Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Thinking of the Future?

peaker22

Bluelighter
I suppose ive been using xtc/speed/meth and other related drugs for the past 4 - 5 years and i suppose now being in a serious relationship im starting to think more of the future. This wouldnt be the first time i've quit, my partner uses with me occasionaly, but i geuss what im trying to consider is

are the fun times now going to outweigh an unhappy future?

what do you guys think? :\

This is something I think about quite a bit. Is my drug taking just a phase in life, that will be eventually superceded or become impractical once other things take precedence, or is occasional recreational drug use just a part of who I am, and something that I will continue for many years to come?

Personally I dont think its a good idea to be really 'into drugs' if you're trying to start a family, or if you're in a lifelong relationship where your partner doesn't share that aspect of your life. But perhaps very occasional use could still be ok (like 1-2 times a year maybe).

Also, drugs does not exclusively equal fun times. All of the most rewarding and most of the most fun times I've had in my life have had nothing to do with drugs. Besides, it aint all about 'fun'. I mean, fun is fun and all, but it's not enough to really satisfy in the long term..

there's more into life than drugs...... 8o

I know but won't go into detail :)

Ask yourself did you get on with your partner first place because of drugs? or not?

Doofqueen often says, that your world is your playground or something like that. ;) I argee with her. :)

It's a big subject with many questions from many different points of views....
like why did you get into drugs in the first place, and why your partner wants to get "serious" and that kind of stuff.

like potato said:

Is my drug taking just a phase in life, that will be eventually superceded or become impractical once other things take precedence, or is occasional recreational drug use just a part of who I am, and something that I will continue for many years to come?

I could go a lot in detail because I had a almost a year break away from the drug crowd , but I wont. :) It's a personal question that you ask yourself, that no one can answer for you. :\

what you mean by asking "are the fun times now going to outweigh an unhappy future?" ????? .....least what I see from your post; that you and your partner are going to share a possiblity wonderful future that is something real not escaping into artificial reality with artifcial happiness with aid of illegal substances?

hope helps and goodluck :)

Been thinking about this lately a lot, too, being engaged and all now :)

Firstly, just for practical financial reasons drug-taking is naturally going to take a backseat as your life progresses. I had no idea how expensive a wedding was going to be, let alone what's its going to be like raising kids, saving for a mortgage etc... and to my surprise "sacrificing" my "fun" for these goals hasn't been as hard as I thought. There are things bigger and more rewarding than getting plastered every weekend, and now I'm getting as much buzz out of saving for and planning this wedding (or more!) than I used to taking pills all the time.

I think - for most of us who have our heads screwed on - the drug taking thing will naturally fade into irrelevancy as other things take precedence. I can't say for sure that I'll give up entriely (I like potato's 1-2 times a year thing ;) ) - but there's a buzz in sorting your shit out and progressing in life, and I'm high on that at the moment.

I hear ya Sandyfreckle, I'm 27 and have been trying to put what you just said into word and failed many times on this site. I wouldn't say I'm all the way there, but I'm definately heading in the direction you speak of.The bottom line is it can vary from individual to individual but I think its very good advice/experience in the post above none the less. Losing the vibe now as I write this, anyone else experience this when posting back? Like you spill the beans and your soul to such an extent and just think " Ah well, that was cathartic but who actually gives a fuck?" and delete the page or so you've written before posting?. maybe its just me, but not this time.

I’ve been watching this thread for a little while it’s made me think.

I pretty much do either Crystal (really small amount…like 1 point) or Pills every second weekend…been like that for a little while. I lead a life with commitments and I know this is supposed to be a fleeting fun thing to do.

I caught on to the party drugs later than most. But when is it time to stop? I know I don’t want to stop now…I’m in control and having fun with it. But you know, maybe that’s the perfect time to stop? I mean, do I really want to wait until my fun with drugs has a negative impact on my life? Maybe it’s best to quit while you’re on top?

My partner (about 10 years younger than me) wants to stop. The feeling of not being able to go out for a big night without drugs is disturbing him. We’re both ok with it on the night…but in week that follows, you start to think, “is it even possible for me to go out without drugs anymore?” That in itself is a worry.

Firstly, full admiration & respect to sandyfreckle. You obviously have gained plenty of wisdom and insight into human behaviour throughout your life. I also am of an age where this "sickness" should have been cured. I have a beautiful family & a loving home which I've worked hard for. I also have a insatiable appetite when it comes to party drugs. In answer to peaker 22's question. Simply, you should never stop thinking about the future. There is no reason why a person cannot combine all things into their life. I do think though that the going out to raves & clubs will have to stop, but there no reason why you cant enjoy yourself with good friends on a sunny afternoon in the sunshine like so many I know. I found its the scene that does your head in with all its lost souls. Settling down in a committed relationship is good for your soul. So with a little discipline & compromise one can still partake in entertaining oneself with how one wish's. In relation to the real future I think its more of a health issue both mentally & physically. I now carry these battle scars bravely though at times wish it was different. But I believe love really does cure all ailments even if is only really blinded. My advice, be true to your partner, be accountable, be somehow responsible & save, save & save providing the best you can to your own family.

peaker22 said:
are the fun times now going to outweigh an unhappy future?

It depends on the person I guess.

For me they have. I suddenly see a psychologist who's just referred me on to see a psychiatrist.

I have a whole heap of issues that weren't once there... or at least not enough to effect me in such a negative way [ie. to my knowledge].

I equally blame drugs and myself for taking them. In particular acid.

Be careful guys. Be really, really careful. :) Don't think just because you've got a really high tolerance to most drugs that you're a King of consumption and nothing will ever fuck you over.

This thread is fantastic, it is nice to hear some sound advice from the people who have been around the block a few more times than myself. Even at my young age i have changed my drug taking habits a lot over the past few months and can see the positives from slowing that use dramatically.

Thankyou very much for the words of wisdom... It is good to hear that although people have abused drugs for a long time, they have now been able to change their views and alter their use from the every weekend going out to get plastered, too the now more respoinsible use of drugs to mainly further enhance ones lifes and nights. Congrats to sandy freckle that was a wikd post, and good luck Doppelganger

I try to use drugs not more often then 2 out of 3 times I go out. Stimulants only once per month.

And I found that to be the perfect pace for me. I don't think I'll ever stop that pace. Slow down, maybe. But not much. Hopefully not even when I'm 60.

...Hopefully not even when I'm 60.

Hee hee... Until you arrive there, it's hard to appreciate just how your body changes around mid life. Typically, you're going along just fine, with recovery taking the regular amount of time, then, over maybe a year or less, everything changes. Even a long break seems to make little difference. It's like the aging process is suddenly wound up 10 notches. Drugs tend to really exacerbate this, and a big night out (even a late night with no drugs) can take far longer to recover from.

For most people - even healthy and fit people- around age 40, eyesight, hearing, and other senses start to dull. Muscle tone, strength and overall energy begin to wane, and time passes far too quickly - at least for the special moments. Old habits begin to become boring as do some people.

How you view the world, and consequence wise how you act in it, becomes more of a priority. You can fake it for a while (ignoring the after effects) but sooner or later lifestyle has to reckoned with. What is childs play at 20, becomes out of reach at 40 or 50.

For some people this might not happen until into their sixties or later, but for most people I've known who've used drugs continuously over most of their adult lives, the effects generally start to manifest earlier, between mid thirties to mid forties. The startling reality, even if first ignored, manifests both as a physical limitation, and as cognitive impairment, affecting learning ability, work pace and general wellbeing.

While the positive effects of speed may be considered ideal at this stage in life, the negative quickly start to dominate, often knocking out several days following the experience. In witnessing speed users who've given up the drug in their 40's after perhaps 10 or more years of intermittent or regular use, it seems in many cases that changes in body chemistry can take years to return to normal. IMO, in some cases - age related/ duration of use etc - 'regular function' simply doesn't return.

This is why other, seemingly less impacting substances can become popular. Coke for example, seems to be one drug many older people continue to indulge in. If taken irregularly in small amounts, the high is subtle and the hangover usually minimal. However, coke is bad for the heart, and many older people have paid the price from overindulging or failing to abstain when they know they have a condition that increases this risk. Indeed, it could be argued that anyone over 40 with high blood pressure, a family history of CHD or CVD shouldn't indulge. Same goes for MDMA and most other stimulants. A family relation once admitted to us that she would love to try MDMA, but being a former nursing sister she completely understands that at her age (mid 60's) with her medical history, the effects of body temp increase and BP would just be too dangerous.

In some ways the mid life period can be a saving grace; a 'fork in the road' time where one road is infinitely more appealing than the other. Needless to say, most of those that live good and healthy lives from this point on either reduce their recreational drug use considerably or abstain altogether.

A while ago a thread discussed issues concerning prohibition. Many agreed to the statement where older conservatives were described as often being former users who'd been ultimately swayed by early exposure to repeated propaganda concerning the evils of drugs. Sure this is true for some, but I'm sure many, in their more fragile years, tend to base this on how they see everything. It's either good for you or not - a shift in priority - health related risk behavior is replaced with striving to maintain. So, it's natural then that some may completely reverse their former stance on the value of drugs to society. It's also little wonder that in their older age, some of the most hardcore advocates for a healthy lifestyle are themselves former heavy, or long term drug users.

^^ Mate...if you can honestly keep it to a couple times a year...I think that's great. That's where I hope to be soon. Right now I just have to say "no" for awhile. (that sounds like a Regan era anti drug slogan doesn't it...*shivers of horror*).

I'm 27 and have been doing recreational drugs for the last 10 years. I have always tried to be moderate with my use and have usually succeeded in that endeavor. There have been a few short phases in my life where I have been somewhat out of control with my drug use.

Currently I use about every 2 months. Would like to get that out to about 3 months but I'm not to fussed. I can see myself keeping up this type of use for sometime to come, I really don't find it taxing on myself at all (physically, emotionally or finically) and still really enjoy everything the drugs I use have to offer.

And as for MDMA I can see myself using that for a very long time to come even if it is only once or twice a year.

I just hope as is said above, that i will still be able to use drugs for the next 20 years as i feel they bring something els to life that can not be found without them, some sort of understanding and feeling of at home with eerything, might sound like i rely on rugs but thats not what i mean, more that they just make my already happy life happier

Doodle said:
And as for MDMA I can see myself using that for a very long time to come even if it is only once or twice a year.
Same here.

p_d, I hear what you're talking about. I've been around quite a number of much older users throughout my short life. And I could see sometimes how easy-as things for me sometimes are a big effort for them.

That's why I can see myself only doing 1 night parties, psychedelics and MDMA only very occasionaly once I hit my midlife (whenever that is). At 60 I'm thinking of only 12 hour long psychedelic parties and MDMA few times a year.

I'm just basing my expectation on what I've observed with other people.

sandyfreckle said:
'Doodle' and 'on the rise', dont you ever have bad experiences with drugs such as spending heaps of money on pills and finding out they are duds, or getting some pills that are really trippy and send you on a bad trip? Or having a bad come down and feeling majorly depressed? Or getting run down and sick? I can think of many more. I guess until the bad side of drugs outweighs the good most people dont see it as a problem and continue to use. In my experience drug addiction can be a very insidious condition , one which creeps up on you and before you know it your life is falling apart. The first time I had an eccy, I was 18 or 19, I actually believed it was good for me. It felt so good that I convinced myself it could not possibly be bad for me. My advise to anyone is that it is wise to be always vigilant and never blase.

I've had a handful of slightly bad experiences and one very bad experience. They have generally come about from when I did become blasé and lost respect for the substances I was dealing with. I also have a slight self destructive streak which I need to keep an eye on.

That said the many many more awesome experiences far out weigh those bad few, which now serve as a major reminder not to lose respect for the drugs you take and yourself.

I would consider myself a very healthy and fit person (I'm a bit of a health nut) I watch what I eat and exercise pretty much daily. Strong body, strong mind. Come downs have never really been that bad for me, sure some aren't so great but nothing some cuddles can't fix ;). I've had couple of bad LSD come downs but the experience on a whole has out weighed a few hours of crap.

I rarely get sick, if I’m not feeling great or if I’m feeling ran down I don’t use.

I'm really careful with moderating my use because I don't want these experiences to just become normal or usual. I want them to remain the incredible wondrous special times they are for me - regardless the drug. There have been times when doing a certain drug has lost its special edge and that’s when I know to take a break for while and slow down.

So overall and from what I've learnt from past experience and some mistakes I'm happy with my current lifestyle which drugs are only a small part of. I think in this manner my drug use is sustainable for many years to come.

Less is more :).

Well...I'm out. I'm quitting everything. No breaks, no more "cutting back".

I'm pretty angry at myself for the way I have let my weekend drug taking interfere with things in my life that are important...mainly my relationships.

I'm down. I'm at the point where my partner of 1.5 years and I don't even get down to discussing things like what we're into sexually unless we're out on pills!

Then we spend the first half of the week coming down and trying to struggle through the days of work and commitments of real life...sex is not even an option. Then we're fine over the weekend ...so long as there's meth and pills...We were NEVER like this!

I know sex is not a big deal with a lot of people but we are hugely sexual people...its part of who we are...and this is just fucked that our sex life has been impacted on by us getting trashed over the weekends.

Fuck that. I'd rather be having the kinda sex I need than meth/pills and shitty comedown sex. I don't need any deeper reason than that.

So I'm done. I have no sense of moderation...I can't just have one pill...one point of meth. I can't keep it to once a month or even once a fortnight. Whenever I take a break, I find myself texting people I know after I've had a few drinks on weekends and it all starts again. I just thank God I didn’t start week day useage.

No breaks this time. I just have to bow out and say it was fun, but it's my time to say goodbye...without regret.