Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Liberal Party - "Gets tough on Drugs"

William

Bluelighter
Im so surprised this hasnt had any play on here or maybe it has and ive missed it.

http://www.ag.gov.au/agd/WWW/justic...005_-_Howard_Government_gets_tougher_on_drugs

Howard Government gets tougher on drugs
The Senate today passed a raft of new offences contained in the Law and Justice Legislation Amendment (Serious Drug Offences and Other Measures) Act 2005 to further crackdown on illicit drug trade, the Minister for Justice and Customs, Senator Chris Ellison, said. These include:

Maximum life imprisonment for using children to traffic drugs

Criminals who exploit children to traffic drugs will now face up to life imprisonment under tough new laws passed by the Senate today, Senator Ellison said.

“This maximum penalty of life imprisonment for people who use children to traffic drugs sends the strongest possible message that it simply will not be tolerated by our community,” he said.

One of the most important obligations of any government is to prevent the abuse of children. The Australian Crime Commission’s 2003-04 Illicit Drug Data Report noted that detections of clandestine drug laboratories had continued to increase. Of particular concern, in Australia and internationally, police have increasingly found children present at clandestine laboratories with dangerous chemicals or traces of illicit drugs in their system. For example, in 2003 over 3000 children were found to be present during seizures of clandestine laboratories in the United States.

While all individuals exposed to clandestine laboratories are at risk of health side effects from the chemicals, children, who do not have the ability to protect themselves from the inherent dangers, are particularly vulnerable. Exposure to chemicals can result in serious and long lasting injury.

People who use children to traffic drugs will face a maximum penalty of life in prison, if they involve them in trafficking a marketable quantity of illicit drugs.

The new offences also target people who put children in danger through exposing them to the manufacture of illicit drugs as the volatile and toxic chemicals used in ‘backyard’ laboratories can pose significant health risks.

Maximum 25 years for offences involving chemicals used to manufacture illict drugs

Drug dealers and manufacturers will now face up to 25 years imprisonment for offences involving a commercial quantity of chemicals used to manufacture drugs under the new laws, Senator Ellison said.

These chemicals, known as ‘precursors’, are an essential component in the manufacture of illicit drugs including amphetamine type drugs such as speed and ecstasy. The growth in this trade is seen in a joint Australian Federal Police and Australian Customs Service operation in August this year which resulted in the arrest of four men and the seizure of approximately 400kgs of ephedrine, a pharmaceutical drug often used to make the drug speed.

The Australian Government has committed $5.4 million over five years from 2003-04 under the Tough on Drugs policy through the National Strategy for the Prevention of the Diversion of Precursor Chemicals (the National Strategy) to address the issue of the diversion of precursor chemicals into the manufacture of amphetamine–type stimulants and ecstasy in clandestine laboratories.

“These new ‘pre-trafficking’ offences will support the National Strategy by targeting people who deal in precursors with the intention of manufacturing illicit drugs, or with the intention of providing them to another person for that purpose,” he said.

“People will now face up to 25 years imprisonment for offences involving a commercial quantity of a precursor chemical.”

Maximum life imprisonment for manufacture of ‘synthetic drugs’

In addition, the maximum penalty for manufacturing a commercial quantity of ‘synthetic drugs’, such as amphetamines, has increased from 10 years imprisonment to life imprisonment, Senator Ellison said.

‘These drugs are often inappropriately referred to as ‘designer’ drugs however the only thing these drugs are designed to do is cause harm both to the individual and the community’, he said.

The Australian Federal Police are currently limited as to the type of drug offences in respect to which they can act. For example, the AFP can deal with imported drugs but can have difficulty if there is doubt whether drugs were imported or manufactured locally.

“These new federal offences will remove these restrictions by providing a much broader coverage of offences. The new offences will operate in conjunction with offences under State law ensuring there are no gaps between Federal and State laws that can be exploited by drug cartels.”

Media enquiries: Brad Burke (02) 6277 7260/(0417) 749 711

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/justiceministerHome.nsf

=====================================================

Ignoring the blatant attempts at media grabbing headlines of "using kids to traffic" i am greatly concerned that the maximum sentances of some drug distribution charges have been raised in some cases by 250% and so should you be.

I doubt anyone here will ever have to face these charges which is why this issue may have not recieved any play here but that facts are when the more serious charges are beefed up to this extent there is a knock on effect to the lesser charges of drug use and minor drug supply.

You may be wondering what you can do about it?... Well there is something you can do about it. At polling time support the parties that support harm minimization such as the Greens.

Become an advocate for the parties that value social liberties above removing our rights as human beings to do the things in life we choose to do that have no direct harmfull effect on our fellow person.

Stand up for your rights. Remember who to vote for on polling day.

if you care about drug policy in Australia the take home message is don't vote Liberal.

Too true cyberdyne and cowboy mac, too bad the only party making serious opposition is rubbish as well on the whole. Damn the system.

Cowboy Mac said:
if you care about drug policy in Australia the take home message is don't vote Liberal.

there's a hell of a lot of other reasons why I wouldnt vote liberal either, but these policies are particularly concerning. *sigh* now I realise why so many idealistic young people become so disenchanted and apathetic

combine these powers with the soon to be passed anti-terror laws and the government will be onto a winner ;)

constantly, almost daily i experience this sinking feeling when i hear the latest trick, or bullshit the current government has been coming up with to support/increase its own powerbase. i don't believe the 2-party political system australia has, works. its disengaged, dishonest and unrepresentative. its fantastic to focus on drug law reform and that can be a great catalyst for personal change. im also getting interested in seeing what can be done to change the political system so its more honest, transparent and representative.
im very interested in becoming involved to promote political reform. some of the stuff im checking out at the moment:

for some info about really progressive forms of citizenry democracy check
http://www.co-intelligence.org/
http://www.newmatilda.com/policytoolkit/policydetail.asp?PolicyID=28&CategoryID=10

if anyone really digs this and wants to get futher involved send me a pm, im keen to hear your thoughts!

What do they consider is a commericial quantity of a precursor? any quantity?

^ I don't know specific amounts of precursor that would constitute commercial quantities, but to get an idea, here are some "commercial quantity" values of the drugs that are obviously being targeted:

Amphetamine 0.25kg
Methylamphetamine 0.25kg
MDMA 0.125kg

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/act+226+1985+sch.1+0+N

If a commercial quantity of a precursor is an amount that can be used to manufacture a commercial quantity of a drug, then this means jackshit precursor!

laboratory-grade chemical reagent containers commonly come in amounts of 500g of a given chemical. hobby-chemists beware.

Don't think that it will be any better when this crop of young 'uns become "older folk". For some reason there always a strong anti drugs stance by former drug users.

quiet roar said:
Don't think that it will be any better when this crop of young 'uns become "older folk". For some reason there always a strong anti drugs stance by former drug users.

Yeah, this has baffled me so much too, I'm getting on to the end of my "party days" if you like, as are the majority of my friends, and it's just so surprising how many of them now look down their noses at me when I tell them that I had a pill or a line on the weekend, I think it's hypocracy at its finest, :X especially considering these were the people who once rang me every Friday night to "see what I was up to" (read: lets get fucked up).8)

Anyway, what can you do....

Attitudes like that exist because there are many, many people who take drugs but never really get over the "drugs are bad" brainwashing they got during school. For these sorts of people, every time they use drugs comes with the associated guilt of doing something they believe deep down makes them morally deficient.

I personally believe these are the sort of people who are least likely to be interested in harm minimisation, are most likely to take stupid risks with drugs due to simply not having the right information and don't really think much about the hypocrisy of our society's drug laws, even when they're still using.

Not just hypocrites but judgemental ones too.

hoptis said:
Attitudes like that exist because there are many, many people who take drugs but never really get over the "drugs are bad" brainwashing they got during school. For these sorts of people, every time they use drugs comes with the associated guilt of doing something they believe deep down makes them morally deficient.

I personally believe these are the sort of people who are least likely to be interested in harm minimisation, are most likely to take stupid risks with drugs due to simply not having the right information and don't really think much about the hypocrisy of our society's drug laws, even when they're still using.

Not just hypocrites but judgemental ones too.

I think you really hit the nail on the head with that last point. To expand a little further...I think that this very same group of people are often the first to blame their own personal shortcomings or problems on drugs, thus abdicating themselves from the responsiblity of their own actions. I've seen the type before, and instead of recognising the folly of their own actions they tend to lay the blame on the drugs themselves. I'm not sure whether this mentality is as a result of the indoctrination/brain washing that's still deep in the subconcious or whether these people are just weak in character and try to abdicate themselves of responsiblity by shifting the blame, or perhaps even a combination of the two.

Brutal BMW Driver said:
Who cares? Australias drug rulses are still pissweak compared to most other countries.

Im pretty sure most of the drug useing community in this country will care, it might seem pissweak at the moment but what happens when they crack down harder? They should be looking at decrimiliseing drugs not putting harsher penalties on drug users and manufacturers, the war on drugs has been lost by a long shot why cant the government just accept that!!! I dont even vote yet but the only sensible thing i seen from any party is the greens, nice to hear some common sense.

Pity Australian Government is blindly following the seppo's war on drugs that they are losing everyday and seppo's taxpayers are forking out the bill, Howard could have looked closer at the seppo's system and it pretty clear thats it's not working at all, yet he is still copying the seppo's system.

Like Cowboy said, don't vote liberals, even I havent voted in my life, and just finally enrolled my voting details couple of months ago.

hoptis and comfortably numb make really valid points, but i'd like to expand on them a bit.
marxists use a term called the "ideological bullets of the bougiosie" - it relates to the whole state infrastructure from schools to the media to the courts that tells us that the systems fine, nothing can change anyway etc.
For drug users, we cop not just bullets but a full-blown artilllery assault with air-supporrt from pretty much day dot - "Drugs are bad mmmkay; if you use you're fucked up; users don't care about or health etc."
Running peer education programs, particularly in reallly disadvantaged areas, most users come along thinking we're going to regurgitate that message to them. When they hear something completely different it can take a long time to shift headset. Sometimes you can almost see the moment, and it can be glorious - "Wow, what i'm doing is valid; users can care about our health etc"
Unfortunately the moment doesn't change evrytrhing - i've been a user activist for 10 years and you still know, deep down, that i put myself through shit i shouldn't.
Or when trying to do a degree at uni i attend lectures where they say that all the children of drug "addicts " are neglected and malnourished, and as a father and and a user i still, after 10 years, find it easier to walk away than tgo challenge a statement which, if it was made about any other social group, would almsot certainly lead to the academic being disciplined.
In terms of mass shifts in conciousness however; that takes mass social movements behind it. This generation can change things, but we have to ber active. we have to challenge the system.
30 years ago same-sex relations had very similar social stigmas attached to what we cop now. Movements changed that.
Its not a question of which major party has power - its a question of what the communityh does in action.

Fuck the terrorists they aren't doing any harm instead lets go after the druggies
Yeh good one johnie