• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anxiety Reducing Supplements?

Dan1584

Bluelighter
Does anyone recommend any vitamin, supplement or herbal extract (or combination) of some sort that can help with managing anxiety?

I've heard good things about phenibut.

It's a nootropic with anti-anxiety properties similar to that of valium.

of all the nootropics and supplements I have taken this year ( and there have been over a dozen ) I just started taking a good B-complex which inculed a little inositol choline and PABA etc and I am noticing a HUGE diff. people say oh yeah you'll just pee out all that B and dont need all that B but I am more relaxed RIGHT now that when I was taking loads of Benzos !!

^What do you mean what is he/she worried about? In case you didn't know, anxiety is a mental illness, that can be very debilitating for some. Maybe the OP wants to get rid of anxiety, so he/she can move on with his/her life.

I take 50mg 5-HTP twice daily and 300mg St. John's Wart three times daily. I find that this combo has worked better for me than being on 40mg of Celexa for a year.

Just got something very effective from my naturopath. It is a standardized milk protien supplement that I assume has amino acids related to gaba production. In any case it was shown to be as effective as valium in reducing anxiety. Its called Pro Calm for those interested.

I hate when people claim anxiety is a medical condition that is almost impossible to get through life with, but ADHD isn't. That's pretty fucked IMO...

Anyways, back to the question, I'd say some B-Vitamins and exercise are the best. St. Johns Wort has worked for some people... You'd be suprised how far a little exercise can go though.

L-Phenylalanine and MAGNESIUM (especially the latter) are the only OTC supplements that work for me. I do suffer from severe panic attacks.

I also found Picamilon very helpful.

L-theanine, an amino acid found in green tea, produces a pronounced feeling of tranquility in as little as fifteen (15) minutes. L-theanine increases the activity of GABA, a neurotransmitter (i.e. natural messenger in the brain) that promotes relaxation and reduces anxiety. L-theanine also stimulates the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter responsible for confidence and a sense of well-being.

Healers have used Passion Flower as a natural remedy for anxiety and insomnia for centuries. Recent research verifies that standardized Passion Flower extract reduces anxiety and promotes a positive outlook. Passion Flower may also reduce anxiety-related discomfort caused by opiate and sedative withdrawal

Standardized Valerian extract, a safe and effective natural sedative, calms both mind and body. Clinical research demonstrates that Valerian effectively relieves anxiety-related insomnia and suggests that Valerian extract may be comparable to some prescription anti-anxiety drugs for treating anxiety disorders. Unlike many drugs, however, Valerian is not addictive or habit-forming when taken in recommended doses.

anxiety is a mental illness

Chronic anxiety that is with out a known cause is a mental illness. People often get anxiety from stressors in their life and try to medicate away the problem with out addressing the cause of the stress...... No shit... I am totally serious. It happens.

“I am broke, my girl friend just left me and I have a scorching case of herpes… Jeeze I can’t understand why I am feeling so anxious these days, better pop some Prozac.. “

Give me a break.

Dealing with, and working through, problems takes a little more effort than popping a pill, but it can help. I think medication should be a last resort, not a first stop.

What the is wrong with finding out what the whole picture is before pushing drugs and supplements? I know that anxiety is a disease for some people, but there is nothing indicated one way or the other that this person has been diagnosed. Yet everyone immediately jumps on the pill wagon……

8)

^What about those that lead a fullfilling and sucessful life and pretty much have no dramas whatsoever? For some, anxiety is a physiological illness. Just like depression, some people don't have anything to be depressed about, but they are just chemically so...

I have seen anxiety cripple one's life where they will never, ever leave the house. EVER!! and this guy had nothing to be anxious about really... it was just Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Didn't have any fears of anything happening, he was just really one anxious chap.

^What about those that lead a fullfilling and sucessful life and pretty much have no dramas whatsoever? For some, anxiety is a physiological illness. Just like depression, some people don't have anything to be depressed about, but they are just chemically so...

Those folks have clinical depression... did you miss the part where I noted that it is considered a disease for some?

this guy had nothing to be anxious about really

LOL, and how did you come to that conclusion based on his only post:
Does anyone recommend any vitamin, supplement or herbal extract (or combination) of some sort that can help with managing anxiety?

Look, I am not trying down play clinical anxiety, I am just trying to bring up the idea that not every friggen cure comes in a pill, and that some people have anxiety for a reason. A reason other than chemical imballence, that very well should be addressed rather than medicated away.

Like I said, it would be intresting to know what is going on with this guy/gal. I used to suffer from chronic anxiety, tried a bunch of pills. Excercize, and a ballenced diet was the only thing that finnaly worked. It took 4 frigging doctors before one bothered to ask about the rest of my life... The fact that I was eating like shit, not sleeping enough, and was getting no physical activity was the problem *causing* the anxiety.

"What am I stressed out about" is NOT an unreasonalbe question.

Last edited:
what about supplements containing GABA? ive heard it does not cross the blood-brain-barrier well at all... but it is combined in many anxiety remedies. Anyone know anything about it?

theworks said:
it's called meditation and it's free

If you experience real panic attacks, it can be actually quite hard to start meditating in the first place.

alprazolam i heard is purty good....ok no seriously kava kava is a little subtle but it is definitely calming. Just watch out for your liver. High doses too often can do bad things to your liver, or so i've heard.

what about supplements containing GABA? ive heard it does not cross the blood-brain-barrier well at all... but it is combined in many anxiety remedies. Anyone know anything about it?

Detrevni.... How does one " watch out for [one's] liver" ?

ive heard it does not cross the blood-brain-barrier well at all...
Quite right...