Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Case study: A Fatal Chronic Ketamine Poisoning

phase_dancer

Bluelight Crew
Australia sees a relatively high incidence of ketamine containing tablets, which in most cases are consumed in the belief that they contain MDMA.

Aside from that, there are many users who openly state they enjoy ketamine (and in some cases actually prefer it over MDMA.)

While there is some speculation concerning the neurological toxicity of ketamine, in particular, whether the drug on it's own - at normal recreational dosages - causes significant Olney's lessions, there is scant other evidence to suggest ketamine is toxic to the heart and cardiovascular system in humans. There is also little (that I know of) that indicates that ketamine can be chronically toxic.

The following excerpts from the Journal of Forensic Science concerns a case where a husband administered ketamine in increasing doses to his wife over a period of about a year. This resulted in her death, but more than that, it implied that ketamine is chronically toxic. While this case does not necessarily imply that those recreational users who use ketamine on rare occasions will be susceptible, it does highlight the need for more research, and definitely should be seen as a warning that ketamine may not be as benign as many would have you believe.

A Fatal Chronic Ketamine Poisoning
L. Y. Tao,1 M.D.; X. P. Chen,1 M.D.; and Z. H. Qin,2 Ph.D.

J Forensic Sci, Jan. 2005, Vol. 50, No. 1
Paper ID JFS2004258
Available online at: www.astm.org

ABSTRACT:

A few papers in the literature reported incident deaths by acute ketamine poisoning. In this paper, we report an unusual homicide caused by chronic ketamine poisoning. The victim was a 34-year old married woman with no previous medical history (except as reported herein) who died in her own home. The court investigation revealed that she was chronically poisoned by her husband over a period of about one year in an act of homicide. Determination of ketamine concentrations in autopsy specimens was carried out with gas-chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC-MS). The results showed that ketamine concentration was 21μg/mL in gastric contents, 3.8μg/mL in blood and 1.2μg/mL in urine. The most striking forensic findings were cardiac muscle fibrosis and hyaline degeneration of small arteries in victim’s heart, the pathological features of ketamine poisoning previous reported only in animal studies.

....Determination of ketamine concentrations in autopsy specimens was carried out with gas-chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC-MS). The results showed that ketamine concentration was 21 μg/mL in gastric contents, 3.8 μg/mL in blood and 1.2 μg/mL in urine. Reported LD50 is 224±4mg/kg in mice and 229±5mg in rats. The administered doses of ketamine in this case were 100–300 mg, well below LD50, thus ruling out the possibility of acute poisoning.....

.....After receipt of the initial autopsy report, the police decided to detain the husband and investigate him as a suspect. Finally, the husband confessed that he had been using ketamine to poison his wife since September 2002, because the lover wanted to marry him, but he did not want to lose assets in a divorce settlement. At first, he added one vial (100 mg) of ketamine to his wife’s coffee cup. After four or five such additions, he found no noticeable symptoms of toxicity. He then added two vials (200 mg) to her drink. The victim began to show some symptoms of ketamine toxicity. Each time such intoxication occurred, the husband informed the victim’s family and sent her to hospital for clinical examination.....

Discussion

The autopsy revealed cerebral oedema, over-inflation of lungs, pulmonary oedema accompanied by hyperaemia, inter-alveolar and interstitial haemorrhages. All these signs pointed to an asphyxial death as defined by Walsh et al. (5). But there was no evidence of mechanical asphyxia, or autoerotic asphyxia in this case. We found widespread fibrosis of cardiac muscle fiber around the small arteries and heart-failure cells in the lungs.

What caused these changes? The victim had no history of bouts of myocarditis, hypertension or cocaine abuse. Autopsy examinations also did not support any of the abovementioned possibilities. The presence of ketamine and cardiac fibrosis were the only positive results in our forensic examinations. Ketamine is an anaesthetic with a stimulatory effect on the cardiovascular system, producing tachycardia, increasing blood pressure and myocardial oxygen consumption, and causing mild respiratory depression. Respiratory depression is enhanced by overdosing, or by rapid intravenous injection (6,7). Ketamine induces characteristic changes in breathing patterns, causing phases of deep, less frequent breaths with brief apneustic episodes, as well as phases of sighing inspirations with high tidal volumes and an end-inspiratory plateau. The apneustic episodes are probably caused by hyperventilation (8). Perhaps all these respiratory effects may have caused the asphyxia phenomenon in this case. Both anoxemia and/or the misuse of ketamine could have caused the cerebral oedema.

Ketamine is seldom used on psychiatric patients because of its tendency to cause hallucinations and bizarre nightmares (8). Because of its hallucinogenic effects, ketamine became a drug of abuse at the end of the 1970s (9). In recreational settings, it is typically used in low anaesthetic dosages (50–120 mg, i.m.), which produces marked synesthesia and euphoria (10,11). The combined effects of ketamine in some aspects may be similar to the experience of sexual orgasm (12).

In the case being reported, police and Court investigations excluded non-medical abuse and sexual use of ketamine. Toxicological analysis of blood taken from the heart revealed a ketamine concentration of 3.8 μg/mL. At investigation, the husband confessed that 100–200 mg of ketamine was added to her drink on each occasion. The last time he added 300 mg of ketamine to the coffee, all well within the therapeutic range (1.0–6.0 μg/mL).

We suggest that the actual concentration in the blood at the time of death in this case is because ketamine is metabolised with a short half-life through the hepatic cytochrome P450-dependent enzyme system, and is further conjugated to glucuronide derivatives, which subsequently undergo renal elimination (7). Ketamine’s effect of increasing intracranial pressure makes this anaesthetic unsuitable for use in patients with neurosurgical intervention (5,6). Marini et al. have described myocardial fibrosis in rabbits after chronic exposure under anaesthesia dosage to ketamine (4).

In this report, we suggest that the widespread myocardial fibrosis and hyaline degeneration of the small arteries was caused by large doses of ketamine; i.e., chronic ketamine poisoning. The husband’s confession of systematically administering non-lethal doses to the victim is consistent with our observations at post-mortem examination.

If our pathological examinations had revealed dosages of ketamine in excess of LD50, we would have concluded that this was a case of acute ketamine poisoning. However, toxicological examination showed much less than LD50, which leads us to conclude that this is a case of chronic poisoning using ketamine in non-lethal dosages (100 mg–300 mg per dose), administered over a period of time by which caused the observed myocardial fibrosis and hyaline degeneration of the small arteries. The large area of myocardial fibrosis resulted in heart failure and death, and some asphyxial phenomena were caused by the side effects of the last dose of ketamine. These findings are also consistent with the pathological features of chronic ketamine poisoning previously reported in animal studies by Marini et al. (4).

Finally, we conclude that the chronic ingestion of ketamine leads to myocardial fibrosis in humans and eventually causes cardiac failure. In the reported case, drug-induced cardiac damage and respiratory depression caused the victim to become inadequately oxygenated, resulting in hypoxia that led to brain death.

[Colour and bold added for emphasis; p_d]

just guessing but Olney's lessions are a form of damage in the brain right?

If Ketamine is suspected of causing this damage why did the autopsy report not reveal such damage?

If the women died of chronic poisoning (which did significant damage to body) it seems strange that it didn't affect her brain...

(grr crap grammer)

Last edited:
Mmm there's a well known club figure in town who has a SEVERE K addiction. He literally can't function without it...and then of course within moments can't function with it! He's had this addiction for 5+ years...

All his friends (whilst definitely worried about him) have slowly had enough of picking him up off the floor at 'inappropriate' times...but this now more worrying, we'd all been under the impression that at least its 'relatively' harmless compared to other drugs of addiciton, but this is indeed a worry.

I'd say daily or near daily.

Anything that makes you believe in a Co-Incidence Control Centre...

Hey P_D,

if you're going to link to the EROWID page "This is your brain on dissociatives: The bad news is finally in", then surely you should also mention and link the follow up study, "The Bad News Isnt In"
That cuddlefish also gave.

The olneys lesion debacle was, to the best of my knowledge, mostly conjecture on the part of william white, and turned out to be about as informed an article as the "MDMA causes holes in your brain" research by ricaurte. (i.e. about as educational as Tele-tubbies).

peace.

Fair enough, but seeing that cuddlefish was so kind as to highlight my rush in posting, I thought his corrections would suffice. I do concur that the original study was effectively 'null and void' with the further followup article and comments from the author.

But at higher concentrations K has been shown to do this in bovine and rat tissue. ( see above link to Advanced Drug Discussion), so while not necessarily associated with normal human doses, IMO the potential for danger should not necessarily be dismissed outright.

but why was the husband giving his wife ketamine in the first place? Is there some therapeutic use for k I'm unaware of?

but why was the husband giving his wife ketamine in the first place? Is there some therapeutic use for k I'm unaware of?

I think the husband's idea was to kill his wife, only it seems he either assumed the ketamine wouldn't be detected, or that authorities would conclude it had been self administered.

There are numerous articles and books written on the use of ketamine in pain management and palliative care nursing. There are several papers written by Australian researchers (google) specifically on the use of ketamine for various disorders. You might also like to check out the works of Dr Karl Jansen, some of which can be found here

Bent said:
Mmm there's a well known club figure in town who has a SEVERE K addiction. He literally can't function without it...and then of course within moments can't function with it! He's had this addiction for 5+ years...

All his friends (whilst definitely worried about him) have slowly had enough of picking him up off the floor at 'inappropriate' times...but this now more worrying, we'd all been under the impression that at least its 'relatively' harmless compared to other drugs of addiciton, but this is indeed a worry.

I heard he wears nappies =D

shit.
good thing i'm not a huge fan of k.. i did get that impression though, that it fucks with your heart rate. and it's given me massive bile purge sessions which had led me to believe it was less than good for you.. interesting.

I had a cardiac issuer on K one time. It was after being very dehydrated, we drank many hours ago.. our plan was to go get bulbs, have weed and K. But my mate crashed his car drunk (basically just blew the wheel and fucked the bottom of the car up) so we walked for ages to catch a bus, got to a place that sells them, then caught bus back, then walked ages dehydrated and hung over to do our "cracking" mission (read: going insane)

Had some potent weed that got my heart rate right up, snorted a nasty K pill that had some other substance in it and was binded with baby powder or something that smnells similar and got stuck in our noses. We thought the time we've been drunk and the time we're now doing K has been ages, werent really feeling the alco anymore.

Anyway snorted a whole K tablet and these were pretty strong.. they were being sold as white blanks and had some other type of adulterant, i recognised its effects and I think it was prednisone (i can tell when ive had that drug in my system, was on it for years and gives me many bad side effects).... a did a bulb and felt like my heart was beating at a rate it just shouldnt of, something like 180-210bpm.. then suddenly my vision went totally dark couldnt see anything but a delusional visdual of what my heart was doing.

I felt true pain. like what a heart attack would feel like, much worse than any very serious panic attack ive had before. it felt like my heart was twisting around something and then EXPLODED.. I errupted into a fit and then passed out and woke up from it feeling very ill. I look over at my friernd and hes throweing up out of his window.. unable to breathe, turning grey and green and looking like hes gonna die, couldnt get a response from him, cos he wassd just constantly dry heaving. was a pretty fucked up exp[erience for both of us.. and whoever made those pills deserved to be fuckin shot.