• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Most effective Fever Reducer

PonderosaPine

Ex-Bluelighter
Hi all. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this message, but anyway, I have caught a really bad bug, terrible sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, almost loss of voice, etc etc.. I had my tonsils removed a year ago and have never been so sick since before I had them removed. I still can't figure out why my throat is so sore. Anyway, last two days I have been using Tylenol and Ibuprofen to bring down the pain and fever, I am worried about these doses on my liver. I wouldn't say I've gone over 2 grams/day in these doses. I have also been using some Tylenol 3's that I got from my g/f that work quite well, but last night I had a fever so bad I woke up at 3am shaking and couldn't even pour myself a glass of water to take with 3 200mg ibuprofens. Can anyone give me some advice on a really good quick fever reducer? Do opiates help?

Thanks and mods please feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

For what it's worth Paracemetol (Acetaminophen/Tylenol) is a good fever reducer. Opiates are pain-killers, plain and simple. They'll reduce any pain that's associated with the illness/injury, but they won't reduce a fever if it's present. Also, I'm not a medical doctor or an RN for that matter, but I do recommend you head to a clinic to get checked out if your lymph nodes are swollen and if the high fever persists.

yea, the swollen lymphnodes and fever are signs of an infection...id hit up that walk-in clinic if i were you..

Most of them come up viral. I had Mono back in Grade 10, about 5 years back. I didnt have symptoms like this though. Whats the most a doctor can do anyway is just handout a prescription for Antibiotics, unless its a staff infection. Most infection nowadays are usually Viral, at least everytime I've had a throat swab done within the past 2 years, they've came back negative meaning viral. I've also had my Tonsils removed last year so I don't understand how I could have strept throat. Unless its a Staff infection. Maybe I should try and make an appointment with my family doctor seeing as though I really don't like walk-in clinic doctors as they are usually pretty dumb.

I really do reccomend a dose of an opiate, I just recovered from the flu, 5mg of nitrazepam for me, and 120mg dihydrocodeine, and I felt totally healed, save for a little nasal congestion.

Opiates for pain.
Acetaminophen/Paracetamol for fever.
And benzos to sleep.

PonderosaPine said:
Most of them come up viral. I had Mono back in Grade 10, about 5 years back. I didnt have symptoms like this though. Whats the most a doctor can do anyway is just handout a prescription for Antibiotics, unless its a staff infection. Most infection nowadays are usually Viral, at least everytime I've had a throat swab done within the past 2 years, they've came back negative meaning viral. I've also had my Tonsils removed last year so I don't understand how I could have strept throat. Unless its a Staff infection. Maybe I should try and make an appointment with my family doctor seeing as though I really don't like walk-in clinic doctors as they are usually pretty dumb.

Once youve had mono it is very unlikely you will get it again.

Antibiotics are useless against viral infections- they treat bacterial infections. Doctors give out antibiotics for viral infections because sometimes patients just expect to get a pill to take to make them feel better.

*EDIT* if you are coughing up green phlegm its usually bacterial, tan- yellow or white indicates viral.

You have many lymph nodes in your neck- these are the things that are causing you pain when they swell. Tonsils get removed because in some people they tend to get infected easily and often and take you out of school for too long. But there are heaps of other glands that do the same job.

For pain and fever I suggest ibuprofen or paracetamol. There are some throat sprays with a mild anasthetic in them available here in Australia which work wonders.

Make sure your iron levels are normal and you take Vitamin C, bed rest and plenty of water.

What about good old-fashioned aspirin for fever reduction? Even one tablet can help. :)