• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Energy supplements before exercise

star*

Bluelighter
I do gym and run about 5-6 days per week. I've gotten into the bad habit of having stimulant type supplements before i train and i REALLY want to steer clear of this because i believe its counter productive long term and also the caffiene seems to be producing mild anxiety effects later on that same day ive taken it.

My problem is i really really need SOMETHING to boost my energy leves before i train otherwise if i train without having anything i feel like i can only put in about 60-70%. I want to know what other people use, if anything at all? I usually take 10ml l-carnitine and either a coffee (only one heaped teaspoon) or a thermogenic supplement. I started doing this because i wanted more energy before workouts and i can definately notice a big difference in that i can train so much harder, like 100%, but i hate the after effects of feeling sketchy. I think i'm quite sensitive to caffiene, i feel it has negative effects on my nervous system even in small doses.
Is their anything else anyone could reccommend? I dont really find ginseng to much benefit.

Before you train do you take any supplements? If so what are they and how do they make you feel during and after.

Last edited:
Try acetyl-l-carnitine instead of l-carnitine. I'll usually take a 550mg cap of ALCAR with a cup of matcha ~45 minutes before running, and feel great afterwards.

I also take r-ala (r-isomer alpha lipoic acid) after working out, as well as CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) three times a day, not to mention ALCAR at other times as well. Works pretty well for me.

Personally I don't see a problem with using a reasonable amount of caffeine. It works great for me as an energy booster and mild thermogenic. Using a stronger stimulant like ephedra/ephedrine etc and you are probably risking health problems.

If you need more energy during weight lifting you could use a sports drink to rehydrate instead of water during your workout. The constant intake of simple carbs should keep you energized. Obviously this isn't a good choice for cardiovascular exercise, assuming your goal is fat loss.

How quickly are the carbohydrates (sugars et al) absorbed?

My understanding was that to succesfully pre-load before a workout you should be having any supplements 20-30 mins prior to beginning a workout?

This seems to be also true for during excercise.. I know when running long distance (20+ km) using gels/sports supplements is fairly neccessary but need to be taken 20-30 mins prior to your body actually requiring them (along with some water to help dilute them and aid ingestion).

I'm finding recently that I'm needing quite a bit of extra energy in the form of protien bars/protien shakes, probably mainly for their sugar content... is it best to pre or post load with these supplements?

I suppose on a 60-70% intensity workout you're going to need them pre-during-post regardless just because your body will be using so much energy?

Also regarding caffiene, I've heard that absorbtion through coffee isn't all that succesfull and proper caffiene tablets (eg. Nodoze) are a better bet, this also would more accuratley control your dosages.. is there much truth to this?

Personally I think training on caffiene isn't a crash hot idea, it promotes dehydration and over stimulates your body, I'd think pre-loading on energy bars or some other form of supplement would be much better for you and stimulate your body through metabolism of the energy rather than artifically through the stimulant of caffiene.

Last edited:
nndmt said:
Why not just get some steroids?;-) Nah, just kidding, but they are easy to get, and who wouldn't want to boost their performance, if it wasn't for those darn side effects...

why oh why do people say this? FUCK steroids in there ass.. why would u want to build your body but have problems with your gear.. what the point of bein massive and picking up shallow sluts but not even be able to finish the job when u take em home.. if you can even get it up.. dont use steroids..

turkish said:
why oh why do people say this? FUCK steroids in there ass.. why would u want to build your body but have problems with your gear.. what the point of bein massive and picking up shallow sluts but not even be able to finish the job when u take em home.. if you can even get it up.. dont use steroids..

He siad without side effects. I would be doing them now without a doubt if it weren't for the side effects. Who wouldn't?

You can def take more l-carn than 10mg. I would also suggest alcar, at least 550 mg, you take more. I take 3 grams a day prob.

caffeine is the better compared ot ginseng. try chocamine, its caffeine without as much side effects and since its powered dosing is more exact.

I just try to ignore that post-caffine "crash", but your right I wouldn't want to do it daily.

a nice juicy shot of test-suspension before workout 100mg in the arse or quad or shoulder whichever you prefer,and even a nice lick of a cheque drop or even pop under tongue leave it there and let that temper boil over into manic rage tearing those weights appart,god i am so hard and tough guy's beleive me please lol

Dave said:
Try acetyl-l-carnitine instead of l-carnitine.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave! :) Just to add to that, i did a bit of research to differentiate between the two.

In case anyone else is interested.

Acetyl-L-carnitine is similar in form to the amino acid L-carnitine and also has some similar functions, such as being involved in the metabolism of food into energy. The acetyl group that is part of acetyl-L-carnitine contributes to the production of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is required for mental function

The acetyl group of acetyl l carnitine is also used to form acetyl-CoA, the most important intermediary in the generation of energy from amino acids, fats, and carbohydrates. Therefore, acetyl l carnitine serves as an energy reservoir of acetyl groups and both acetylcarnitine and carnitine help improve energy production

Carnitine is not able to cross the blood-brain barrier as well as its activated form Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Acetyl-l-carnitine has a significantly more noticeable effect on the mind than carnitine. Acetyl-l-carnitine usually enhances mental clarity and focus, along with slight mood elevation. The effects of carnitine are more physicial than mental, in the sense that carnitine may provide physical energy whereas acetyl-l-carnitine provides more mental energy.

Also slyvan: i was taking 10ML which = 500mg.

Can you get alcar in liquid form?

Also just to update. I stopped caffeine before gym/jogging and while i havent been able to keep up with the intesity (it's dropped only slightly), i still have the endurance and i feel a shitloads better now after a workout so its all good!

Thanks guys :)

I only use a vitamin supplement most of the time.
I pop one about 2 hours before I train.

star* said:

Also just to update. I stopped caffeine before gym/jogging and while i havent been able to keep up with the intesity (it's dropped only slightly), i still have the endurance and i feel a shitloads better now after a workout so its all good!

Thanks guys :)

Werd to that! Keep it up :)

Try gensing suppliments. Some work wonders some don't. Try your pick. Some even have traces of caffein in them but healthy amounts for some of you caffein addicts.

star*- ALCAR is usually sold either encapsulated or as a bulk powder, but is reasonably soluble in water. Keep in mind that it will have a somewhat vinegary taste (from the acteyl group), but unless you make a very concentrated solution I doubt that it would be a problem.

^^^
I dissolve mine in water, it doesn't taste bad, more strong.

star* said:
Also slyvan: i was taking 10ML which = 500mg.

Can you get alcar in liquid form?

Oh, I thought a typo-o

Never saw it in liquid form.

VelocideX said:
CLA reduces life expectancy... best to avoid it.

Riserus U, Vessby B, Arnlov J, Basu S.
Effects of cis-9,trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid supplementation on insulin sensitivity, lipid peroxidation, and proinflammatory markers in obese men.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):279-83.

BACKGROUND: We recently showed that trans-10,cis-12 (t10,c12) conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) causes insulin resistance in obese men. However, metabolic effects of the c9,t11 CLA isomer are still unknown in obese men. Because c9,t11 CLA is the predominant CLA isomer in foods and is included in dietary weight-loss products, it is important to conduct randomized controlled studies that use c9,t11 CLA preparations. ...

In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 25 abdominally obese men received 3 g c9,t11 CLA/d or placebo (olive oil). Before and after 3 mo of supplementation, we assessed insulin sensitivity (hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp), lipid metabolism, body composition, and urinary 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2alpha) (a major F(2)-isoprostane) and 15-keto-dihydro-prostaglandin F(2alpha), markers of in vivo oxidative stress and inflammation, respectively.

RESULTS: ... Compared with placebo, c9,t11 CLA decreased insulin sensitivity by 15% (P < 0.05) and increased 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2alpha) and 15-keto-dihydro-prostaglandin F(2alpha) excretion by 50% (P < 0.01) and 15% (P < 0.05), respectively. The decreased insulin sensitivity was independent of changes in serum lipids, glycemia, body mass index, and body fat but was abolished after adjustment for changes in 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2alpha) concentrations. There were no differences between groups in body composition. CONCLUSIONS: A CLA preparation containing the purified c9,t11 CLA isomer increased insulin resistance and lipid peroxidation compared with placebo in obese men. Because c9,t11 CLA occurs in commercial supplements as well as in the diet, the present results should be confirmed in larger studies that also include women.

Riserus U, Basu S, Jovinge S, Fredrikson GN, Arnlov J, Vessby B.
Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-dependent oxidative stress and elevated C-reactive protein: a potential link to fatty acid-induced insulin resistance.
Circulation. 2002 Oct 8;106(15):1925-9.

In a double-blind placebo-controlled trial, 60 men with metabolic syndrome were randomized to one of 3 groups receiving t10c12 CLA, a CLA mixture, or placebo for 12 weeks. Insulin sensitivity (euglycemic clamp), serum lipids, in vivo lipid peroxidation (determined as urinary 8-iso-PGF(2alpha) [F2-isoprostanes]), 15-ketodihydro PGF(2alpha), plasma vitamin E, plasma C-reactive protein, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and interleukin-6 were assessed before and after treatment. Supplementation with t10c12 CLA markedly increased 8-iso-PGF(2alpha) (578%) and C-reactive protein (110%) compared with placebo (P<0.0001 and P<0.01, respectively) and independent of changes in hyperglycemia or dyslipidemia. The increases in 8-iso-PGF(2alpha), but not in C-reactive protein, were significantly and independently related to aggravated insulin resistance. Oxidative stress was related to increased vitamin E levels, suggesting a compensatory mechanism.

CONCLUSIONS: t10c12 CLA supplementation increases oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers in obese men. The oxidative stress seems closely related to induced insulin resistance, suggesting a link between the fatty acid-induced lipid peroxidation seen in the present study and insulin resistance. These unfavorable effects of t10c12 CLA might be of clinical importance with regard to cardiovascular disease, in consideration of the widespread use of dietary supplements containing this fatty acid.

Larsen TM, Toubro S, Astrup A.
Efficacy and safety of dietary supplements containing CLA for the treatment of obesity: evidence from animal and human studies.
J Lipid Res. 2003 Dec;44(12):2234-41.

Dietary supplements containing conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) are widely promoted as weight loss agents available over the counter and via the Internet. In this review, we evaluate the efficacy and safety of CLA supplementation based on peer-reviewed published results from randomized, placebo-controlled, human intervention trials lasting more than 4 weeks. We also review findings from experimental studies in animals and studies performed in vitro.

CLA appears to produce loss of fat mass and increase of lean tissue mass in rodents, but the results from 13 randomized, controlled, short-term (<6 months) trials in humans find little evidence to support that CLA reduces body weight or promotes repartitioning of body fat and fat-free mass in man. However, there is increasing evidence from mice and human studies that the CLA isomer trans-10, cis-12 may produce liver hypertrophy and insulin resistance via a redistribution of fat deposition that resembles lipodystrophy. ...

In conclusion, although CLA appears to attenuate increases in body weight and body fat in several animal models, CLA isomers sold as dietary supplements are not effective as weight loss agents in humans and may actually have adverse effects on human health.

Thanks Velocide! I think that I'll have to dig a bit more myeslf before I stop taking the stuff, but it's given me something to think about.