Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How do i write to a politician?

4u2Notice

Greenlighter
This article from The Weekend Australian (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17068818-2,00.html?from=rss) has given me final motivation to write to my local member about harm minimisation, and how I believe strengthening state and federal drug laws would, adversely affect everyday Australians (especially the bit about tightening laws on minor possession charges, especially in QLD where we have some pretty tight laws already, and they're starting to think they will have issues with full prisons in the coming years).

Anyway, when I went to write it, I realised I have no idea what to actually write to them, or how to put it, or even who to send it to. Local member, State member, both?

I was wondering if any of you had written these before, what you had written, how it was done and who it was sent to (not names, just like local/state etc) so I can get some idea of what should be written.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
The article refers to Chris Pyne - I'd write to your local Federal member about this. You might want to try your local State member too - drug laws are frequently state laws. You can find out who these people are via the internet pretty easily.

There was a lovely piece of research published a few years ago comparing cannabis use in US and Netherlands (prohibition v. 'relaxed') - showing that in fact policy has fuck all impact on use levels:

The Limited Relevance of Drug Policy:
Cannabis in Amsterdam and in San Francisco
| Craig Reinarman, PhD, Peter D. A. Cohen, PhD, and Hendrien L. Kaal, PhD, American Journal of Public Health | May 2004, . Vol 94, No. 5

I can't attach it as it is over 100kB