Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cocaine: - Viva La Coca - Tonight (Tuesday) 8:30 SBS

johnnyonelove

Bluelighter
Cocaine: Part 1 - Viva La Coca - Tonight (Tuesday) 8:30 SBS

This compelling three-part series from film-maker Angus Macqueen is a chilling journey from the coca fields, impoverished farmers and cocaine makers of the Peruvian Andes to drug gangs in the favelas of Rio and the law officials who are powerless to stop this illicit trade. Macqueen spent 18 months in Latin America filming this extraordinary series which provides insight into the much-maligned world of cocaine production. From the dirt poor valleys of Peru and the shanty towns of Rio, Macqueen talks to people behind the production of cocaine to explore the effect on their lives of the West's war on drugs. He comes to the contentious and surprising conclusion that legalisation of the drug would solve the biggest of the current problems - which are mostly due to the huge demand, ironically from the West.

I'll be watching. Its on for the next three Tuesdays.. should be very interesting! Hope its neutral and not in any way leaning towards any side (eg criminals or illegality)

Wasn't too bad. Unfortunately i missed most of the first part. Interesting to note that the guy made over a tonne of coke but only made 100,000 pounds (if my memory serves me correctly). Find a trafficking route directly from Rio to Aus and he could charge his own price virtually.

Also find it brilliant that the traditional farmers of the land lean towards the Guerilla's for protection from the police rather than the other way round.

The first part of the doco is about how they spray the crops from the air but this kills all the crops, food, as well as the coca crop. Also covers the protests from the farmers regarding the spraying of crops and the anger against the foreign governments forcing this to be done. They also cover a guy making the cocaine base...a kilo for a thousand dollars there as opposed to 30-40 thousand for the cocaine base overseas...mmm...can see why they export it!!!
;)

They won't stop stop coca trade it's too profitable. It's been used for 2500 years now, personally my moneys on coca makin it through rather than the last 50 years of drug policy.

Viva la coca!

If i was going to die of cancer my last wish wud be to be sent to peru with $1000

When the policia told luicia to et off the road for the festival did they do it... tha was like a full stand off between The 'Workin man' and the Law, who only cared about the superficial things like "weve got to look good for the parade on tonight, to celebrate how great things are"...

The tragic part as I saw it was the guy going through the process of pressing the coca and then extracting it. I think he referred to the extraction process as "the part that destroys your lungs". He gets $1,000 for his trouble and the dealers end up with b/w $30-$40k. But I guess all of the parts from manufacture to distribution is dangerous.

The parallel story about the farmer wife and her daughter was interesting too.

All going well I will eventually have the complete series on DVD. PM me after the series has finished if you can't find it.

You might also try looking for a torrent.

dada said:
When the policia told luicia to et off the road for the festival did they do it... tha was like a full stand off between The 'Workin man' and the Law, who only cared about the superficial things like "weve got to look good for the parade on tonight, to celebrate how great things are"...

they did do a march...not sure what they changed about what they were planning to do but they did do one. They also have others planned.

eggman88888 said:
The tragic part as I saw it was the guy going through the process of pressing the coca and then extracting it. I think he referred to the extraction process as "the part that destroys your lungs". He gets $1,000 for his trouble and the dealers end up with b/w $30-$40k. But I guess all of the parts from manufacture to distribution is dangerous.

The parallel story about the farmer wife and her daughter was interesting too.

He was referring to the part where they had dissolved the pressed stuff and then was adding hydorchloric acid as a catalyst or something I suppose to form the cocaine...no masks, using hands...it would just eat your lungs away!

It was fascinating to watch though...what an insight.
:( :\

If someone is able to host this for at least seven days on a proper connection (ie. not your home DSL/cable) so others may get it then I will encode it to DivX. I expect it to be around 150mb.

i suggest you seed it as a torrent on a tracker. azuerus has a decentralised torrent tracker, so no one will need to host the file individually and once its up it should last a while! :)

btw i'm after a copy too!

fcuking_in_heaven said:
Wasn't too bad. Unfortunately i missed most of the first part. Interesting to note that the guy made over a tonne of coke but only made 100,000 pounds (if my memory serves me correctly). Find a trafficking route directly from Rio to Aus and he could charge his own price virtually.

Also find it brilliant that the traditional farmers of the land lean towards the Guerilla's for protection from the police rather than the other way round.

I think it was 200,000 pounds for one or two tonnes.. that is a FUCKLOAD of coke.

We taped the first part and I watched it last night.

All I can say is... wow. What an eye opener. Those poor bastards (the coco farmers), they haven't got a shitload of options really, have they? The government keeps saying they'll give them "alternative crops", but by the sounds of the doco, nothing has been forthcoming - not even a promise of returns from said crops when (and if) they came.

How inept was the woman they sent to "negotiate"!!!

I too, winced when I saw the farmer adding hydrochloric acid from a jam jar straight into the cocaine in the bucket, with not so much as his shirt over his mouth. Then SQUEEZING the mixture with his bare hands! 8o

Mac, you could always split it into several parts and host somewhere like Rapidshare. For the past 4 days I've been D/Ling e-books at around 200meg+ / day, taking full advantage of their happy hours (11am-1pm AEST). There are limits without an account (per hour max) but with a bit of patience and determination it's not so bad.

Regarding the program; I found it interesting that they left out a couple of critical stages in the extracting/ making of coca paste. Oh well, can't give away all those poor farmers' secrets... ;)

I too, winced when I saw the farmer adding hydrochloric acid from a jam jar straight into the cocaine in the bucket, with not so much as his shirt over his mouth. Then SQUEEZING the mixture with his bare hands!

SLM; HCl is normally a gas unless it's dissolved in water. Concentrated HCl is regarded as the amount of gas that will dissolve in the minimum of water. Concentrated reagent grade is ~38% HCl. If you heat up pool or reagent grade acid in a sealed container and open the top, it too will come off as a vapour. As the weather in the area was reported as being hot, it's not so surprising this happened.

So, considering the acid contained water, if he gauged the amount of acid correctly, the liquid remaining after reaction with the freebase would be very diluted and so not be as bad on his skin as it might have appeared. However, the fumes thing is always nasty. A while ago I developed a range of chlorine testing kits and got a lung full of HCl on several occasions. Not good, but IMO it's preferable to a lung full of formaldehyde which has happened when mixing larger batches of Marquis reagent. That formalin is bad shit.... :p

Last edited:
mofo said:
wounder if the waterhouses horses will be watchin..

lol

did you notice that she took it upon herself to make mass generalisations about the prevalence of cocaine use in our society just based upon the discussion she had with a few of her stable hands and her foreman? gold

my uncle is a trainer, he says that coke makes horses absolutely fly, and they have only been testing for it for 10 or so years

yeah like i said before, if you say you dont know, then you are a full espec when it happens in the industry, yet her husband was banned for the same thing..

-MoF0-