Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ephedrine prescribed?

brokenbeat

Bluelighter
I was just wondering does anyone know: Is ephredrine legal by prescription in Australia? The may belong in "Other Drugs" but i only want to know for Australia.

I think it can be prescribed for a few problems but is not particularly common.
Ironically ephedra is sold freely throughout australia and has been used as a herbal remedy by asian cultures for thousands of year.

I know Ephedra is used by Traditional Chinese Medicine doctors. It is prescribed for a range of ailments. If you rocked up asking for it they'd probably assume you were doctor shopping tho...

Ephedra used to be prescribed to assist in weight loss, I have been told by a doctor that this has been phased out, and replaced by drugs like phentermine. Similarly psuedoephedrine is found in common cold and flu medication. As for being legally prescribed in Australia, I don't think so.

yes, ephedrine may be legally prescribed in Australia and is available in three common dosage forms:

-tablets (30mg); premanufactured

-nasal drops; must be prepared by pharmacist

-injection; premanufactured

all are schedule 4 products. one source states that the ephedrine HCl tablets are for public sector institutions and private hospitals only - meaning that you won't get anywhere by going to your doctor and asking for a script on account of your severe bronchospasm (their indicated use is to relax bronchial spasm, eg. in asthma).

Schedule 4 in the SUSDP actually states that ephedrine is to be read in the schedule with appendix D. In that appendix special cases are listed. One of the clauses list substances whose possession without authority is illegal. Ephedrine is listed.

So despite being schedule 4 (prescription only medicine), its placement in the appendix means it is illegal to possess without authority. (Compared with other prescription drugs like antibiotics whose possession without a prescription does not result in the same consequences).

Thanks for confirming my claim.

However I was also pointing out that ephedrine in its organic form is generally found through legitimate business's. Although it seems to be strictly prescription only there is also many the use by asian cultures in which it is made into a tea.
There must not have been any major focus on this source by meth. cooks as off yet or it would have been more rigidly controlled/policed.