Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

why take drugs?

ABRAKADABRA

Bluelighter
hi again

so i have been reading more of these forums in the last hour....i actually thought this was a clubbing site and did not realise it was drug related. i cant believe that there is such a thing available on the net for ppl to talk about drugs in such a way. it seems almost like you guys are promoting drug use! how can you do that?! im pretty openminded about a lot of things but i have to say i am anti drugs. i am not saying anyone here is bad but i just CANNOT understand how you can talk about drugs in such an open way and promote it s use so much.

Drugs really fuck up peoples lives. i have seen it first hand with a friend and ice. he WAS a great guy, had his shit sorted out. then he got involved the wrong ppl and developed an ice habit then started dealing the shit. i have not talked to him in a year ( his own decision not to see me, he lost a lot of friends) and i don't know what has become of him now.

So i just ask you....why do you take drugs? Arent there better things to do to get a natural high? im not trying to judge anyone here, i just want to know why people make these choices in their lives and what gets them to that point? What is so good about it all?

"Drugs really fuck up peoples lives."

Agreed but disagreed. Drugs really fuck up SOME peoples lives. Alot of people have good times on drugs, alot of people dont get addicted, alot of people use it in moderation, alot of people are carefull with stuff..this site is about boasting about drugs or promoting them. Its about harm reduction, if you ask anyone on this site they will tell you that no matter what if people want to use drugs there going to use drugs. Bluelight is about minimising harm so that the people that DO decide to take risk..take minimal risks.

I understand that your anti drugs, and throughout my life so far ive never once been able to persuade and anti drug person to see things openly about drugs. Anti drug people are set to anti drugs and cant see anything past that..all im trying to say is you cant understand because your not a drug user..you dont and probaly cant see it like drug users can. Maybe im right maybe im wrong..its just my 2 cents..i dont mean to offend you at all tho so sorry if i have.

Forgot to answer ur question. Honestly sometimes i take drugs to escape but alot of the time its for something extra out of a situation. Yes sometimes there are better natural highs..and sometimes there isnt..i dont see how naturally you could get stoned or see insane visuals. People make these choices in their lives because they can live with the fact that it may not be all that good for there health. Sometimes being bad on ur body is worth it, because the experience you get out of it is amazing. However i will say yes drugs ruine lives because people become addicted..and thats a problem most drug users think about and most dont let it come to that.

Well the number one reason i would have to say is that they are fun. Experiencing altered states of consciousness are good for a bit of variety as being sober gets a little boring. Of course drugs have their problems, risks and sideaffects but that is why the bluelight forums are here in the firstplace is for harm minimisation. Although they may appear to encourage drug use and infact probably do a little bit they encourage the drug use itself to be more informed and thus safer and a lot less likely to cause someone harm. And in my opinion the fact that the drug use is causing less harm far outweighs the few people who may take up drug use because we appear to promote it and make it look safer.

Also i also know people that have done alot of harm to themselves on drugs and in all cases it is because of irresponsible uninformed drug use not just the drugs themselves. Im sorry your friend has fucked themselves up on drugs and i dont know what your stance on alcohol is, but alcohol is also a drug that has fucked up plenty of peoples lives yet because alcohol is socially acceptable even if someone knows an alcoholic they aren't too likely to think of alcohol as evil because they know of so many other instances where alcohol isnt a problem for people. Yet in the case of drugs when people know someone who has fucked themselves over they will blame the drugs because they dont know that many drug users who have done it relatively problem free.

Can i enquire as to your binge drinking habits?
I have seen thousands of peoples lifes ruined from abuse of this legal substance, every year i hear smokers complaining as to their not being enough cancer assistance for them and other bullshit, hence more lifes ruined by LEGAL drugs... im not saying one drug is better than another but i am saying that i know of a lot more people who have been harmed by legal drugs than illegal one.

It's simple. Drugs have positive effects as well as negative effects. If there were no positives then people wouldn't do it. Like a lot of things in life, if you want the positive effects from an activity you have to risk the negative effects. In order to use drugs sensibily, you have to keep the positive and negative effects in balance, and not neglect the negative while chasing greater positives. This is quite hard to do, and is the reason why drugs have the potential to ruin someone's life.

It's like sky diving. When you look at it logically, there's no good reason to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane. There's the very real risk that you'll die doing it. But people still do it regardless. Why? There must be some sort of benefit, which cannot be understood until you've actually done it.

What's the difference between the drugs and sky diving? You can't jump out of an aeroplane until you've done a lot of training, and understand what you need to do to maximise your chances of staying alive. Sky diving is highly regulated and professionally operated, because unlike drug use it's not forced to hide it's existance. Drug users don't get tutorials and lessons forced on them - they have to choose whether to understand what they're doing, or to merely "jump out of the plane" with no idea what's going to happen.

My point is, that if a drug user is willing to take the time to train themselves in the risks and benefits of their activity, it can easily be done with a minimised risk. And if you can understand and reduce those risks as much as possible, then the positive effects are there to be enjoyed.

It's not for everyone. But the people you see who "ruin their lives" are the ones jumping without the parachutes. You rarely hear about the users who float safely back to the ground and then go about their normal lives. :)

Greatings ABRA!

Welcome to Bluelight first of all! Its great to hear from people who choose to say away from substances and as always, any opinion is welcome!

First I would like to say there are many different types of drug users and drug use. The media and the news reports only tend to focus on the negitive side of drug use. This is merely bias. As you may already know, alcohol is responsible for more murder, rape, unwanted pregnancy and crime then any other substance on earth. However, because it is culturally acceptable for people to drink, we dont hear much from it in the modern day media system. This may mean you are not getting the big picture.

You mentioned your friend using Ice and messing himself up. Im sorry to hear that. However you must understand that there are many kinds of drug users. Just like there are many kinds of drinkers. You have those who drink compulsivly until they pass out, and there are those who enjoy a beer of a nice sunny day. Should alcohol be banned because of those who drink to excess? Why should everyone who is responsible have to pay for their mistakes? Its the same with drug use. There are users, like myself, who goto uni, study hard, work hard, create and have wonderful productive lives in general - and i use drugs.

Intent also plays a big part in this. I use psychedelic (including MDMA) drugs, now putting all the superstition and urban ledgends aside, they do actually have something to give to society and humanity. In the 60s and 70s these drugs were used by psychotherapists, doctors and scientists for human research on mental disorders. There were many promising results which changed the way we viewed the workings of the human mind forever. These days governments spread negitive propaganda and fear mongering to scare young people away from such consciousness expansion. So, quite clearly the drug issue is not as black and white as the majority of people think.

If you care to browse through this site, you will see that we are all people, like yourself, however we choose to change our consciousness in a way in which society tends to object to. This site is set up as a information hyperspace for individuals to ask all sorts of questions relating to their drug use and seek advice when needed. Although i believe harm reduction is hard in this current enviroment, I must admit bluelight does a good job in promoting sensible drug use.

You must also realise the the negitive government propaganda can also be viewed as promoting drug use to those who wish to rebel against authority.

I urge you to check out a few of the following websites :

www.erowid.org

www.maps.org

www.enlighten-hr.org

Please also remember, not all drugs are the same.... Ice i would consider to be a fairly distructive substance to be avoided. But comparing ice to say, psilocybin mushrooms would be like comparing chalk to cheese.

So to answer you're question. "Why take drugs?" I choose to say , Why not? now that we have established that responsible an educated use leads to a positive, life changing outcome.

People have been using substances for 1000s of years. Its a part of the human condition and it will always be, nomatter what laws are made against this.

Once again, welcome!

Peace, love and light :)

Last edited:
wow I thought i would have got flamed big time for this post! it's cool you didnt :) you guys put some interesting points across...especially the bit about the site not promoting drug use but rather promoting harm minimisation. I think having seen some opinions of drug users (and you all seem pretty normal intelligent people), my view has changed a bit.

and as someone said in the thread, i'm not a drug user so i probably dont know enough about drug use and the way it can be used in moderation in life so i cant really say anything against it without being involved first.

someone also asked about my binge drinking habits. i used to be a bit of binge drinker (not really that much actually, i was never totally inebriated and im also quite small) but recently not so much because i put on weight (damn alcohol!) so decided to cut back on drinking every wknd..but yeah i understand what you are saying with the alcohol v's drugs thing. i have definitely seen some bad things happen b/c of alcohol.

anyway i will continue reading these forums as it is interesting to me! i guess it is a world that i don't really know much about and that interests enough to learn about it. and i guess the fact that i don't know much about it means that i may have distorted views about the subject..

i have also seen a very extreme use of drug use, i have not seen normal people be able to take drugs and have balance in their lives. i have just seen the bad side so that has shaped my views as well. i realise that it depends on the person and their willpower and the drugs aren't to blame themselves.

so once again, thanks for welcoming me into your forum even if i am on the totally opposite end of the sprectrum to you guys!! you've changed my views a little...don't know im ready to start dabbling myself yet hehe but who knows ;)

Full credit for being open minded about it all and not judging anyone! Don't let anyone here convince you too much though! ;)

Being open minded is enough - if your view point changes to one where you don't see anything wrong with using drugs, that doesn't mean it's time to start. If in the future you decide you want to try it out, bluelight is definitely the best place to learn about what you're about to do. But make sure you know for sure what you're in for - having no moral objection is one thing, but learning to respect the substances is the important bit.

Bluelight isn't all just about good drug use stories either - check out The Dark Side forum for stories and posts about when things go bad. Bluelight might seem to have a pro-drugs slant sometimes, and some individual users might blatently promote drug use, but on the whole bluelight is fairly balanced. :)

I have allot of respect for you ABRAKADABRA, have not only proved to be an intelligent person but also the ability to attempt to see things from a vastly differing perspectives. This is great to see as on many occasions people are very close minded about these types of issues.

Just to give you an idea about the type of people who frequent this site I will tell you a little about myself. Generally people are careful about giving out even remotely personal information on bluelight for obvious reason. Here goes anyway:

Im a twenty something currently at university studying. Currently Im doing my thesis in X

EDITED: Personal stuff removed in paranoid fit of drug related stupidity, ah the irony !

. I continued using drugs and found that I could balance my study, social and other aspects of my life if I was careful.
I discovered bluelight and began to be aware of many of the more subtle dangers of drug ab/use. Due to peer education through this site I started ensuring I always tested my drugs using reagents before consuming them. This made the potential harm of drug use less probable. I also started to educate my drug using friend about safer drug use and introduced some of them to bluelight.
Basically through this and a number of other sites I have managed to reduce the possible harm to myself and others around me through education.

Consider this analogy; if you decided to drive on slippery roads wouldn't you want someone to show you how to use a seat belt?

Last edited:
ABRAKADABRA said:
i have also seen a very extreme use of drug use, i have not seen normal people be able to take drugs and have balance in their lives. i have just seen the bad side so that has shaped my views as well. i realise that it depends on the person and their willpower and the drugs aren't to blame themselves.

Is this based on the assumption that people you see functioning competently in society on an everyday basis don't do drugs? Because I think you'll find that drug use is much more prevalent than you previously thought. Drug users aren't some sort of malevolent being - on the contraire, drugs permeate all levels of the social strata from poor kids living down in the ghettos to hollywood stars. True, many normal, perfectly capable and intelligent men and women like to indulge from time to time. Drug use can be detrimental, but as others have pointed out, if used sensibly and in moderation can be enjoyed with little to no adverse effect. Props for being able to wrap your head around all of this - it's refreshing to see a bit of free thought generating from someone in your position as opposed to the usual ignorant crap that is usually spouted from someone who's only seen the bad side of drugs.

After a bit of digging I found this old gem, which has some good discussions from people from a while back.

There's other links in there to an ancient thread on this topic too -- some really good viewpoints presented quite articulately... I guess it's natural that many drugs have quite an introverted character which lends itself well to self-analysis... or paranoia.

Why do you use drugs???

BigTrancer ;)

ABRAKADABRA said:

but yeah i understand what you are saying with the alcohol v's drugs thing. i have definitely seen some bad things happen b/c of alcohol.

I'm not an aussie(i'm from england incase you're wondering) but found this thread interesting, just so ya know, alcohol is a drug.%)

Welcome to BL mate.Good to see open minded people like you on here.I didn't start doing drugs myself until earlier this year, even though i've been on BL for a while now, BL can really help you learn about drugs and what affects they have on you. Reason why i wanted to try them was out of curiosity really, I wasn't afraid to experience them once I had learnt about them, it's best to start on pills though, thats what I'm doing. Don't take too many at once though if you do do them, i've learnt that lesson!

Drugs really fuck up peoples lives

This statement really gets me pissed.... sorry to say it ABRA but people fuck there own lives up, drugs can't be held responsible for fucking someone's life up. The don't sit in their little bags and say "Take me, Take me" people make a concious decision to take drugs themselves.

While it's good to see your open minded ABRA, don't forget that there is nothing wrong with never wanting to try/do drugs. As long as people respect other peoples choices they make about their own lives (eg: wether they take drugs or not) it's all good.

ABRA- You'd make a great politician :) Go for PM!

Why take drugs? Coz its fun! And because I can. I've had some of the best times of my life and made some very close friends through my drug use. I'm probably a lot closer to my drug using friends than my non-using friends. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The stereotypical "junkie" doesn't really describe drug users very well. Despite what people may have you believe. Myself and the majority of my friends who use drugs have university degrees and very well paying, steady jobs. Drug users are all around you, they generally aren't the people living in the gutter. It is very possible to use drugs without fucking up your life.

Welcome to BL :)

It's really hard to know where to start in response to the question "Why take drugs?". I guess an obvious counter question is "Why do you think that you don't take drugs?" I don't want to second-guess you ABRA, or make incorrect assumptions about your lifestyle, but I'm willing to bet that you are a polydrug user, just like the rest of us. Which of the following drugs have you taken in the last month:
Alcohol
Caffeine
Nicotine
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Aspirin
Codeine
Pseudoephedrine
Hayfever medication
.. just to name a few commonly used legal drugs.

Zaineaol said:
hate to say, but ur a lot more closed minded then u think you are!

your a moron, this site is not directly drug related, but more related to minimising the danger of taking drugs...

its morons like you, who take not the time to read and realise that alot of people are smart enough not to fuck up there lives!

fuck off till u have something good to say - hell, go take a few pills and realise why we do it?

ever heard the term - dont knock it til u try it?

Why call me a moron because I have a different opinion to you. We can all put our different opinions across in a mature intelligent way without having to resort to that...isn't that what forums are for? I accept your opinion on things and respect that so why the need to call me a moron and tell me to fuck off...you say that i'm closeminded but you are the one putting me down for having a certain opinion. (i am not trying to judge anyone here, i just want to learn more about something that is a really different world for me) Am simply asking why people take drugs so i can have a better understanding of it, thats all.

Also if you read my other post you will see that I did in fact take the time to read the forums and listen to everyone and in fact changed my views and realised that people can take drugs and have balanced lives. and i realised this site was about harm minimisation. I did admit that I was in the wrong by jumping to conclusions because i have seen the extreme view of things. i also said that i cannot fully understand because i am not a drug user.

you're telling me to 'fuck off til i have something interesting to say' but i am reading the forums to LEARN...isn't that a good thing? to have someone with different views read the forums and then realise its all about harm minimisation...i thought changing peoples opinions and making them more informed nand educated about drug issues was a good thing?

you call me closeminded but then why would i take the time to read everyones ideas and opinions about drugs and try to understand everything related to it???!

Last edited:
don't mind him, I think you've proven yourself to have a valid opinnion ;)

welcome aboard mate :D

don't worry too much about Zanieaol ABRA, there's gonna be dicks everywhere you go, he's prob just still coming down from the weekend or some shit and needed to make himself feel better....