• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Abstinence as your New Year's Resolution

spacefacethebassace

Bluelighter
Hey there, I'm wondering, is anybody else is abstaining from a certain drug (or all drugs) as part of their New Year's Resolution?

I've resolved to lay off the purely 'feel-good' drugs like cocaine, E, opiates, etc. I'll still be using psychedelics, but more sparingly and with an end goal in mind, rather than for irresponsible hedonism. In retrospect, the last year of my life has been a big downward spiral, despite the fact that my life is perfect on paper (grades, college acceptance, scholarship opportunities, etc.). Hopefully, after a month-long break or so I'll be mostly restored physically and emotionally and be ready to grasp the rest of my life by the balls.

Maybe we could use this thread as a kind of support group to keep the abstainers on the bandwagon?

Well, after last night I've kinda looked back at my past 4 months and realized how much of a low life I've been. You know, lying, stealing, hustling, etc. I don't know what happened, cause August 2004 is when I started toking and thats all I did until this September, but as soon as my Senior year started I took anything and everything I could get my hands on. In these past 4 months I've done atleast 20 different drugs and have been fucked up almost everyday (including in school almost daily)

So it's time I make a change. No more stealing/Popping pills (except maybe Xanax, I love it too much), no more coke, Ecstasy, Ketamine, or anything else aside from weed, alcohol, and psychedelics/RCs.

It's gonna be hard, especially not popping pills everyday, but this has to be done. Wish me luck =D

Good luck! :D

I kinda had a similar start to my senior year, constantly going against my moral conscience in the pursuit of another high. I'd say that sort of thing is clearly indicative of a drug 'problem'. I'm glad to see you recognized that in yourself and that you're taking steps to change.

I dont do drugs anyway, but I wanted to wish everyone luck. Just dont let it become the traditional cursed new years resolution that seems to be forgotten by the start of februrary. Good Luck! :)

i've only smoked weed 3x this year...
i havn't done too many drugs, i'm waiting for this summer...
i first need to get back into shape and lose some weight, then i'll feel alot better about myself.
Right now i have a 3.5+ GPA... i was aiming for a 4.0 , but i don't think that will happen :-(

I'm going to stay true to my no more smoking weed. It's been about 7.5 months since I last smoked and I feel way better.

Also to continue reading and learning...

I'm hoping to do just that. We shall see.
Anyone know if EAP works?

^^ Waitress, more coffee!

Made it past NYE w/o alcohol. Pleased as all get out right now.

My New Years came a few weeks early, with a complete revolution in my life, from occupation to education to location, etc.

But both on the eve and the first day, I'm still carrying on my old, hated habits like there's no tomorrow :\

Instead of one new year, I see years of monotony stretching infinitely until my eventual merciful death. Makes me wonder why we celebrate new years at all; most of us hold onto what we've lost in the past, rather than rejoicing in the coming doom of the future. Odd, us humans.

god silverfeniks, just how im feeling rite now.......
this yrs BIG difficult goal is at least 6 months abstinence from meth, but i officially tried 2 start that 2 months earlier and it didnt work
and of course ive started the new yr off on a run again and now im just trying 2 exist on a point a day till the detox place opens again......so much 4 gd old abstinence :\
i do know if i dont do it this time ill neva do it tho and i did it before 4 a whole 2 weeks....
gd luck evryone here, hope ur going betta than me, mite give me sum inspiration if uthas can do it

The same stars surround us no matter where we end up:

The best reality check in the world is to lie down here in the mountains at night and gaze up at the infinite stars. I grew up in a coastal city, and never knew there were so many stars. If you look overhead, its impossible to deny how worthless you and everyone else really are.

One might read a tapestry as worthless, however I read it as intricate and therefore with innate value. SF and DW have souls, minds and bodies that can be put to ends as they see fit.

So you stumble sometimes...make some bad decisions...fuck up with some regularity...

Stars explode too.

But from all that psychic debris matter cannot be destroyed, only remade.

That isn't worthless by any standard in this universe.

Keep walking.

Last edited:
It's late on the 3rd and I'm going strong. Haven't had a drink in 3 days, and I turned down free coke and pills yesterday. Turning down free drugs seems crazy as hell to me, but I feel much healthier simply being able to do it.

I've bumped up my supplementation and exercise regimen recently as well, just to help compensate for this post-drug binge depression I've been having.

Day 8 and all I've had since the 1st drugwise are caffeine, nicotine, and good 'ol MJ. I even hung out with my drinking buddies while they drank, without imbibing myself. Simply incredible, that's the first time I've ever done that and it feels damn good just to know that I can do it, even if it is a real bitch.