• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Just a thought .. (Maoi's + Mdma, Pill pressers)

Frozone

Bluelighter
I have been reading for a little while now about how very bad an idea it is to mix MAOI's and MDMA for extending the roll (and those that still do it), and I have been thinking, even though it is a bad idea from a harm minimalisation standpoint, what is stopping pill manufacturers from incorporating a Maoi in with Mdma?

Its a possibility that I had never really thought about until recently, but if they mixed them wouldnt users be running around talking about an 8 hour roll and such things?

There must be a reason its not used (Maoi takeup time?) .. the dangers would have to be very high?

I hope that its not the case, even potentially as it is one 'adultrant' that I hope never finds its way into pills.

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a quick search and nothing this specific stood out!

-F

It is a risk that has existed for a long time and is certainly a way for producers to lower the amount of MDMA content while providing a feeling of high dose MDMA. Disregarding PMA this would be one of the more dangerous adulterants, it would be interesting to see if the police have ever identified it. The only way to tell if it contained an MAOI and MDMA would be with more advanced testing procedures, so colorimetric reagent identification would be out.

Originally posted by Frozone
what is stopping pill manufacturers from incorporating a Maoi in with Mdma?
Nothing. Illicit drug manufacture isn't governed by law.

but if they mixed them wouldnt users be running around talking about an 8 hour roll and such things?
If this combination was ever manufactured you would suspect it would be from local manufacturers who are trying to create more pills with less MDMA that still have a good effect and will sell.

There must be a reason its not used (Maoi takeup time?) .. the dangers would have to be very high?
It might be done, we just can't tell. If you have a pill with 40mg of MDMA and an MAOI it will still test black and might give a very powerful experience.

Last edited:
If we knew what the likely MAOI's were (assuming these substances are being added) we might then know where to start with a spot test reagent.

Some MAOI's will respond to colour tests, including a couple of tests which aren't (yet) marketed as user oriented spot test reagents.

(2-Phenethyl)hydrazine aka phensizene and (1R,2S)-rel-2-Phenylcyclopropanamine aka Tranylcypromine both respond to reagents, but they are unlikely to be commonly used if at all as additives, as I believe they are less popularly prescribed these days. 4-Pyridinecarboxylic acid 2-(1–methylethyl)hydrazide aka Iproniazid is a slightly more likely suspect, but the *useable* indicative test for it also reacts the same way with MDMA. An *unusable* test does differentiate, but it is extremely toxic. It's not suitable at all for user applications.

Another perhaps the most likely candidate is 4-Chloro-N-[2-(4–morpholinyl)ethyl]benzamide aka Moclobemide, but afaik at this point in time there are no recognised spot tests for this one.

Someone with more up to date knowledge of Aus prescribed MAOI's might be able to suggest others and we can look at whether test reagents might be possible to design or indeed might already exist.

I'm not saying I absolutely believe MAOIs are being added to MDMA, but as has been mentioned it can't ruled out. I'll do my best to find out if there's ever been any reports of MAOI's found in local MDMA tablets/ powder.