Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pot may help memory, reduce depression: study

Sevoflurane

Bluelighter
Taken from SMH

Canadian researchers have discovered that smoking marijuana could improve a person's memory and mood.

A team at the University of Saskatchewan headed by Xia Zhang found that injections of a potent HU210 synthetic substance that mimics the active ingredients in cannabis increases the production of neurons in the hippocampus area of the brain in rats.

The region is associated with learning and memory, as well as anxiety and depression. Zhang and his colleagues believe that these negative emotions are caused by a lack of cell growth in this region of the brain.

Other recent studies showed growth in brain cells in the hippocampus lessened anxiety and depression.

In contrast, other recreational drugs such as alcohol, nicotine, cocaine and heroin suppress growth of new brain cells.

"The implication is that smoking marijuana is a good thing," Zhang said.

The discovery may eventually lead to the next blockbuster antidepressant drug treatment, he said.

"It is possible this might overtake Prozac," he said.

Of course, it has only been proven in rats so far. And HU210 is a purified substance 100 times stronger than the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in marijuana.

The study will be published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation next month.

Dunno about everyone else but years of smoking the herb have left my memory rather....ummm...dull :p

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/pot-may-help-memory-reduce-depression-study/2005/10/15/1128796735556.html

Pot does definatly not help memory. I can vouch for that.

yeah same.. pot fucks your short term mem, i cant expalin how many times ive " lost" my lighter during a blaze..

pot fucks your memory. Also, heavy pot users dont remeber their dreams due to a lack of zinc (so im told)

pot sucks :p

lok1 said:
pot fucks your memory. Also, heavy pot users dont remeber their dreams due to a lack of zinc (so im told)

pot sucks :p

I don't think it has anything to do with zinc. I'm almost certain that 'heavy pot users' don't remember their dreams, simply because they don't have dreams in the first place. Prolonged exposure to cannibanoids suppresses rem (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is the segment of sleep that involves dreaming, growth and repair.

As for weed helping memory, i'm also going to jump on the skeptic bandwagon. My short term memory suffers heavily from smoking, but my long term memory is still as clear and sharp as ever. Then again, when I stop smoking my short term memory improves so mmm, I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

Might have something to do with the TYPE of chemical they were using. Not just your standard hydro/bush plant...

I'm skeptical but I think it would be retarded to conduct research under such variable circumstances. Maybe HU210 mimics it in certain ways.... but not EXACTLY.... let's wait and see :)

"It is possible this might overtake Prozac," he said.

Seems like these Canadian researchers are drawing a fairly long bow here.

But I love that quote. =D

Would they then nned to represcribe prozac to counter the mental issues from long term smoking?

Please remember to provide references to back up your facts... Google Scholar is a good tool for finding scientific papers but it shouldn't be too hard to find references for 'remembered facts'. That's what it's there for - if you think "I once read somewhere that..." then chances are with a bit of searching you can find a semi-reliable reference to the real story online within 5-10 minutes.

BigTrancer :)

From my personal experience its hard to say. Ive had times when id be talking to people and totally forget what they were talking about, but was this because they were just boring and I didnt really want to LISTEN? Ive also had times where id be able to become entranced in a good book while stoned and remeber ever single word that was just read. Many people under-estimate cannabis. For me it can be a strong psychedelic and I believe it does come under the guise of set, setting and take into account individual experience may vary. Pot has helped me in some depressive periods, effected me more in other, but as with all psychoactive chems there are so many variables and factors to take into consideration when dealing with the mind, its very hard to tell without a wide demographic exposure to the drug. In today's legal climate, this is virtually impossible.

Last edited: