• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Motavation

BlindWillie

Bluelighter
What should i do , i know its a retarded question and selfish but i'm really at a a loss, i'm in my graduate year of highschool which is great I am excited to get off to university but lately i've been very very sloppy , lazy is the word. All summer i jogged at least 4 times a week but mostly more, worked out 3-4 times was feeling great ,eating well but now since school started my diet is lacking (healthier than most people) , exercise is a no go lately i just seem to get off my ass and my Mary Jane intake has sky rocketed , and my memory is declining vividly..i know this may seem like a selfish post but i was hoping that maybe someone has had or going through similar experiences because i really want to do good and i really want to look and feel great and keep my mentality in shape , i just need some motivation

Brush the dust off and keep going! Speaking from personal experience: the intial stress of starting up school can cause you to pick up or increase bad habits such as poor eating, smoking, etc. What you have to do is recognize this fact, find ways to reduce your overall stress level, and find some healthier ways to deal with the stress you can't get rid of. Excuses are your worst enemies in this scenario.

edit: One last note - Please review your spelling skills before heading off to college.

Wanting to feel good and see yourself exceed in abilities is most definately selfish. Of course, not in a bad sense..

What do you like to do? What fuels your passion? Find whatever you chase after and go for it! Oh yeah.. and also try to stay away from indica varieties of cannabis, as they tend to bog you down in their narcotic properties. Sativa tends to be more of a friend to mental stimulation and the inquiring mind.

Some people might argue against this, but I'd say cut back on your "Mary Jane intake." When I was smoking a lot of weed, I exercised less, ate less healthily, cared less about school, etc; I was totally amotivated. Obviously, this depends from person to person but still... Plus, if you cut back your smoking, you'll have more time as well as more motivation.

Stagnant had some good advice as well. Once you find something you are passionate about, motivation will come naturally.

Ya man i'm a horrible at spelling but can read very well , if that makes sence lol , thanks for the advice everyone i'm going to work on it , since I have been doing good the last couple mounths I think I can over come this lapse fairly quickly and get on the right road once again, thanks

maybetinymaybesad said:
Some people might argue against this, but I'd say cut back on your "Mary Jane intake."

Anyone who argues this is blind. Its commonly known that marijuana causes motivational and memory problems. Stop the shit, trust me you'll feel better! I cant smoke it a lot like I used to when I was younger...no way. I have things i wanna do in life.

Decide what you want out of life..where you see yourself in 50 years. Work towards that goal, not towards the end of the school year.

btw, in college we do 'well' ;)

This is my first day of not smoking herb , i finished my homegrown sunday and last night i smoked my final rouch joint , im going to try and lay off the bud for 2 weeks see how i feel and keep on truckin' Ya man thats good advice, i've been trying alot harder lately i just need to stop worrying so much it's really clouding my thoughts... i think im going to try some yoga and meditiation maybe that will help?

"i think im going to try some yoga and meditiation maybe that will help?"

that will definitely help :)

MynameisnotDeja said:
Anyone who argues this is blind. Its commonly known that marijuana causes motivational and memory problems. Stop the shit, trust me you'll feel better! I cant smoke it a lot like I used to when I was younger...no way. I have things i wanna do in life.

Whoever blindly argues that marijuana causes anything except short term memory loss is indeed exactly that..

You cannot tell me that marijuana causes motivational problems, because I don't experience them! Nor do any scientists who have studyed it in depth.

Please don't preach your faith in drugs when they're subjective.

It's different for many people man , not everyone is biologically the alike , as for the yoga and meditation any good ideas for videos or sites to help me learn it , since i live in a small town yoga is like the devils magic so theres no real instructors around to teach me so i have to do it on a self help basis.

lol @ "the devils magic"

try finding a book called "Light on yoga" by B.K.S. Iyengar. Very informative.

StagnantReaction said:
Whoever blindly argues that marijuana causes anything except short term memory loss is indeed exactly that..

You cannot tell me that marijuana causes motivational problems, because I don't experience them! Nor do any scientists who have studyed it in depth.

actually you are mistaken, this is well established. Its actually called a-motivational syndrome and can be caused by any excessive psychedlic use. Just because it doesnt effect u doesnt mean it isnt true. but ya everyone i know who does abuse marijuana is extremly lazy and has motivational problems.

MARIJUANA PRODUCES AN AMOTIVATIONAL SYNDROME

Marijuana is said to have a deleterious effect on society by making users passive, apathetic, unproductive, and unable or unwilling to fulfill their responsibilities.

THE FACTS

The concept of an amotivational syndrome first appeared in the late 1960s, 68 as marijuana use was increasing among American youth. In the years since, despite the absence of an agreed-upon definition of the concept, numerous researchers have attempted to verify its occurrence.

Large-scale studies of high school students have generally found no difference in grade-point averages between marijuana users and non-users. 69 One study found lower grades among students reported to be daily users of marijuana, but the authors failed to identify a causal relationship and concluded that both phenomena were part of a complex of inter-related social and emotional problems. 70

In one longitudinal study of college students, after controlling for other factors, marijuana users were found to have higher grades than non-users 7l and to be equally as likely to successfully complete their educations. 72 Another study found that marijuana users in college scored higher than non-users on standardized "achievement values" scales. 73

Field studies conducted in Jamaica, Costa Rica and Greece also found no evidence of an amotivational syndrome marijuana-using populations.

In these samples of working-class males, the educational and employment records of marijuana users were, for the most part, similar to those of non-users. In fact, in Jamaica, marijuana was often smoked during working hours as an aid to productivity.

The results of laboratory studies have been nearly as consistent.

In one study lasting 94 days, marijuana had no significant impact on learning, performance or motivation. 74

In another 31-day study, subjects given marijuana worked more hours than controls and turned in an equal number of tokens for cash at the study's completion. 75

However, in a Canadian study that required subjects in the marijuana group to consume unusually high doses, some reduction in work efficiency was noted in the days following intoxication. 76

Undoubtedly, when marijuana is used in a way that produces near-constant intoxication, other activities are 1ikely to be neglected.

However, the weight of scientific evidence suggests that there is nothing in the pharmacological properties of cannabis that alter people's attitudes, values, or abilities regarding work.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_myth11.shtml

Source me on this well established fact, then.

StagnantReaction said:

Everyone is different, Im not denying that. But it causes motivational problems for MANY people, and that is pretty much common knowledge. So it makes sense, if you are having motivational issues and smoke weed, weed would be the first thing you should try giving up.

Its been my 5th day since not toking and this small amount of times have changed my sleeping habits for the better , i used to toke before bed then get up cranky , lazy now im refreshed and start the day with some workouts and during school seem to be able to project a better attitude , 5 days isnt much but it has changed a little , i can't wait to see what a mounth brings

I usually get motivation by just competing with someone else, basically just trying to prove other people wrong. There would be nothing sweeter than having a better existence than the people who look down on me, and talk shit about how drugs fuck up your life. I guess the weed counterculture isn't exactly suited for motivation and having a big ego. If you hang with people that are into nose candy or speed you're more likely to be more in tune with the whole corporate, making something of yourself kind of thing.

You don't necessarily have to quit smoking marijuana to have motivation. I just smoke at night when I have nothing to do. You can make a goal for the day, such as exercising, working out, or doing homework, then at night smoke a joint or whatever.