Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The AGe - 12/12/2005 'Stoner youth unsuitable for military'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
NEWS: The Age - 12/12/2005 'Stoner youth unsuitable for military'

Stoner youth unsuitable for military
December 12, 2005 - 6:21AM

Young Australians are becoming too drugged and too fat to join the military.

Overuse of recreational drugs - particularly marijuana - among 15-year-olds and junk food-related obesity are expected to worsen over the next decade, according to an Australian Defence Force (ADF) internal recruiting plan for the next five years, it was reported today.

"The high incidence of non-medical drug use among young people (recent studies suggesting up to 50 per cent of 15-year-olds smoke marijuana at least once a month) severely limits the pool of recruitable candidates," the recruiting report says.

The childhood obesity problem is "expected to worsen over time as Australian society reflects the phenomenon found in developed nations". The rate is "one of the highest among developed nations", with 25 per cent of children assessed as overweight or obese, up from five per cent in 1965.

Increasingly unhealthy lifestyles - coupled with the ageing population and private sector competition - is making it hard for the ADF to attract enough physically and mentally fit recruits to defend the nation, the newspaper says.

One in 12 military candidates already fail the physical or mental fitness tests, and overall the ADF fell 1,000 short of its recruitment targets last year.

By 2010, the ADF could shrink from about 52,000 personnel to 48,500 - significantly below the 55,000-strong force planned by Defence Minister Robert Hill.

Senator Hill will unveil this week a strategy to expand the force to almost 55,000 to meet the challenges of the global war on terrorism, the newspaper says, with the army to recruit 2,500 more personnel.

- AAP

From The Age

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but there are more than 55,000 fit people in this country. Maybe the defense force should provide more of an incentive for people to join, rather than whinging about how everyone is fat or on drugs. I could say more, but I don't want to turn this thread political...

I would have thought that future wars will be fought by remote control. The very people who are building their computer skills up, who will be ideal operators of future war machines, are sitting at this moment in front of their computers, smoking joints, not getting exercise and playing games which promote killing and destruction (the very mindset the military will need).

The types they want now however (muscle bound, fitness heavy non-counter culture types) would barely know how to use a computer if it smashed into their face, since they're spending all the time building up the skills the army wants.

Robin Williams "Toyz" actually put this idea across that the Western Military Complex/Industry would invest in computer game technology to encourage and begin training the younger generations for future wars fought by high-tech remote weaponry.

And it's already happen with that FPS (first person shooter), "America's Army, the official US Army Game which provides young Americans with a
virtual web-based environment in which they can explore Army career ..."

Ironically the computer skils the military is building up with these policies requires a human being to be sitting in from of a computer for severals hours a day, thus encouraging an inactive lifestyle.

In 15 years time you'll have an article from the Age regarding the military complaining that they don't have enough fat, stoned operators for their remote control bombers.

long time have I watched the army. All its life it's looked away... to the where it was, never to to the horizon. Death. Heh! War. Armies should not crave these things, they are reckless!

Maybe we should just decomission our army, like NZ did... Or maybe we could just have a stoner army, something along the lines of getting bombed instead of dropping bombs.

chugs - agreed. most fps have been brainwashing players for a while now with their storylines.

regarding the thread topic... i guess that explains why the army recruitment ads have disappeared from sbs monday nights ;)

The fitness requirement for the army is like 15 pushups, 45 sit ups and 7.5 on a shuttle run. For the navy and airforce you only have to do 6.5 on the shuttle run and women only have to do 8 pushups instead of 15 like the guys! That shit isnt hard. I personally know a few people in the defence force and the funny thing is that most of them are/were druggies. One of them used to smoke an ounce a week (plus meth fairly often) and they still took him in!

I thought it was a prerequisite for military personnel to be on drugs!! Particularly the American military and we are according to Johny H closely aligned to them. With the fiasco of american fighter pilots using go pills - speed, so that they can fly long missions in order that the free world stays free. Except when they make major stuff ups and bomb friendly neighbours. They recently killed four Canadians in Afganistan after being directed by ground crews not to engage the target. Whoops!!

Incidently the pilot only got a slap on the wrist for the incident and lost a months pay.

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/007046.html