Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

narconon...

muzby

Bluelighter
what do people know about this service? (apart from the fact that it is run by scientologists...)

having had run ins with scientologists before (who told me that i was seriously depressed, didn't like interacting with people and was close to suicide, so i should join them..) i'm pretty keen to check this out, purely from a social experiment point of view.... i wanna see if they are keen to get people off substances, or keen to recruit new, vulnerable members...

(for those who don't know.. narconon is a drug and alcohol rehab service, very similar to AA.. but run by scientologists..............)

so yeah.. any info would be good, or if anyone knows people who have gone through the system....

once i go, i'll post findings if anyone else has the same morbid curiosity that i do...

It's not the same as Narcotics Anonymous.

I have been to many Narcotics Anonymous meetings in the past. At first I thought it was a crock of shit, just one big pity party to vent, but the funny thing was that even when I went to the meetings thinking "what a crock" I actually did get a bit from them.
I still don't fully believe in the whole 12 step program myself, but it's pending on the person. I myself prefer cognitive behavioural therapy.

But don't get Narcotics Anonymous and Narconon confused. They are two completely seperate entities. And I think it's disgusting that they would name in a similar vein to confuse people.

I doubt, knowing scientology, that it is much more than a recruitment agency. Sure they may even think themselves that they are doing something laudable, but there would be alterior motives buried in there somewhere.

On the other hand there are some decent christian organisations (such as St. Vincent De Pauls), but I've heard even the Salvation Army can get pretty heavy with people they supposedly want to help.

And scientology seems to fall a lot closer to cult status, than religious status to me. And most cults seem to be very interested in gaining converts quickly...

So you say you gotta know why the world goes 'round
And you can't find the truth in the things you've found
And you're scared shitless 'cuz evil abounds
Come join us
Well I heard you were looking for a place to fit in
Full of adherent people with the same objective
A family to cling to and call brethren
Come join us
All we want to do is change your mind
All you need to do is close your eyes
So come join us
Come join us
Come join us
Don't you see all the trouble that most people are in
And that they just want you for their own advantage
But I swear to you we're different from all of them
Come join us
I can tell you are lookin' for a way to live
Where truth is determined by consensus
Full of codified arbitrary directives
Come join us
All we want to have is your small mind
Turn it into one of our own kind
You can go through life adrift and alone
Deparate, desolate, on your own
But we're lookin' for a few more stalwart clones
So come join us
Come join us
Come join us
We've got spite and dedication as a vehement brew
The world hates us, well we hate them too
But you're exempted of course if you
Come join us
Independent, self-contented, revolutionary
Intellectual, brave, strong and scholarly
If you're not one of them, you're us already so
Come join us

- Bad Religion, Come Join Us

Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do....We do!

you're fucking not that stupid to believe in scientology are you muzby?

scientology is based on brain washing morons with absolute rubbish.

I have an unbelievable pamphlet from Narconon I picked up in my fish & chips shop a while ago. The utter rubbish they will write about drugs. Just imagine every hole-in-the-brain, heroin-in-pills drug myth you've ever heard been quoted as fact and gospel and that'll give you an idea.

Probably the furtherest extreme of anti-drug zealotry around.

^^ i've been of the same opinion for years, that Tom was closet.

Muzby, if you want to give all your money to someone, just so they listen to you then give it to me - I will listen. Hell, i'll even do a free personality test on you like they do :p

Very likely. I too have thought Tom to be gay for quite some time. Interesting that another hollywood spokesperson for Scientology - John Travolta - is also closet gay. It also seems quite likely that the church have some blacmail material on travolta relating to him and gay prostitution.. wonder if Tom is in a similar position.. heheh

And to those of you that think that Muzby is the least bit sucked in by Scientology - reread his post. Clearly he is not, he's just curious about what sort of op they're running wrt Narconon.

It seems pretty dodgy to me, unlikely to bother with actually trying to help people i would think. More interested in imposing their views and then converting. Cha-ching$$!!

hehe i did that free scientology iq test and personality too, with a friend, about 4 years ago, and they told me similar doom-ridden things about my personality too muzby :)

i loved the bit where they chart out your personality, and they point to a pre-printed line are are like "this is a NORMAL person" (the line is pretty steady with a few soft curves) and then they point out this jagged as fuck line that essentially peaks and troughs all over the page and are like " and THIS is YOU!!!!!" 8o!

Hahahaha fuck off I am not buying your literature you brainwashing cunts! :X

I went to a free personality test with a mate about 8years ago... we were told that we could definitely use some help... this may have been because while they were scoring our tests, they got us to watch this whacky dianetics video, and we were happily sitting in there singing along and quasi-harmonising with the shitey muzak that they had playing on the video. We were singing at the top of our lungs as well... and got some really weird looks from the people who opened the door to the video room to give us our results...

Scientologists are useless.

That said, their narconon program is not only useless it is fucking dangerous in terms of disinformation.

Muzby it'll be interesting for you to go in there and just generally take them for a ride then laugh continually at them for quite a while...

hoptis, i too recieved a brochure from them "E=Enemy"... it was the most misinformed, pathetic excuse for brainwashing with false information i'd ever seen... i recall reading in it vaguely a story about someone using e for the first time, and apparently, they scratched their skin to pieces chanting for hours "im an orange! peel me"... its quite sad the propaganda they use to create fear, and notion of recieving a "higher state" (that of a drug user)simply through becoming a member of their group, and an elite member of society through doing so... i wouldnt recommend it to anyone...

...kytnism...:|

pete_gasparino said:
I didn't know they were Scientologists, certainly never had any references to that on the pamphlet my friend got.

They actually hide the connection to Scientology pretty well. Try looking at the small print on their pamphlets, there's usually a credit or disclaimer that says something like "L. Ron Hubbard Productions".

8)

How can they just expect people to blindly take these large tablets? I'd trust any drug dealer before I'd trust them. I hope they have testing kits there ;)

Wasn't Tom Cruise talking about the fact that everything from post-natal depression to cancer could be cured by Vitamins?

Clearly these people love their vitamins :D

I've read a bit debunking Narconon on the net - don't have the links anymore but you should be able to track it down.

The narconon program includes high doses of vitamins - at a possibly dangerous level. DO NOT try this shit!

Oh look - I typed 'narconon' into google & found this:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/safety.htm

just for the record... i am NOT considering joining scientology...

i purely want to do this for a social experiment, and then report what goes on back to anyone on here who is interested....

pfft.. as if i'd want to clean up my act.. i'm an angel... ;)

yeah..narconon's fucked up. i went to the louisiana one and it was like being in hell and constantly being poked with a stick. they constantly made me move around so "i wouldnt think about things" and i couldnt lay down unless i was sleeping; they also made me sleep with the lights on because i'd said i wanted to kill myself. its a fucked place.

WTF... talk about bump

this thread is old school

It was interesting to see names like Keystroke and pete_gasparino in a thread on Aus Social again

Last edited: