Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

forum on recreational drug use

ayjay

Bluelighter
Prevention and recreational drug use: What are we doing?

10.00 am to 12.30 pm (registration & refreshments from 9.30 am) Monday, 5 December 2005 Angliss Conference Centre William Angliss Institute of TAFE Level 5, 555 La Trobe Street (cnr King St.)

Topic
There is a growing body of research into ecstasy and related drugs ("party drugs"). Much of this research focuses on the prevalence of use, with a growing body of contextual research. There is, however, less research into prevention and what works.

This seminar aims to highlight issues related to prevention and the recreational use of these drugs, and to consider possible ways forward, including education, harm reduction, legislation, mass media and other strategies.

Participants will be invited to respond to the speakers presentations and to present their own ideas and reflections on what are the issues and problems and potential solutions.

Speakers
Mr Netzach Goren, Research Officer, Centre for Youth Drug Studies, Australian Drug Foundation Ms Jennifer Johnston, Research Fellow, Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre Associate Professor John Fitzgerald, VicHealth Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Health and Society, The University of Melbourne Dr David Caldicott, Research Fellow, Emergency & Trauma Departments, Royal Adelaide Hospital and Convenor of the OzTox Collaboration

Bookings
Places are strictly limited, so you are advised to book early. Bookings close at 4 pm on Wednesday, 30 November 2005.

For more information, or to book your place, tel. 1300 85 85 84 or send your name, school and contact phone number to e-mail [email protected].

- just in case anyone's interested (btw - I am not from the ADF - just passing on the invite)

Im interested, i'll drop them an email tomorrow when i can write something at least co-herent :)

aunty establishment said:
Ooh. I hate it when anyone uses the "P" word (prevention) and harm reduction that close together.

I know. I know. But these days we (Enlighten) are actually using reduction in use, which could be considered prevention, as a selling point for pill testing when we are talking to certain groups. It has been proven to have a demand reduction effect, even though that is not our priority. The end result is the same, less harm.

Let them think they can "win the war" if it makes them feel better, we know better. ;)

I'll be there. Look forward to meeting more bluelighters there! Tis free, so if you can get the day off work/school, come along.

Hmm... This could be quite interesting....

Will see how the schedule is looking, but thinking very seriously about booking a place.

johnboy said:
I know. I know. But these days we (Enlighten) are actually using reduction in use, which could be considered prevention, as a selling point for pill testing when we are talking to certain groups. It has been proven to have a demand reduction effect, even though that is not our priority. The end result is the same, less harm.

Let them think they can "win the war" if it makes them feel better, we know better. ;)
All good points. Prevention is just one of those words that makes me think of the daggy, DARE-esque "just say no" B/S that's been tried and failed in days of yore.

So tell me - what's the logic behind pill testing driving demand reduction? Because the last I heard on this (ages ago now) it was a pretty contentious topic amongst certain government types :)

Dirk Korf's research shows that those who test their pill use less, and of those who have never used ecstasy, those who are exposed to pill testing are less likely to start.

The facts aren't contentious but that doesn't stop certain government types from parroting the "It encourages drug use!" talking point.

^ there are similar studies that look at injecting drug use and needle exchange. You can download some well referenced booklets from http://www.ancahrd.org/pubs/#hea (NSP: a review of the evidence & your questions answered). It's not surprising really - if you support people to make informed choices about their health, sometimes that will mean choosing to use less drugs.

Aunty - I'm kinda with you on the "prevention" stuff. Unfortunately, it's the buzz word these days & you certainly boost your chance of getting funding for harm reduction projects if you frame it as "prevention"; "preventing substance -related harm" for example. See - it's just like harm reduction, except mintier! ;)

Let's not forget that in studies of so-called party drugs, one of the ways in which 'prevention' can be framed is in terms of preventing juvenile drug use.

The literature will tell you that many harms could be reduced (or prevented) if party drug use was delayed until, say, 18, rather than starting in the early teens.

As for the forum, it looks great. I might see if I can take that morning off... ;)