Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

drug situation in thailand

chemically enlighten

Bluelighter
I know the laws in Thailand for drugs as in most Asian countries are extremelly harsh by our standards but what is the actual situation like? i mean do the cops actually care like in Indonesia or will they look the other way and be bought off easily? Im going on a holiday to Thailand early next year with a few mates and wouldn't mind doing some partying while im there but certainly wouldnt risk it if the situation is anything like Bali.

So for those that have been to Thailand is it worth risking it or should i keep my partying at home?

thanks in advance

OMG..dude, Dont do it !

Do you really need to take drugs during a holiday ? isnt the holiday in itself a drug ?

well Maybe we will see you on the news ?

See thats the thing im not definetly planning to take drugs in thailand im just trying to get a grasp on what the actual situation is like i know the laws are very harsh for trafficking quantities in Thailand but im not going to get 20 years for 1 or 2 pills i might theoretically have on me one night. Im looking for advice from someone who has been to thailand and knows what the actual situation is not "OMG haven' u seen the news you cant do drugs overseas". I appreciate your concern and im not going to do anything stupid. Ive heard from people that have been that there are big raves on the beach where nearly everyone is off tap and no problems but i want a little more advice than that.

From my experience there is a lot of hype surrounding drug use in SE Asia. Although there are areas that I wouldn’t even think about doing certain drugs (eg Bali) there are other areas that I believe are extremely ‘safe’ for taking drugs. Taking drugs in a foreign country can involve a lot more risks but the final choice is yours. Below is my brief experience with drugs in Thailand.

Most different drugs are available but tend to vary from place to place. Weed is everywhere and you will probably be offered it many times by locals while you are there. It is generally of poor quality but it is very cheap. Lots of pharmacies (apart from in big tourist areas) will sell you drugs like benzos and diet pills and occasionally other drugs like morphine etc. Up north opium is very readily available although fairly expensive compared to other drugs.

I did not hear of anyone getting busted while I was there but I heard rumors that $750US could get you out of just about any situation.

Just as an example of how easy drugs are to access, I stayed in a beach bungalow on one of the islands and weed, shrooms and even ecstasy were written on the specials board in plain sight! If you ordered weed it would either come with a bong or rolled into joints if you preferred. The shrooms came as either omelets or shake and ecstasy was in capsules (meant to be pure MDMA) or pills (unknown mixes). You could smoke weed openly in most accommodation and no one would seem to mind.

Just some suggestions for you if you do decide to take drugs over there:

Don’t travel with drugs (even just between towns)

You should be fine with mushrooms and weed but be extremely careful with drugs like ecstasy etc due to the danger of unknown contents.

Don’t buy off the street or in a club if you can help it, rather try and buy through your accommodation or even from other tourists as they are more likely to tell you the truth.

Only buy drugs just before you use them so you don’t have to store them.
Store them away from your gear eg. outside or some other deniable spot.

If you get busted with something immediately ask the officer if there is a ‘fine’ that you could pay rather than going to jail. It will be much cheaper and easier to pay off some local cop trying to make money than someone higher up when you end up in jail. Just remember though it is Thailand so barter with them!

Which ever drugs you end up doing, keep your doses low and don’t go too crazy. Wasting holiday time in a Thai hospital due to drug use is not fun, trust me ;)

Hope this helps. Feel free to post up any more specific questions.

Everything aBitOfAWorry said is absolutely spot on. Follow his/her advice.

On the islands - weed, shrooms. Everyone's doing them (by everyone I mean every tourist). Obviously the cops know about it, they're getting paid off by the restaurants/bungalow owners. Don't light up big doobies in inappropriate places, run down the road like a nitwit, call unnecessary attention to how wasted you are, be rude or obnoxious, and you'll be fine. If you get wasted and a policeman approaches you, plead excessive drunkenness.

Note: there's lots of e on the islands as well. Just be aware that the islands are where the dealers sell the crap pills nobody in Bangkok wants.

Bangkok - haven't heard any reports of urine testing for a while now. If you want to be safe, go to xxx (pm me for name) (no drug raids ever, due to owner's "connections"). Weed's easy to find. For e, its a complete toss up. You can get bunk, you can get okay. Same goes for ket. Don't even bother with coke unless you're friends with the Thai superstars. Still loads of valium in some chemists. Doesn't seem to be any logic to which ones have and which ones don't. Xanax, codeine and ket can no longer be found at chemists.

Be polite and nice to your guesthouse owner. Actually, be polite and nice to every Thai person you meet, no matter how pissed off you may be. Its not unknown for guesthouse owners to call the cops on guests who have been rude to them.

Basically, just do any drugs you do quietly and respectfully and nobody will really care.

Be careful of the lao khao and Sang Som, they'll mess you up worse than any drug ;) Have a wonderful holiday! You can pm me if you want any more info.

Last edited:
I use to live in thailand for 2 year and yes the cops do care they are going out of there way to bust users and they have A ALLOT of urine testing in clubs but the penalties are not as harsh if you got busted for using it I will go to the watch house but unlike indonesia U can bail yourself out. And you probely wont go to jail just a fine and a criminal record if its personal consumtion. if you do decide to take pills its better to take in in your room or some where away from a club where you cn be urine tested.

Thanks for your advice i will put it o good use i doubt im going to take my use that far as im only over for 10 days and would rather spend the days exploring a foreign country than coming down. Im spending most of my vacation in Phuket by the way.

HEY IM GOING TO PHUKET AS WELL. im going there for schoolies for 6-7 nights in november