• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Ecstasy use rife in Australia: US report (2/10/05 SMH)

Jimity

Bluelighter
Ecstasy use rife in Australia: US report
October 2, 2005 - 5:39AM

Australians are among the worst abusers of ecstasy and amphetamines in the world, an international report has revealed.

The US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) report shows criminals in Australia are cultivating 5000ha of marijuana crops every year - an area equal to 2,500 Sydney Cricket Grounds - News Ltd newspapers said.

Marijuana is Australia's "most popular and most abused illicit drug," the DEA Drug Situation Report for Australia says, naming NSW and Queensland as the primary growth areas for outdoor cultivation.

South Australia, Victoria and the ACT also had outdoor cannabis plantations.

The report, obtained by The Sunday Telegraph under Freedom of Information, showed cocaine was being smuggled into Australia by couriers on flights from South America and manufacturers were using oil from the sassafras plant to make ecstasy.

Inconsistent state laws on precursor chemicals were hindering the fight against drug manufacturing, it said.

The report was based on intelligence gathered by the DEA in Canberra and was compiled in July this year.

The report, obtained by The Sunday Telegraph under Freedom of Information, showed cocaine was being smuggled into Australia by couriers on flights from South America

Shit eh? And here I thought it was being grown in the Snowy Mountains by Santas Elves. :\

Australia's drug shame revealed
October 02, 2005

AUSTRALIA is suffering an acute drug problem, according to an international report which found that the country has one of the highest rates of ecstasy and amphetamine abuse in the world.

The US Drug Enforcement Administration report, obtained under Freedom of Information, paints a grim picture of illegal drug use in Australia.

The report found that criminals are cultivating 5000ha of marijuana crops each year - an area equivalent to more than 2500 Sydney Cricket Grounds - and there are more than 200,000 heroin users in Australia.

The extent of Australia's cannabis cultivation and dependency on illegal substances is revealed in a new US intelligence report which has been obtained by The Sunday Telegraph.

The report also found that ecstasy manufacturers are using oil from the sassafras plant to make the drug, with increased seizure of the oil by customs and police officers.

Cocaine is currently being smuggled into Australia on flights from South America and cocaine importation is set to rise.

It states that inconsistent state laws on precursor chemicals is hindering the fight against drug makers.

The DEA Drug Situation Report for Australia says marijuana is Australia's "most popular and most abused illicit drug" and names NSW and Queensland as "the primary growing areas for outdoor cultivation", with South Australia, Victoria and the ACT also having outdoor plantations.

The report says that methamphetamine manufacturing in Australia is dominated by outlaw motorcycle gangs, with Queensland, NSW and South Australia being the primary production states.

And the report, compiled by the US Government's key drug-fighting agency, warns drug manufacturers in Australia are using a naturally occurring oil to make ecstasy.

It says that among the ingredients being used to make the drugs is oil from the sassafras plant.

"Australian law enforcement and customs officials are seizing increasing amounts of sassafras oil being smuggled through various ports of entry, such as Sydney and Melbourne. Sassafras oil produces

safrole, which can be used as a precursor chemical in the manufacture of MDMA (ecstasy)," the report says.

The report, compiled in July, 2005 says the majority of cocaine is being smuggled into Australia "by couriers on flights originating in South America" and, once in Australia, cars and Parcel Post are used to distribute the drugs around the country.

"As trade links with South America and immigration to Australia increase, the opportunities for cocaine traffickers also increase," the report says.

"As the number of direct commercial airline flights between Australia and South America increase, so does the opportunity for courier smuggling."

South-east Asia is cited as the major source of heroin in Australia, with Sydney being the main point of entry through airports and shipping containers.

The report is based on intelligence gathered by the DEA in Canberra in liaison with local authorities and will be used by the DEA in the global fight against drug trafficking.

Australia's lack of uniform drug laws also attracts criticism in the DEA report.

From News.com.au/Daily Telegraph

more than 200,000 heroin users in Australia.

Does anyone else think this doesn't seem like an alarming number within a population of ~20,000,000?
Maybe they were just throwing in the 'heroin' statistic to boost the emotive aspect of the artice...

Do not ever trust anything the DEA says ever!!

They are the most crooked corrupt bunch of psychopaths on the planet, and by far the most ideologically driven drug releated agency.

Not to say we don't have a major attraction to drugs over here though, I just wouldn't believe any statistics or their motives whatsoever....

Why the hell does the DEA care what we're doing. They should focus their efforts on their own screwed up country before they criticize us and they should also leave the work to the appropriate people such as interpol.

200000 Herion users. Thats a fair chunk of people. If Amphetamines are higher how many people take them?

Living_life : As a representation of the American Government's desire for global hegemony culturally and ideologically, the war on drugs means that EVERY country's business as regards drugs is going to be the DEA's business.

I find this article a bit wooly as very few indications are given as to how the information was collected and gathered in the first place which just means its probably the same flavour of recycled bullshit that flushes through the Daily Telegraph and so forth over here. Nothing more than the establishment making alarmist calls about the 'disturbing trends in drug use', indicating that civilised society will imminently be overthrown by needle punctured tv stealing junkies driven insane by mind altering drugs and unprotected group sex. ;)

Lets face it, if the government here isn't enough to drive you to heroin, I don't know what is. ;)

-plaz out-

I think it's also pretty amusing that whilst ecstacy and meth use is on the increase, at the same time cops crap on about how violents crimes are on the decrease.... perhaps it's just coincidence....

nothing but a big healthy AMEN to the previous two posters.

Plazma - do you necessarily disagree with the articles claim that drug use is increasing, or do you just question their means of arriving at that conclusion?

Because, while i havent been around the scene for long, i for one would have to say that i think drug use is definitely on the rise, and in a big way (IMHO). I dont think their statistics are well gathered, but i dont think they are disproportionate, im sure that for every erroneous user statistic they tick up, they're missing another one (or two) somewhere else anyway, so there is merit of some kind (even if that merit really belongs to us )%).

That 200 000 heroin users claim... while i dont have a source for it, im SURE ive read that number in numerous places over the course of quite a few years, and wouldnt give any weight to it. unless that is 1 time or more inclusive, it sounds rather ridiculous (i think... i could be way off.) though i feel relatively safe in saying that that number pales in comparison to the meth and/or E users, which is again belittled by # of MJ users.

just my 2c.

Last edited:
hahahahahahahahahaha

Marijuana is like The Kangaroo in Aus almost, everyone's seen one, almost everyones tried one :p

as for coke... I think most would be coming in by Boat... do you really think the border is safe if INDO fishermen have the time to not only fish in our waters but also, moor their boats and set up camp on the bank of the Archer River??? (Part of the mainland)

Methamphetamine and Bikers, tell me something new... it's the same in the states as well. Everyone forget about the states, they're just trying to get everyone's attention off their piss-poor, racist New Orleans episode!

SpecTBK=D

Living_life said:
Why the hell does the DEA care what we're doing. They should focus their efforts on their own screwed up country before they criticize us and they should also leave the work to the appropriate people such as interpol.

When hasn't the DEA cared what many countries do?? Heroin was prescribed legally in Aust and not any kind of social problem until sometime around the late 50s-early 60s when the US Govt put on the screws :X Not to metion the 'reefer-madness' years of the 20s 8)

Witness their threats to pullout of alliances/reneg on free trade agreements/halt foreign aid etc etc if a closely-tied country looks like going "soft on drugs" 8(

and hell we can't lose economic trade can we lol