts in a similar way to benzodiazipines. If you are unable to get a proper benzodiazipine, Valerian root would be the better way to go.

Valerian's effects remind me of certain antihistamines(cyproheptadine), minus the increased appetite.

I have noticed some effects from GABA in doses of several grams+, so I would assume that some of it either does cross the BBB or converts into a form that does, though not very much, as it does take a large dose.

Valerian, on the other hand is much more sedating, at least until a tolerance builds. As it turns out, very recently the most active constituent has been found to be a chemical called isovaltrate, and inverse agonist of adenosine A1 receptors. AFAIK, this should have a kind of reverse caffeine effect, and might account for it being so incredibly non-euphoric.

i wonder if any natural things ( foods ) can cause a flood like this too.

Supposedly, L-theanine found in tea causes an increase in GABA production in the brain.

Last edited:
GABA is active sublingually, but weakly so, at least in my trials

I've heard that large amounts of GABA essentially forces its way through the blood-brain barrier, but this only occurs in incredibly large doses.

willow11 said:
I think that the amino acid with creates GABA fluid is glutamate, this could cross the blood-brain barrier easier. It seems present in a lot of foods- its a taste bud activator (ie. monosodium glutamate-MSG stimulates receptors in the brain responsible for creating unami ('delicous flavour').

Glutamate is a precursor for GABA, however it doesn't activly cross the BBB either. Glutamine, however does, and glutamate can be converted into glutamine in the body. GABA can likewise be converted into glutamate, which in turn can be converted into glutamine which crosses the BBB where it could be converted into glutamate, and then back into GABA. Though, I'd image much would be lost in all this.

Forget both of those
KAVA is the best ever! My anxiety goes way down when I take a spoonful of dried powder (tincture is probably even better)

pure GABA powder is pretty much a no-no in my book. It works, relaxes you and all, but doesn't cross the BBB too well and is tolerance, habit forming.

GABA (relaxation) is the most tricky neurotransmitter. Think about it. How hard is is to have fun? (serotonin, dopamine). Not that much. Pop the right pills or supplements, or just fuck all night long, and there you go. Unless you are depressed.

Relaxation and peace of mind are much more tricky, complicated and habit forming. In the long term, GABA and phenibut lose their efficiency.

The non-habit forming way to regulate GABA is by taking L-theanine (pure or from a good amount of green tea, or tea extract), Taurine (regulates neurotransmitter and GABA) and Ashwagandha (good for memory, adaptogen, shows GABA modulating characteristics), and do yoga and meditation.

Even valerian is habit forming for some people. Let alone GHB!!!

Increase the precursors (theanin, taurine, glutamine, aswhadandha and possibly bacopa) and take deep breathes.

Limit alcohol, GHB, benzos, and all downers.

This is how you fight and control anxiety.