Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 22/08/2005 'Aussie model in Bali drug bust'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
This time she's even prettier than Schapelle and it's ecstasy. When, oh when, are people going to learn not to touch drugs in Bali.

Aussie model in Bali drug bust
By Edith Bevin and Cindy Wockner in Bali
August 22, 2005

0,10114,5039191,00.jpg

ONE of Sydney's top models is facing up to 10 years in a Bali jail after police allegedly found ecstasy in her bag.

Michelle Leslie, 24, who has worked for Myer and was the face of Antz Pantz, was among a group of five people picked up in the early hours of Saturday.

Police had raided a party at the GWK park, a large public auditorium on the cliffs near Kuta.

It is understood Leslie, who is based in Sydney, but has family in Adelaide, was allegedly in possession of one or two ecstasy tablets.

Leslie is being held at the Polda police station, where the Bali Nine were held after their arrest.

Like Schapelle Corby, who is appealing against her 20-year sentence for drugs, Leslie faces a lengthy prison spell if convicted.

The maximum sentence for drug possession is 10 years in jail.

Leslie, who models under the name Michelle Lee, lives with boyfriend Scott Sutton in Sylvania.

Her parents, Albert and Violet Leslie, of Glenelg North, Adelaide, were told about their daughter's plight last night by Michelle's friends. The Foreign Affairs Department had not contacted the family.

Leslie had been in Bali with friends on holiday after a stint working in Singapore. She was due to leave Bali today.

Mr Leslie said that his daughter was extremely health conscious.

"She doesn't take drugs, she doesn't take cold tablets or Panadol. She won't even take anything when she's sick," he said.

Mr and Mrs Leslie have spoken to her boyfriend. Leslie had gone to a party with friends and, because she had a large handbag, other people stored their bags in hers.

The drugs were found in a make-up bag, friends told The Daily Telegraph.

Mrs Leslie said she had warned her daughter against travelling to Bali.

"I've been telling her 'don't go to Bali'. I was scared. Not that she was going to do anything stupid but she's a young attractive girl and you don't know what people around her may do," Mrs Leslie said.

Michelle text messaged her mother saying "Don't stress" about Bali. She assured her mother she was always "very careful".

Michelle has worked in several high-profile modelling jobs, including Myer's spring-summer fashion launch in Sydney earlier this month.

She was launched as the face of Antz Pantz underwear late last year.

The arrests were made at a party, called Vertigo Goes to Bali at the lotus pond area of the GWK park, better known as the location for the first anniversary commemoration of the Bali bombing.

Altogether during the raids, police netted 15 ecstasy tablets and arrested five people including four locals aged 26 to 35 years.

From News.com.au/Daily Telegraph

Last edited:
It is such a waste and so sad to see another life ruined by ridiculous laws! I just hope her friend has the courage to own up and state that the drugs were hers and that the other young girl had no knowledge of the drugs being in her possesion! this stroy just angers me as she is so young and has so much happening in her life

huh, she's not hot at all - looks quite plain - Schapelle would shit on her any day of the week in a prison modelling competition.

If i were those parents I would be hiring a very flash indo lawyer to get the ground laid for a bribe. I would put a media black out on the case and threaten (subtly) the indo's that if they go public they won't get shit...

It's going to be intersting on various levels to see how the Australian media and public react to this arrest as compared to Corby's. It will give us insight into whether mainstream Australia considers ecstasy a "hard" drug.

Australian model in Bali drugs bust
August 22, 2005 - 7:47AM

2208michelle2_narrowweb__200x252.jpg

A 24-year-old Australian model has been arrested in Bali after police allegedly found drugs in her possession during a raid on a party.

Michelle Leslie, 24, who models under the name Michelle Lee, was among a group of five people picked up in the early hours of Saturday during a raid on a party at the GWK park, a public auditorium near Kuta, News Limited newspapers say.

She lives with her boyfriend at Sylvania in Sydney's south, and her parents live in Adelaide.

Police would not confirm her identity or say on what allegations she is being held, but said they will announce details at a press conference today.

But the papers say it's understood she was allegedly in possession of one or two ecstasy tablets.

Several locals were also arrested.

Ms Leslie had been on holiday in Bali with friends after working in Singapore, and had been expected to leave Bali today.

The papers say Ms Leslie started full-time modelling at the age of 15 and has worked in a number of high-profile jobs, including Myer's spring-summer fashion launch in Sydney this month. She was named as the face of Antz Pantz underwear late last year.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

She was a contestant on Channel 10's Search for a Supermodel in 2000 and moved to New York in 2003 to advance her career.

The arrests were made at a "Vertigo Goes to Bali" nightclub party at the lotus pond area of the GWK park, the location for the first anniversary commemoration of the Bali bombing.

In the raids, police netted 15 ecstasy tablets and arrested five people, including four locals aged 26 to 35.

Even possession of a small quantity of drugs is enough, under Indonesian law, to earn a lengthy prison term of up to 10 years.

Ms Leslie is being held in police cells at Polda, the Denpasar police headquarters, where alleged heroin smugglers the Bali Nine were held until recently and, before them, convicted Australian smuggler Schapelle Corby.

She is the latest in a list of Australians to fall foul of drugs police in Bali. In addition to Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine, Adelaide man John Pyle was recently sentenced to five months jail for having a small quantity of hashish in his rented bungalow.

- AAP

From The Age

When a mother's worst fears come true
By Stuart McLean
August 22, 2005

THE arrest of Australian model Michelle Leslie is every parent's worst nightmare.

Michelle's mother Violet last night said she was worried about her daughter going to Bali and urged her to be careful.

"I was scared," Violet said from the family home in Adelaide after being told of her daughter's plight.

"I've been telling her 'don't go to Bali'."

Michelle, who also works under the name of Michelle Lee, was among a group of five people picked up early Saturday during a raid on a party at the GWK park, a large public auditorium on the cliffs near Kuta.

Michelle text-messaged her mother saying "don't stress" before going to Bali after a modelling shoot in Singapore.

Advertisement:
The 24-year-old international model is trapped in a horror story that could see her facing up to 10 years in an Indonesian jail.

It is a long way from the bars and nightclubs of New York and cities of Europe to an isolation cell in a Bali police station.

The question millions of Australians will be asking today is why would anyone run the risk of being caught with drugs in their possession after the harsh lessons of the Schapelle Corby case.

Michelle fronted an revitalised advertising campaign for Antz Pantz this year and is instantly recognisable as the national face of Crystelle lingerie.

Working for Chic modelling agency - which last night removed the model's photographs from their website - Michelle has travelled the world with her work.

She was also working to establish her own clothing label, Prize Fighter, and was trying to break into television.

For the past few years she has been based in New York for at least eight months of the year, spending two or three months in Sydney.

When in Sydney she lives in the southern Sydney suburb of Sylvania.

In New York she lives in the West Village.

From News.com.au

Last edited:
P.S. im not going t ostart another shapelle argument... but...

on_the_rise_5 you are a fucking idiot!!! how are they rediculous law? is it coz you are comparing them to our laws? adn are you making that assumption because? because us rich westerners are always right adn those 'barbaric' indonesians are wrong.. nothing to do with their society or anything...

fuck! i mean seriously... thats their law, this is ours, they are different... noone can honestly say who is right and who is wrong, the only thing that can be said is that each law is determined by the cultural needs of the societies of each country...

ahhhh!! i hate ignorant people thinking that we are right and the 'barbarians' who dont look like us are wrong...

AHHH!!!!

so what if? and this is just a brain storm, they have the drug laws right adn we have them wrong, does that make us wrong? in comparison... murder...

one country hsa a life sentence to murder, and another country has 2 months sentence... we are the 2 month country, does that make the life sentence wrong? what if we are the life sentence? does that make the other country light asses on a serious issue...

to them drugs are a big issue! and you have to accept that!

^ you don't want to start an argument but start dribbling complete bullshit.

Their liablity to do the right thing is not limited or waived simply because they live on another piece of rock somewhere else in the world.

sorry? what? the right thing? and what is the right thing? what we do? coz we are australians? and we dont make mistakes, because we a right!!!

i mean come on 'chuggy' what do you think, that we are right on this issue? and they are wrong? do you know anything about their culture? if you dont, we (australians) have quite a different culture to them (indonesians)... we have different religions and different sociatal norms... and therefore we have different sentencing needs in our courts.

so i reckon they should change their religion and their court system, and while they are at it they should change their language and their skin colour... i mean.. they should conform so they are exactly the same as us.. because we are right, and they are SIMPLY wrong!

come on guys, lets rally john howard and start a petition!!!

Fuck those Qantas Baggage handlers...they're even smuggling stuff in people's handbags! Is no one safe?

mmmm i wonder if i can go visit her, i leave for bali on wednesday.

well shit happens. you take a risk with what ever youdo. you then make a choice wether it is worth that amount of risk.

drugs in bali carry a greater risk than drug in australia.

She took the risk of drugs in bali. she must now take the music of drugs in bali.

This is simular to the australian that got bused with 1.5 g of hash about 3 months ago he got sentence to 8 months which will probely be the case here . but 8 months is a big penalty for 1 night of roling

chugs said:
huh, she's not hot at all - looks quite plain - Schapelle would shit on her any day of the week in a prison modelling competition.

If i were those parents I would be hiring a very flash indo lawyer to get the ground laid for a bribe. I would put a media black out on the case and threaten (subtly) the indo's that if they go public they won't get shit...

are you serious? schapelle is fucking rank. this bitch will be the 'new' white meat in kokoban(or whatever its called), schapelle will get tossed aside in a second. but we dont have to worry anyway, im sure someone PUT them in her bag...

CUpillar i not saying our system is the right one, BUT it is the one which agrees with my mind, i dont see the advantage or the gain for you to start an argument about something so small, this message board i felt was an area for people to express their own views without fear of critisicm. I really dont care whether our system is better or worse but our system works a lot better to keep drugs off the street and also to not incarcerate people for a victimless crime. If you have ever been to bali you will understand how prolific the drugs are over there, you can not walk 1km without being askd if you would like some drugs at night time. As a regualr visitor (4 times in past 6 years) i have seen the growth of drugs over there as their penalties have become so severe as to kill a person for the trafficking of drugs.
The execution of a person is stating that this person has no ability to change and progress past their mistakes, i personally feel that a person who is in possesion of a sizeable amount of drugs is not a person who is a massive danger to the community, nor do that not have the chance to grow as a person and learn from their mistake.
I dont mind critisicm but when it comes in the form of you abusing me i dont think it is worthwhile or appropriate express your veiws, YES, but do it in a way that will explain your opinion in a non aggressive way, my personal opinion but yeh!

I think you have to be pretty fucking dumb to have drugs on you in a country where there has been sheppel, the bali 9 and that hash boy. If you dont like the drug laws dont go there. Not worth the risk.

i totally agree with cupillar, just because a legal system is different in other countries doesnt make ours better at all. the aussie legal system is fucking hopeless, you see all the time how people get let off for crimes that in other countries they would be made to stand infront of a hole and shot in the face while people watched, which isnt right either but its better than australias system of just letting everyone off. on_the_rise_5 ive agree'd with you on other posts but saying drug dealing is a victimless crime is something you cant back up, look at the situation in america, no street gangs or mafias would exist without the funding from drugs. everyone in australia that pays tax is a victim because we give our money to mr howard that takes a bit for himself then give a bit to all the lazy fuckin mother fuckers that dont work dont goto school just sit in there comission houses and smoke pot and fuck their fat gf/bf then get another 3000 of our money for the baby, who is another victim because of its birth defects. australia certainly needs to learn a thing or two from these other countries. how many stories have you heard about big time dealers getting caught with hundreds of thousands worth of goods and equipment and walking free

Hey cu pillar am i allowed to say that i dont agree with the laws of most countries? Or am i fuckhead as well. Laws are outdated, too hard to change with the morals of society and plain unfair. its a fucked up world we live in.

fuck in heaven

E gives us happiness. Why be angry re that?
Mull is a plant of creation (& was it not said " every herb bearing seed... )
Shame Indonesia Shame
Alcohol & Tobacco & Caffeine & Junk food are greater dangers.
I love all involved.
Is she a martyr?
I believe in reincarnation.
Shall I join the crew of E liberation front?
Who is to join?
She has my highest blessings & grace.

SHALOM
:)
O.

this is going to turn in the same arguments we had in the Corby thread.....

i mean come on 'chuggy' what do you think, that we are right on this issue? and they are wrong? do you know anything about their culture? if you dont, we (Australians) have quite a different culture to them (Indonesians)... we have different religions and different sociatal norms... and therefore we have different sentencing needs in our courts.

So ‘CuPillary’ my opinion is wrong simply because I’m trying to change the laws of a sovereign nation? I shouldn't bother is that what your saying because irrespective of what the Indonesians do we must never try and change their laws?

The Indonesians being the rational & sane people they are, will wake up tomorrow, thinking holy shit; thank god for ‘CuPillary’ protecting our god given right to kill people for minor transgressions. Thank god for the great indo drug laws that have turned our country into one of the biggest shit holes in Asia. 100 million people in poverty but thank those nasty Australians who took Timor (cause it was alright then to violate a sovereign nation right) away from us aren't going to step in and stop the best drug laws in the world.

Seriously are there not any universal themes you subscribe to that all people (entities, irrespective of their physical location, should consider? Like the right to life? Think that ones pretty damn important. How about balance with a punishment which fits the crime? Would 4kg of pot destroy the social fabric of Bali? Would a couple pills ruin the lives of the "children"? Do you honestly believe these laws have/will work thus solving the Bali drug problem?

If you think i'm being subjective in my moral opinion that one should not kill or hashly imprision people then are you not being equally subjective in that irrspective of the reason we should never get involved in another countries affairs?

In fact how do retain a point of view being so neutral.

But then again i guess your fine with them killing people, locking them up and subjecting them to a personal misery far and above the minor transgression they were convicted for.

I would love to see you being butt fucked over drug laws and retaining that attitude, even if you were a stupid fucker with just two neurons....

Last edited:
Ok, it's pretty simple. You don't like it, don't go there.

If you're a woman and you really have a hankering to commit adultery, you're not gonna go to fucking Iran, are you?

Likewise, if you wanna get stoned (no pun intended, really) or take a whole lotta drugs, don't go to fucking Bali. Easy.

It's their country. Like it or not, they get to make their own laws, because there's oh, only about, er, 270 million of them?