Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why use drugs when overseas?

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
As a long time reader of this forum, I see these threads that pop up every few months or so asking if particular drugs are legal/illegal, hard/easy to get in other countries.

A lot of these threads relate to countries which have very punitive drug policies in comparison to Australia. In some cases, these have been very highly publicised (i.e. Bali), yet people are still considering using drugs there.

Don't get me wrong, I love my drugs as much as the next person, but really, is it that important that you need it to get through your overseas holiday? To me, there is so much more to gain traveling overseas by staying sober, not to mention the risks that you take using drugs in some of our most common holiday destinations.

Will taking drugs really enhance your holiday that much that it's worth taking the risk?

imagine viewing thae grand canyons. Then smoking salvia. Then viewing the grand canyons.

^agreed. The potential consequences are just so much worse than here in Oz. In Victoria, you can even get a pre-court diversion for a first offence possession. Compare that with what is happening in Bali to that poor model. I think in Australia it's easy for people to forget that drugs are even illegal - so few people actually get busted outside of the street heroin scene. So it's probably not that surprising that some people forget where they are when travelling - and do dumb shit. Hell - when I was in France a few years back I heard a story from Brazillian backpacker - he was held in police cells for three days after they found a packet of ciggy papers with a bit of the cardboard ripped off in his pocket. F*** that!!

While its completely stupid and a lot of these countries have much harsher penalties than at home many people seem to ignore that. There seems to be a culture amongst us that anything goes while on holiday. Especially in Indonesia, Thailand drugs seem to be rife amongst tourists. A lot of people will seem to do things while on holiday that they wouldn't at home. Ignoring the law of that country and just assuming they are 'free' just because they are on holiday?

This attitude probably has something to do with a lot of tourist destinations being really known for drugs. Some people find it incredibly hard to source drugs in their home town but go to any tourism hot spot overseas and the dealers basically come to you. Hell some places you go to even sell things in the corner store, think Amsterdam which seems to thrive of the tourist drug trade.

It's not just using drugs overseas, its now not wise to visit countries with strict laws over drugs if you use them in your own country.

I will not even venture to Bali. I heard on the news that they are now able to randomly urine test you in bars. I wouldn't even consider using over there, however my lifestyle at home could land me years in an Indonesian prison.

No Thanks.

I have to sound stupid, but shit, if I'm going for a bigass holiday and its going to be a proper holiday, sure to fuck I'm going to want to get trashed at some point. I think the point is though, if you WANT to do that, and want that additional little rush to add on to your trip overseas, you got to take the risks as they come. I'd like to note that I'm not going to be heading to Bali any time fucking soon though. Screw them, I'll take my tourist dollars elsewhere. ;)

On a slightly related note, ever noticed how the media attention of the Australian drug victims in Bali has definately been dependent on their physical attractiveness? Like the Bali 9 get fuckall coverage, but some silly bint model getting caught with 2 pills gets a media circus a la Schapelle.

-plaz out-

In terms of getting caught, you just gotta be smart... As long as you stay away from Amphetamines and Cannabis, the risks of getting caught are greatly lowerd - however not eliminated.

I doubt the Urine tests in Bali test for Mescaline or LSD as these tests are generally difficult, time consuming and expensive for all those involved. They wouldnt be on their priority lists either because non of these drugs have commercial viability in Asia

I once tripped on acid at ancient buddhist temples in Thailand, was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Nowhere is it set in stone that individuals should not enhance their holiday with drugs.

If this were true we should say away from booze while travelling too ;)[

Last edited:
^ I agree - it's about being a bit smart. The poor unfortunates who've hit the media lately don't seem to fit that category (don't like to hear the word 'bogan' but....)

As far as media coverage - being spunky helps - so does being skippy ;)

As the last person to start a thread regarding taking drugs in a foreign country with harsh drug laws i presume that this thread was inspired by me. Im not definetly planning on taking drugs in thailand and i know that the laws are harsh but what i was trying to find out is whether there was any actual risk of getting caught or not and whether or not anything would actually happen for a minor personal possesion. I guess the reason why i wanted to take drugs in thailand is in Phuket i plan on a few big nights out on the town mixing with other backpacker/tourist types in bars/ clubs and there is nothing i would enjoy more than doing it on E. Because as far as good nights out go nights on E take the cake. I think it'd be awesome walking around having off tap "i feel like i've known you all my life yet i dont know your name" conversations with a random assortment of foreign tourists. But thats not to say i definetly will it was just an idea of which i was clarifying the details.

I suppose if you look the "part" ie like a druggie! you'll be looked at speciously and attract attention to yourself.

I cut my hair and changed my look after a year in this new town/state I moved to. I got tired of getting pulled over here in the states. Now i fit in! But when i get home i toss the cowboy boots and hat and put on the tie dyes and spark up a blow!

Anyhow Come to the states sometimes for a visit. There are some great places to trip;) smoking sally on the south rim of the Grand Canyon is awsome. Taking 4 hits of quality LSD in Yosemite is breath taking to say the least, or walking throw the Giant Redwoods definitely transports you to different dimension indeed, Or in the froest near where I live WOW!

Remember if you come for a visit, every state has slightly different laws; most impotently if you don't look like a druggie you'll be very safe here; anywhere in fact. After all why do you think fads and dress styles are created, the short answer is profiling. The law likes that part "profiling" I'm shure it is like that every where in this small world we live on.
cheers

Last edited:
chopped_chimp. i am goign to thailand and im a little worried about these random urine tests. how long does pot and pills stay in your system? how long should i abstain from these before i go over? also it's not just in these asian countries, you can get randomly swabbed or somethign at australian airports

Sober

There's also much to gain from not taking illicit drugs here in Australia.

Some people still want to have that extra fun...no matter where they are.

Some people its just a lifestyle. Some call it, an addiction. For some, being in another country wouldn't matter.

If people do ask, we give them accurate information, then they make their decision based upon what we've said. If they get caught, they can't blame anyone else but themselves.

chopped_chimp said:

I will not even venture to Bali. I heard on the news that they are now able to randomly urine test you in bars. I wouldn't even consider using over there, however my lifestyle at home could land me years in an Indonesian prison.

No Thanks.

I'd never go there again either, its obvious that all this publicity has made bribing the "usual" people impossible, 20 years ago you could pay your way out of anything in Indonesia.

Imagine sitting in a Bali jail for smoking a J at home before you left.
Random testing is very bad in this case.

Not to mention the amount of drug dealers in Bali, they don't just take no for an answer and they will approach you EVERY day, and really put the pressure on.

Really if you want to take drugs while on holidays, there is much better places to visit.

i just came back from bali recently, sure enough drugs are there but i dont agree with you saying that they dont take no for an answer, say no keep walking, simple as, not once did i get the pressure put on as you say it, i personally think u get offered drugs more on a night out in australian citys.
i would go back there anyday, do the right thing and respect their laws and you "should" be right. i never saw any random testing while i was over there. i dont agree with there harsh sentencing but well thats there law, what can u do?

:D

giant_slayer said:
chopped_chimp. also it's not just in these asian countries, you can get randomly swabbed or somethign at australian airports

Yes!:( I was swabbed in Brisbane airport this year and was petrified as I'd just handled some of the most stinky gear 25 mins earlier in the toilet!

She swabbed my clothes and BAG! Luckily I finished my stash in the toilets beforehand I still had an LSD tab on me but that wasn't detected and I arrived at my destination safely.:| =D

1UnFuZeD said:
i just came back from bali recently, sure enough drugs are there but i dont agree with you saying that they dont take no for an answer, say no keep walking, simple as, not once did i get the pressure put on as you say it, i personally think u get offered drugs more on a night out in australian citys.
i would go back there anyday, do the right thing and respect their laws and you "should" be right. i never saw any random testing while i was over there. i dont agree with there harsh sentencing but well thats there law, what can u do?

:D

I haven't been there for many years, Maybe things are different now.
what frustrates me is the fact they are basically saying its Australians selling all the drugs in Bali, I certainly didn't see anyone besides indonesians selling the drugs. I'm not known for my strong will power and when someone shows me a huge block of hash, its tempting to say the least.