Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Taking 5-htp and SAMe at the same time

Stone Free

Greenlighter
Well, I thought I would do the right thing and take both of these suppliments at the same time. My theory being that SAMe is supposed to help the serotonin receptors and 5-htp to help produce it in the first place. Just so you all know, I am a moderate user of MDMA so I just thought I could do a little repair job.

How wrong I was.

I took these in the morning and pretty much all day I felt really really awful. Like spaced out, nausious, and not at all comfortable. There was even a point of anxiety where I thought that I was going to do some serious harm to myself and pass out! All I did was watch telly which is not like me at all as I'm normally quite an active person.

Today I am fine though, but of course wiser for the experience.

Anyone else done this and found the same results??

ppl dont normally believe me when i say that 5-htp can give u a seratonin rush (at least after amphetamines). sounds to me like seratonin syndrome buddy! might wanna give that cocktail a miss next time :p

I bought SAMe once.

Worst $80 I ever spent. Did absolutly nothing.

Originally posted by shorza
I bought SAMe once.

Worst $80 I ever spent. Did absolutly nothing.
If SAMe is supposed to 'protect' your seretonin receptors rather than helping with the production of seretonin, wouldn't you expect to notice virtually nothing? Sort of like taking anti-oxidants. You don't 'feel' they are doing anything, but in truth they're great... Just a thought from outside the box ;)

I remeber buying some 5htp from a NZ online pharm. They offered some deal on SAMe with it but I declined cause it didn't seem worth it. I usually don't post load till after I have had first some food, then slept for a few hours.

I am of the impression that SAMe helps with the serotonin receptors, rather than protecting them it builds them back up.

The 5-HTP I take is branded as Proxan, and contains 80mg of 5-hydroxytryptophan, and also contains 25mg of S-Adenosyl Methionine (SAMe) per capsule. I've never had any issues with this after a night out on bikkies.

I have also taken SAMe MAXX (manufactured by Pretorius) by itself, which contains 200mg per tablet. Even though I wasn't using it to post-load, I found it made me quite agitated.

In short - I think it depends on how much SAMe you have with the 5-HTP. It may be ok to take it in small amounts, but probably not in high doses.

Psychadelic_Paisly said:
If SAMe is supposed to 'protect' your seretonin receptors rather than helping with the production of seretonin, wouldn't you expect to notice virtually nothing? Sort of like taking anti-oxidants. You don't 'feel' they are doing anything, but in truth they're great... Just a thought from outside the box ;)
Maybe so, but when i buy something for $80, i want to know it's doing something to me.

Otherwise, i'm better off sucking on a coin. Cheaper anyway.

The basics on SAM-e have been covered before, please search for "SAM-e" or "methionine" to find general information with references.

e.g. [1], [2]...

BigTrancer :)

Sorry, I had searched for SAMe but found that it came up with all threads that contained the word "same"... didn't think of using the hyphen.