• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

mariacallas

Bluelight Crew
The Beach (2000)

Can I please have a poll?
beachblue.jpg

I noticed not too many Americans or Europeans really mention this. I also notice that it is one of those either/or movies,...either you love it or you hate it. The reviews I've read remind me of another movie that is essentialy also an example of love/hate...Vanilla Sky. I have not read the novel (by Alex Garland) this movie is based on, and I guess thats a good thing...as it didnt hinder me from enjoying the movie on its own merits without constantly having to compare (altho I hear the book is a very good read and the movie does not do it justice.:p) I plan to read it in the future tho as it's gotten excellent reviews.

Back to the movie... i absolutely f*cking LOVE this movie. Danny Boyles (Trainspotting) direction is absolutely gorgeous, with magnificent photography and a beautiful score to match ( one of my most favorite soundtracks ever.) Beyond the aesthetics tho, The Beach' is a seductively lucid exploration of the deep dangers that lie behind sensual pleasure and the concept of 'paradise'.Having grown up in South East Asia my whole life and actually having been to Thailand and the beach in the movie (and a couple others that rival it in beauty and perfection) , I can truly say that to the uninitiated, this film shows a very interesting and, at times, gripping look at the dark side of the bright side of life where paradise is not always what it seems.

My only minor annoyance is the filthiness and squalor with how Bankok was shown in the earlier scenes...it was a bit exaggrated, its definatly not as grimy as the director would like foreigners to believe. lol. But I guess he made up for that by showing how stunning the beach can be in comparison....and the movie really does it justice.

If you would like to see a good adaptation of beach Utopia gone awry I'd suggest watching Lord of the Flies first ;) And after that I recommend this movie to anybody wlling to use suspension of disbelief, sit back, relax and just enjoy the idyllic ride and the movie for what is. If you don't like it you probably just dont get it. (again, like Vanilla SKy!)

Everytime I see this I still get butterflies in my stomach and a vaguely nostalgic feeling (even if i live in "beach world!") I can't explain it.

PS. Watching this on DVD is light years better than that first time I saw this in the movies...its definitely worth renting/buying.:)

Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. From mine it's a generation that's circles the globe and searches something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

And me, I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know its not some place you can look for, cause its not where you go. Its how you feel for a moment in your life when your apart of something, and if you find that moment... it lasts forever...

i have to admit i did not like the movie much at all. but, the cinematography is absolutely amazing, i'll agree on that point.

the story, acting, and dialogue were weak points though.

awesome movie until the part where leonardo goes crazy at the end.

beautiful settings and atmosphere. makes me wish i could find a place like that but instead of weed growing everywhere, there would be benzo trees and opium poppies.

^^^lol exactly my thoughts too ;) in lieu of weed I'd want ketamine plants and opium poppies =D

Do yourself a favour and read the book.

I absolutely loved this movie too, which prompted me to read the book. And Wow, the book is utterly fascinating. It's been over a year since I read it, but the imagery and immersion is just amazing. Sadly, one major character (and one of the best) was left out of the movie. Also, the ending is a bit different, but that only makes it less predictable.

Hunt down a copy now, and you won't regret it!

As for the movie, I don't know why it gets so much hate. I was completely glued to the screen when I watched it...

I thought the scene where he went crazy was funny as hell, though admittedly a bit cheesy.

Overall, not too bad of a movie, I enjoyed it.

I thought this movie was very entertaining, especially since I'm a pothead, and this movie would pretty much sum up my dream life, minus the shitty stuff that happens in the end. Leonardo Dicaprio was excellent, and this movie just put me in a good mood after watching it.

I love this movie, Ive seen it many times.
The part where he is tripping out in the jungle like a video game or something always seems really stupid to me though. Besides that I really love the entire movie.

I absolutely love the book. My fave! I really enjoyed the film though, mainly for the scenery and it's exactly how I pictured the beach in my mind. I didn't like how the story was changed and changing Richard in to an American though. I ended up going to Thailand, and seeing this movie always reminds me of how much I love travelling.

Everyone, even if you hated the film, give the book a shot.

I havent seen this movie in a few years. It was def. an OK movie. Not one of my favorite movies in the least, but not horrible either. I think three stars is just about right. :)

The fist time I ever went on a date though with another male when I was 14 was to see this movie! So I'll always have that in good memories.

This is one of the few DVDs I actually own. I love this film.. everything about it: good premise, good book behind it, good actors (anyone who still thinks Leo sucks is living another world), and BEAUTIFUL cinematography. :)

Not so shabbister of a soundtrack either. ;)

great movie.. i always wanted to do something like that in my life
umm
if you liked the songs

orbital - beached
moby -porcelain

i absolutely luv this movie (and own it on dvd too)

that is sooo awesome that you've actually been there CC! i'm so jealous...i've always said i wanted to go to that beach =D

i'v always found the part where richard (leo) finds daffy dead very disturbing...

AmorRoark said:
You're just pissed about the way they portrayed the Asians. ;)

That's only 50% true. The other 50% is the rape of Phi Phi Island. That movie cause quite a major environmental chaos ( See link ) to the other islands around Phi Phi.More links