Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

'Party Drug Initiative' 2004 reports

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
'Party Drugs Initiative' 2005 reports

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know that the state and national reports from the Party Drug Initiative from last year are available for download here.

Last edited:
2005 reports are available now (thanks NDARC for posting to your website quite quickly this year!)

National 2005 report

Link to state reports

The national report is a large doc so you may not have the inclination to read it all - here is a quote from one section I think is interesting:

12.3 Summary
 For the first time, in 2005, participants were asked a series of questions relating to the content, purity and testing of ecstasy tablets and the use of ‘information resources’.
 Of the national sample, nearly one-third (36% ) of participants ‘never’ found out the content of drugs other than ecstasy, while a fifth ‘sometimes’ (21% ) or ‘always’ did (21% ).
 Twenty-eight percent reported finding out the content of an ecstasy tablet ‘always’ and a further 25% found out ‘most times’ and 23% ‘sometimes’.
 Eighty-one percent reported asking a friend about the content of an ecstasy tablet while a further 55% asked a dealer and 26% used testing kits.
 Of those who reported using testing kits (n=179), 42% reported using them ‘sometimes’, 26% ‘always’, 18% ‘most times’ and 11% ‘half the time’.
 Fifty-six percent stated that they were aware of the limitations of testing kits.
 Ninety-eight percent reported that they would still take the tablet if a testing kit revealed that the tablet contained an ‘ecstasy-like substance’
 Two-thirds (64% ) of the sample answered ‘testing kits’ followed by ‘local websites’ (56% ) and ‘pamphlets’ (44% ) as the form of drug information source they would find useful. (p. 147 - National report)

What does everyone think about the 26% using testing kits figure? (this is from 800 odd people around Australia who use ecstasy at least monthly)

Tronica said:
What does everyone think about the 26% using testing kits figure? (this is from 800 odd people around Australia who use ecstasy at least monthly)

Seems like a pretty high figure tbh. Most people I know outside of bluelight, who use pills, haven't even heard of testing kits. I'd think that the methods of recruiting people for the research may have something to do with it.

That's a good point, katmeow. I agree that testing is quite unknown outside of people I know who found out about it here (or who I haven't preached to!).

The last dot point is interesting though: when asked what resources people would find useful if they were more available, 64% said test kits, it was mentioned more than any other option. Perhaps more people would use them if they were easier to access/organise.