Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

Banquo

Bluelight Crew
Some of the DVD versions of Citizen Kane have an excellent commentary track with Roger Ebert. Even if you don't like Roger Ebert, I highly recommend giving this thing a whirl.

The movie itself, of course, is classic. The revolutionary camera work reminds me of Hitchcock's Vertigo which was similarly groundbreaking, in that many of the shots in both of these movies would be copied years and decades later.

kane1.jpg

kane3.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ haha yes, every film students must see film. it truly is great though, so i'm not exactly complaining. :)

What can you say?

It's a film that will live forever, like few, if any, other.

Genius.

of course it is great... but what makes it above others? thats the discussion.

i think the greatness lies in the subtleties... in the cinematography, the whisper. the flow...

The fact that it set the rules rather than followed them. And that those rules are still being followed today. That's what sets it apart. :)

not really.

especially since they had Charleton Heston playing a mexican.

good movie but i wouldn't go so far as to say it "pissed all over" Citizen Kane.

The Liberal Media said:
most overated movie ever,sure it has innovative lighting etc etc" touch of evil" pisses all over it imo

ha, this movie had more than just innovative lighting. for one, it totally ripped apart the traditional movie structure and introduced a whole new way of piecing the story together that audiences had never seen before. telling the whole story in the first 5 minutes, and then breaking up the remaining bit with flashbacks was a quite a new idea compared to the standard beginning, middle, and end used up 'til that point.

shutterbug said:
ha, this movie had more than just innovative lighting. for one, it totally ripped apart the traditional movie structure and introduced a whole new way of piecing the story together that audiences had never seen before. telling the whole story in the first 5 minutes, and then breaking up the remaining bit with flashbacks was a quite a new idea compared to the standard beginning, middle, and end used up 'til that point.

Also jump cuts, and especially deep focus (the Wikipedia entry is good).

The reason it doesn't look innovative now is that all subsequent films have used these techniques, and we've seen those films, so Kane's techniques aren't new to us.

Infinite Jest said:
The reason it doesn't look innovative now is that all subsequent films have used these techniques, and we've seen those films, so Kane's techniques aren't new to us.

Good point.

A lot of the credit for the highly stylized realism of Citizen Kane should go to cinematographer Greg Toland, who was an expert in the newest filmmaking techniques. Under Orson Welles' direction, he had the chance to experiment with deep focus, wide angle lenses, high speed film and masterful lighting, all of which helped Citizen Kane redefine the technical production of motion pictures. Some of the scenes, like the projector room scene in the beginning of the film, were considered so experimental that when Orson Welles sent the dailies back to RKO he claimed it was just a film test. Of course, this ended up being one of the most brilliant scene compositions in the movie and, arguably, of all time.

Despite Toland's considerable talents, this is Orson Welles' masterpiece. He got a nice fat contract out of RKO and they gave him free reign over the production; RKO monitored progress on the film through the dailies but there were no executives on set and the film obviously benefits from it. The budget was also pretty reasonable; despite the reputation he would eventually earn in Hollywood, cost overruns were not really a problem for Welles on this film.

But aside from the technical achievement of the film, the story itself - for which Welles and Joseph Mankiewicz share joint credit and no one is quite sure who wrote what - is exceptional. Citizen Kane can never be accused of evoking style over substance. The story is complex, intelligent, fun, sad, epic - it distills an infinitely complex life into 2 hours and yet it doesn't feel like you've lost anything. The breaking up of the narrative, the contraction and dilation of time - they all contribute to the timeless quality of the production.

The acting is equally strong. Orson Welles, who is in the same mould-shattering acting class as Marlon Brando (at a time when film was full of boring Clark Gables and Cary Grants), is phenomenal. He really inhabits the character of Charles Foster Kane; in every scene featuring Kane, you can't take your eyes off of him. The perennially underrated Joseph Cotten also makes his screen debut. The rest of the actors, many of them drawn from Welles' Mercury Theatre group, round out the performances. Taking stage actors and transplanting them into film is typical of Kane's break from Hollywood formula.

I don't agree with the American Film Institute that it is the best film of all time, but it certainly is up there, especially when considered in context. Hollywood had never seen anything like this in 1941.

Last edited:
^^
Amen, brotha.

I also second the motion backing the Roger Ebert commentary. The man breaks the film down to it's most elementary levels. It's like a two hour film school lecture. A must see for any film buff.

stinkfoot said:
not really.

especially since they had Charleton Heston playing a mexican.

good movie but i wouldn't go so far as to say it "pissed all over" Citizen Kane.

Yeah, really, I could never buy MOSES as a Mexican cop.

There were lots of good things in "Touch of Evil" (the opening scene with the bomb is incredible) but it's a movie that's going in several different directions. I didn't care for it much. Citizen Kane is a better movie by far, IMHO.

How about "The Stranger"? With Edward G. Robinson? That was excellent too.

He made this film called "Prince of Foxes" I've always wanted to see, it's about Cesare Borgia.

Last edited:
Benefit said:
I don't agree with the American Film Institute that it is the best film of all time, but it certainly is up there, especially when considered in context. Hollywood had never seen anything like this in 1941.

Wells' own pick for the best film of all time I will never see. It doesn't exist anymore. It was a silent film called "Greed" directed by Erich Von Stroheim. It was on that old cellulose nitrate film they used to use and it burned up.

Hearst apparently tried to influence the head of the studio not to release 'Kane'. He was very very unhappy with the Susan whats-her-name character, thought it put his long time gf Marion Davies in a bad light. Wells career never really recovered from Hearst's malice towards him.

fasteddie said:
Wells' own pick for the best film of all time I will never see. It doesn't exist anymore. It was a silent film called "Greed" directed by Erich Von Stroheim. It was on that old cellulose nitrate film they used to use and it burned up.

If Greed doesn't exist, then I don't know what the hell I watched last on TCM Sunday. I can assure it exists.
What does NOT exist is the original uncut 9 hour version of the movie. That version was only shown once to a small group of reporters. It was then cut to 2.5 hours which iss what was released.
So unless Orson Wells had seen a pirated copy of the 9 hour cut and the version of Greed that Orson Wells was talking about does exist.

supertrav77 said:
If Greed doesn't exist, then I don't know what the hell I watched last on TCM Sunday. I can assure it exists.
What does NOT exist is the original uncut 9 hour version of the movie. That version was only shown once to a small group of reporters. It was then cut to 2.5 hours which iss what was released.
So unless Orson Wells had seen a pirated copy of the 9 hour cut and the version of Greed that Orson Wells was talking about does exist.

Oh. I stand corrected. That must have been what he meant.

I'd like to see it, there's a scene that was filmed in Death Valley, one of my favorite (winter!) vacation spots.

Citize Kane is an alright movie. There are some flaws.
For one, you never really understand what some of Kane's motivations are. Like, Kane goes from idealist to meglomaniac but never understand why.
Secondly, how does anyone know his last words were "rosebud" when he was alone in the room when he said it. You can see the nurse walking in only after he drops the snowglobe.