Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News - Federal MP tells SA Govt to crack down on drug testing - 11th July 05

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Federal MP tells SA Govt to crack down on drug testing

A Federal Government MP is calling on the South Australian Government to crack down on illegal drug testing at rave parties.

At the Winter Enchanted rave party at Pooraka, in Adelaide's north, on Saturday night the group Enlighten Harm Reduction was testing drugs despite being refused permission by the Government to do so.

The Federal Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Health, Christopher Pyne, says drug-testing at raves is illegal and dangerous and raises a number of legal issues.

"If a drug is tested by someone and handed back to that individual [the person who handed the drug over for testing], then that individual overdoses because they [the person conducting the drug testing] could not detect a particular substance in that drug, then the person who tested the drug and gave it back to has a serious legal obligation placed on them," Mr Pyne said.

Mr Pyne says the State Government must ensure there is no illegal testing conducted.

"The South Australian police force should be taking the appropriate action to detect drug testing and arrest those people who are testing drugs without a licence," Mr Pyne said.

But medical researcher from the Royal Adelaide Hospital Dr David Caldicott says authorities should be talking to those in the dance party community about how they can reduce drug use.

"That's the most practical approach. To call for some moral religious crusade against drug users won't work and will further isolate this population in our community," Dr Caldicott said.

He says Mr Pyne appears unaware of the consequences of his demands.

"If he's suggesting police raids I suspect he hasn't examined the consequences that have resulted elsewhere in the world," Dr Caldicott said.

"It results in huge overdoses and a huge burden on the hospital environment and more chronically drives the dance scene underground to venues which are not supervised, do not have medical support, do not have security and as a consequence are far more dangerous to the patrons."
From ABC News

I'm amazed this hasn't been mentioned already. Wouldn't mind hearing first hand from DrPlatypus, CBM or Johnboy about their take on this. You guys do such great work and it sounds like you really stick your neck out to get things done. A snippet on Tripple J said they were looking to lock up the lot of you.

Such a great cause goes so unappreciated and misunderstood.

This is really fucked....I mean how contradictive can the Governement be?

Their ad campaigns target the fact that "you don't know what you taking" and when someone makes an effort to reduce this risk, some bright spark (Christopher Pyne) gets on the offensive saying they should be arrested? WTF?

Also, I emailed Steve Cannane and Hack (on JJJ) saying he needs to interview and flame this freak again. He replied saying he's trying to get him on this afternoon.

Should be worth a listen, so I thought I'd mention it so keep your ears on JJJ at 5:30.

Yeah I am from Adelaide, and just then on the news they just had a big go about Enlighten, and started going on about the pill testing laws, I can't believe it.

Perhaps now there is some media attention atm, it would be a good time to start contacting media and the like about a debate with this Chris feller. Point out that these kids are going to take the pill anyway if it wasnt tested. Now might be a good time to move on the offencive.

I just listened to Johnboy on Hack, and a big thumbs up to him! He presented the case for harm reduction clearly and eloquently. If only the other side of the fence could engage in such a rational discourse -- but of course, Mr Pyne wasn't available to be interviewed for the segment.

Ta. It's been a busy day and to be honest I'm all talked out. I've literally spent the whole day repeating my talking points. Nothing has really happened except what you see here in the media. If it does I'll let you all know. I'm off to get a beer...

"I don't know what was in it. I think it was ecstasy." 8)

Oh can I ask and South Australians that see any story's about us in the paper there to send me a scan of them? Just send em to [email protected] and I will forever be in your debt.

jeez what a great idea, lets ban the testers so users haven't got any idea of what is in there pill at all, that sounds safer??????? I cannot beleive the mentality of the people who run this country, fucken retards!

So.. is it legal for pills to be tested and then thrown away?
Just so people that buy 4 or 5 pills at a rave can sacrifice one to know how safe it may be. I know most ppl won't do this... but maybe they can just do the scraping themselves and the waste product washed away.

Enlighten do a great job. I've seen Johboy on many media shows/talk shows lately, great success! Lets hope the govt doesn't fuck it all up.

This is what I call outlaw mentality. Some people think if people brake the law they become practically outlaws which means the society shouldn't really care what happens to them.

Big ups to JB and the rest of the enlighten crew for their excellent work on the weekend! It looked like a whole lot of people were getting some great advice regarding their pills and could make an informed decision about consumption as a result. Hell, even mates of mine whom i'd considered pretty careless in terms of harm minimisation went to get their stuff tested. No doubt enlightens present made an invaluable contribution to the day in reducing any harm. In fact, I dont recall seeing any overdoses at all at the event. Pyne's respone is a typical knee-jerk reaction of a closed minded right wing MP. Hopefully the local authorities also realise this, and will continue to turn a blind eye.

waspman⌐ said:
unbelievable.

its almost as if the authorities WANT people to die.

believe it or not, thats exactly the message the Federal government is conveying: "if youre still stupid enough to take Ecstasy after seeing our drug campaigns, you deserve to die" . . .

If you've ever seen Christopher Pyne on the Friday night Lateline 'debates', you'll be aware the guy is incapable of independent thought outside of the Liberal Party mantra 8)