• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Four Corners: Fake Prescription Drugs

The show was about people making fake prescription drugs and selling them to hospitals/pharmacies. There was an operation in India which could punch out millions of counterfiet pills per hour.

"A hospital is operating on a patient who goes into cardiac arrest... they give the patient what they think is adrenalin to re-start their heart... nothing happens... its water. The patient dies... the surgeons are mortified."

I saw this too, looks like it was the repeat. From the ABC 4 corners website:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2005/s1445881.htm

Bad Medicine

Reporter: BBC This World

Broadcast: 29/08/2005

It’s almost the perfect crime. Fake medicines kill the most vulnerable people – the old, the weak and the sick. Once consumed, the evidence is gone.

And it’s extremely lucrative – a global racket worth close to $40 billion a year, according to the World Health Organisation.

The BBC’s This World program tracks some of the networks behind this obscene but largely invisible crime. Reporter Olenka Frenkiel starts from point of sale in Third World street markets and follows the trail back to manufacturers who boast they can fake any drug and any packaging.

One faker explains how he bribes his way past authorities who know all about his activities. Another offers to make a fake TB drug which, instead of containing four types of antibiotics, will contain chalk and paracetamol.

Doctors around the world are now wrestling with new drug-resistant strains of TB. Fake drugs have played their part in the development of these strains.

The tragedy sown by drug counterfeiters is plain to see. In one case an international charity came to Nigeria to carry out heart surgery on sick children. But the children were pumped with fake adrenalin and contaminated drips. They didn’t stand a chance.

“Bad Medicine” – on Four Corners, 8.30pm Monday 29 August, ABC TV.

This program will be repeated about 11pm Wednesday 31 August.
BigTrancer :)

Its amazing how low people will sink to make a buck. Sickening really...

Absolutely disgusting. Was there anything mentioned about things they are trying to do to prevent this? Reagent testing or something??

NO everybody knows that testing drugs is bad because what if they test a drug and it says it good when really its bad? hu huh?

*sarcasim and irony

yes it was a great doco, i really enjoyed it, i hate to think that so many fake drugs get made which can end up killing people by lack of active ingredients, or no active ingredients at all (mainly in Africa) Places like India and China are the main players pumping out the fakes apparently, and they dont seem to care, its all just money..
But atleast the Indian man who said he could make the order made the ingredients and all the packaging exactly the same beside one little bit on the packaging to get around law, but the indian woman who said she could make the fakes was willing to make them with 50% of the real stuff, or none! She didnt care, it was all about forgery to her..
Sounds like a tough battle for the Africans, that lady who was doing so much (forget her name) for the fight against fakes she is bloody amazing! (and the other people who help too)

capitalism Money is worth more than a human life now days

A very concerning doco. Lets hope it gets bitten in the bum soon

Here is the documentary. The sound goes out of sync every 4 minutes then it gets fixed again, then it goes out of sync again, this happens all throughout the vid. Plus there is about 2 minutes of tv advertisements before the program begins. Best I could do, as I never recorded a program using my computer before.

ABC - 4 Corners - Counterfeit Drugs

Please right click on the link then click 'save as' to save to your hard.

Last edited: