• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is Ecstasy really addictive? (The Michelle Leslie Saga)

jupiter blue

Bluelighter
Whether they are hers or not, and if she does or doesn`t....thats not my call. I am curious about the statements being made that Michelle was addicted to ecstacy. I feel that ecstacy isnt a drug that could be classed as addictive. .(hope u know what i mean)....but thats just me. Would love to hear what you guys think?

It's definitely addictive! I made a similar post about this sort of thing in another thread recently, but my 13 hour shift today has melted my brain and I can't remember where. I'll back up my opinion later, unless someone else comes along and says everything I was going to anyway... :)

Everything that hits your sensory receptors can be classed as "addictive". This includes psychotropic drugs, food, television, people etc etc.

The question we need to ask is how addictive is Ecstacy?

What factors lead to its addiction?

Ecstacy does cause psychological dependancy however i believe this dependancy is driven by the social scene in which MDMA is used.

There has been a recent topic that kinda covers this in which i explained my reasoning :

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219123&r=28

We also need to take into account the varying degrees of sensationalism in the media.

Also we need to ask the question.. are we getting 100% pure MDMA?

Maybe users are addicted to the impurities in certain pills such as other street amphetamines, kinda like how bong smokers are actually addicted to the baccy in their mix rather then the cannabis! 8)

Pleo I remember reading Your post and also for got where it was.

Ecstacy is Mentally Addictive, Not Physically Addictive, I'lld Say !

It's definitely addictive! I made a similar post about this sort of thing in another thread recently

No more addictive then sex, eating, reading, watching TV or any other 1 million and one activities human beings are capable of doing to until the point where they could be considered addicted. I certainly do many of those things to excess(ion), and at least 4 of even those activities i mention have been detrimental to my physical & mental health.

Is addiction so terrible? It seems to me human beings at every level of our society rebound back & forth from addictive behaviours. Sure we go through periods where we do something to the point where we harm ourselves but it’s a matter of balance and rationality that allows us to alternate and transfer these addictions to other forms.

In order to discuss this, we need to be VERY clear about what you're asking.

(NB: this has been covered before in many many threads, just try searching for the terms "MDMA addiction" or "MDMA addictive" or "pills addict*" etc... one example is linked below).

1. What do you mean by "addiction"?

a. Physical dependence = withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of chronic use
b. Compulsive use = chronic user feels habitually drawn to using the drug whenever available
c. Psychological dependence = drug must be present to 'have fun' or even more so, 'feel normal'
d. Overuse/abuse = continues using despite physical/financial hardship specifically related to the drug?

2. What do you mean by "ecstasy"?

a. Just "pills"
b. Pills which have MDxx-like effects
c. Specifically MDMA ONLY
d. Taking pills at your favourite club with like-minded friends every weekend...

My previous thoughts on Tolerance and Psychological Dependence are here.

BigTrancer :)

When discussing this topic I really think you need to look at the DRUG, SET and SETTING and how this applies to an individual's behaviour. Being addicted to a substance ie. going into some sort of withdrawal etc, is one thing when you don't have that drug. Being addicted to an experience, ie. clubbing while on a substance is something else.
Particularly a substance taken in a context or a setting that provides a very powerful experience. If an individual has mental health issues or is dealing with just the day to day lifes little setbacks or anxieties, going out and clubbing and taking pills may be the most meaningful experience for someone in in dull and dreary life. Lets face for some, the weekends by sheer definition are far more exciting than our weekday existences. To remove this experience, the drug, the people, music etc, when taken away from someone could be quite traumatic. Whereby the individual may manifest signs of withdrawal. I just think it's extremely difficult to say a substance is addictive without examining these other factors. I think the whole concept of addiction is such a subjective experience.

In case you haven't heard yet, it turned out that the "statement" released that said she was addicted to MDMA was a fake. She and her lawyer deny writing or signing it.

I don't be believe that ecstacy fits into the classical model of addiction- ie. it is not physically addictive in the sense that heroin and maybe amphetamines are. People cannot use ecstacy several times a day for a long time, you would just feel too horrible and cravings would not occur.
IF on the otherhand it is a habit that is hard to break in cetain social situations then I beleive that it is. Alot of peopel can identify here when I say that raves and to a lesser extent going to clubs is no where near as fun as it used to be. I find that I cannot fully enjoy a rave without taking the drug, I spend alot of my time just waiting until my time to drop and use an increase amount so I can be under the influence and dance longer and enjoy the djs to their fullest.

It's mentally addictive, yes, but so are so many other things in life. I don't think stating addiction is a valid defence when in court for ecstasy possession, however.