• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Flaxseed oil doesn't work the magic fish oil does

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
I feel I owe it to readers of this forum to make a correction to what I used to preach, based on my recent experiences.

Awhile back I decided to switch from taking 6g fish oil a day, as my doctor recommended, to taking a tablespoon of flaxseed oil. My doctor had told me that a lack of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in my diet were probably responsible for my depression and anxiety problems ("ideations of despair" is how I'd describe them). Fish oil capsules worked like a charm. All of a sudden I became the upbeat, nothing-can-get-me-down kind of guy I'd always wanted to be.

At first I blamed it on the fact that I'd just rolled. Then as the negative vibes continued, I blamed it on the dark, the cold, the slush. But I even felt this way in comfortable, dry, warm settings surrounded by people and food I loved. It was the old feeling I used to think was normal up until last year when I began taking fish oil.

So I visited a pharmacy, where the pharmacist told me most definitively that these two oils were not interchangeable. Fish oil contains two SPECIFIC Omega 3 fatty acids that relieve stress and depression, whose chemical names are abbreviated EPA and DHA. Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, contains a motley mixture of every sort of Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, and is mainly useful for cutting cholesterol and relieving bowel problems. EPA and DHA are in very low concentrations in flaxssed oil, she said, and thus it was useless against depression.

This is important for anyone taking Omega 3 fatty acids for depression. It's specifically fish oil you want. The others won't cut it. Sorry, all you vegans -- as if getting adequate nutrition weren't already a challenge for you guys :(

Im a vegetarian and have been feeling guilty about continuing to take fish oils.
But they have such benefits. I suppose I will continue taking them because I really need my mental well being and they help a lot. Im a bad vegetarian. :\

No no no the fish feel a lot better and cleaner without all that oil. I guess, I really dont know how they get it? But yes after several weeks it does have a really nice impact on anxiety and depression. I think I take 14g a day. Just mix it with tuna and FF mayo For breakfast. Makes it taste minty.

interesting. For those who have tried Omega-3 fish oils, how does it work for you? Which symptoms does it help you with the most personally and does it aid in concetration at all?

Im not sure about brands..but for me its just...it makes me feel healthier overall. I feel more able to deal with things...I still get depressed but it feels more..managable..I dunno. Ive been taking them a long time so I cant even really remember what it was like before I took them. I just remember being like "wow! I feel better!"

There is a reason they are called Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs.. omega 3, 6, and 9). If you dont get them from what you eat your body CANNOT make them itself so you are left with less than what your body required to operate, this can lead to many health problems...and I wouldn't be surprised if it can aggrivate or maybe even cause some mental issues (including depression). So yes...eat your EFAs please...flax seed oil is good, however fish oil is even better (I think intake of EFAs is one big issue a lot of vegans have problems with).

subdefy said:
interesting. For those who have tried Omega-3 fish oils, how does it work for you? Which symptoms does it help you with the most personally and does it aid in concetration at all?

I take 3grams/daily of Salmon/fish oil with specifically DHA/EPA on the label. The only perceivable changes have been:

Mentally:

- fatigue less easily.
- more concentration throughout the day
- bounce back from a stressor easier.

Physically:

- skin texture/moisture better
- general energy level better (but may be from the mental improvments).

A couple companies make vegan epa/dha supplements out of algae..which is where fish get their omega-3s from.

Also, a while back there was a thread regarding the oxidation of flax oil and how it is actually unhealthy...
who knows?

Hey I have a question..

I currently take flaxseed.. Is it okay to take both flax and fish oils everyday?
It seemed like the original poster said they contain diff. chemicals and I just don't want to overload on something. Thanks for your help!

Mehm said:
A couple companies make vegan epa/dha supplements out of algae..which is where fish get their omega-3s from.

Also, a while back there was a thread regarding the oxidation of flax oil and how it is actually unhealthy...
who knows?

Yes. Experts please discuss this becaUse Im confused. I was just reading about a study that showed babies breastfed by mothers taking omega 3s from algae, vs new moms who were taking fish oil, showed faster brain development. If this is where the fish get the omega 3s, wouldnt getting them from the fish just be second best?

maybe.
oils may concentrate in fish because edible animal tissue is generally fattier than that of plants. I don't really know much on the issue though.

ebola

I have no clue about fish oil but I eat alot of rice. I throw a small amount of flax seed in with my rice everytime I make it. A 1 pound bag of flax seed lasts me a long time. Not sure if i'm getting alot of flax oil from this though.

Just fyi, flax seeds must be ground for any of the oil to be absorbed.

ebola

well the flax seed gives the rice a different consistency from a small amount I assumed it was from the oil in them.......

grind your flax just prior to eating though, because of the easy oxidation of the oil. Ever noticed how bitter the oil gets after the bottle's been open a few weeks?

I use both flaxseed ol and fish oil (and heaps of othe roils...) and I mix them freely. I don't see why it should be bad to mix those two... there might even be some synergistic effect and it's even better for you.

I throw flaxseed in with my pancakes, I never really liked them until I started making them with a certain recipe I got. The mix blends together whey protein and flaxseeds. I take coromega for my fish oil supplement. And my physician explained to me that for the heavy set person if you mix about 3 to 5 grams of fish oil a day in with your regular healthy eating habits you burn more calories by not excercising, i mean like how your body's metabolism goes digesting food. and can lose you an estimate of a pound a week.

Yes green tea is also good. Not a big fan of cooked spinach. I mostly chop it up and make salads with it or i put mix a cup and a half in with my meat when I make hamburgers along with some other ingredients. But I know you dont eat meat sorry. I brought that up :(