Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 21/08/2005 'Doctors quizzed on illicit drug use'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Doctors quizzed on illicit drug use
By Chris Pippos
August 21, 2005

SOUTH Australia's 6500 registered doctors will be asked whether they take illicit drugs, as part of a wide-ranging survey on substance abuse.

The survey was proposed by Dr David Caldicott, a Royal Adelaide Hospital research fellow, after a coronial inquest into the death of Ruth Sorensen.

She died in 2002 after being treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital by Dr Stuart Mauro, who had a cannabis habit.

The survey will ask about the extent of recreational drug use and alcohol consumption.

It coincides with No Pokies MLC Nick Xenophon's planned Bill to conduct random drug tests of doctors, to be introduced into Parliament next month.

Dr Caldicott said a survey was the best way to determine whether a broader drug problem existed within the medical community.

Australian Medical Association SA president Dr Chris Cain said he supported the survey in principle.

"We don't have a problem with David Caldicott and his group formatting a survey and being involved in it but we'd want it to be in conjunction with the Medical Board or the Department of Health in order for it to have any credibility," he said.

Dr Cain said he believed substance abuse levels among doctors were the same as the rest of the population.

He did not believe the increasing stress of the job led to substance abuse by doctors.

Dr Cain expected about half of the state's doctors would agree to take part in the non-compulsory survey.

Medical Board registrar Joe Hooper said "five or 10" doctors had been subject to inquiries in the past year following concerns expressed by their colleagues or patients.

From News.com.au/Sunday Mail

Does this not incroach on their personal choices, i know if i was a doc whether i took drugs or not i would be kicking up a fuss, its rude, sure if they are high at work it is a different matter but what they do in their own time is their own choice... my 2 bobs worth anyway

^^ It would probably be a confidential (and optional) survey designed to assess the extent of drug use amongst doctors.

It coincides with No Pokies MLC Nick Xenophon's planned Bill to conduct random drug tests of doctors, to be introduced into Parliament next month.
I don't like the idea of random drug tests being conducted on workers and professionals where no causal relationship has been established between drug use and risk to patients (in the case of doctors).

Dr Caldicott said a survey was the best way to determine whether a broader drug problem existed within the medical community.
Would evidence of use alone be considered a valid criterion with which to determine the existence of a 'drug problem'?

Perhaps the study would include more specific questions about the nature of drug use.

hehe i can see Enlighten outside hospitals conducting reagent tests for concerned doctors.....

Is the purpose of the test to "out" the conserative Doctor's who engage in taking illict drugs yet actively argue against harm-mininisation & legalisation?

I think that is absolyutely outrageously unfair discrimination...

There is any number of arguments you can make for it based ont he importance of a doctors position but that simply does not cut the mustard....there are people who we rely on every single day to stay alive and that includes every single driver in our area....Doctors should no way in HELL be singled out for drug tests just because they hold a respected position in society.

If I was a doctor I would be frantically answering no fuckign way to every question in order to prove that there is absolutely no problem.

Are they expecting honest results from these survey's anyway? Honestly, i cant see a doctor willingly admitting to using drugs in any way outside of a medicinal purpose.

Seems more like the government is just trying to look like they are concerned - and cover their arse's @ the same time.

%)

Drug related news proudly brought to you by our media hawk Hoptis :)

How about random drug tests for people in the government. Heck why should jonny be tested as well.

I dont agreee with random drug testing, itl move on to random bag searching, then random house searching and crap like that.

I guess the focus here is whether doctors and medical professionals ARE using drugs, and whether they feel it MAY impact on their professional ability... Hey, I work in the minerals industry and they LOVE to random drug and alcohol test! I don't know how sensitive the drug tests are, but obviously smoking up or using substances on site can really have worksafe ramifications... why not for medical professionals? they are making important decisions.

hey, i am all for breathtesting politicians and the like, they also have to make important public decisions!