• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Natural Psychotropics and Ethnobotanics Thread

All of the Pedicularis' are tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, powerful aphrodesiacs, and sedatives. They are often employed medicinally for muscle pain and tension, particularly back pain. Pedicularis are also used for their psychological effects, good for anger, fear, pain, anxiety. At least one Native American tribe is known to smoke the flowers of certain Pedicularis species for their medicinal effects and narcotic effects. These plants are a welcome addition to any smoking mixture both as flavor and a narcotic. Elephant's Head is claimed to have the best flavor but is the mildest, but every Pedicularis has an excellent taste. P. Densiflora being the most potent species.

Very interesting information- do you have any links for this? You have me intrigued....

Yes they do seem very interesting. I'm familiar with alot of herbs, but never tried this one as I've read some negative reports on it. Do you know anything about the biochemical pharmacology of it?

QUOTE said:
ELEPHANT'S HEAD
Botanical Name: Pedicularis groenlandica
Family: Scrophulariaceae

Parts Used: Flowering herb

Constituents: * Variable (see below). Volatile oil (mostly monoterpenes) Flavonoids, including luteolin; Phenylpropanoids including verbascoside, echinacoside.

Principal Actions: CNS depressant, voluntary muscle relaxant.

Pharmacy: Tincture of Dry herb 1:5, 50% alcohol. 5-10ml up to QID. Infusion flowers 5gms/250ml up to TID.

Pedicularis spp, are abundant in the NorthWest. Not to be confused with the European Wood Betony, they are commonly known as Louseworts; but morphological variation in the inflorescence has given rise to zoopomorphic common names such as Elephant's Head (P. groelandica), Parrot's beak (P. racemosa) and Cobra Head (P. bracteosa). Medicinally they are little studied or used other than by local herbalists who employ them as a mild sedatives with a pronounced relaxant action on skeletal muscle.

BOTANY
P. groelandica is a showy perennial Scrophulariaceae, with pink-white flowers on a racemose spike up to 60 cm tall. The leaves are fern like, the stem unbranched, and the individual flowers on the spike have a ³trunk² in between the three lobed ³ears²- hence the common appellation. It is found in damp meadows at middle to high elevations - in Oregon it is found on both sides of the Cascade mountains. The genus itself is abundant, and there are over forty species throughout North America, with representatives from Mexico to Alaska.

HARVESTING
The flowering herb is gathered and dried. For tincture, the whole herb is used, for infusions, the flowers are preferred.

PHARMACOLOGY
There are a very few studies on the constituents of the genus covering a range of about twenty species. There even fewer on the biological activity of the herb. An outstanding feature of the constituent analyses is the variability of different components. For example, P. groelandica has been shown to contain the isoquinoline alkaloid methyl cytisine (also found in Caulophyllum) whilst the pyrrolizidine alkaloid senecionine has been found in another species (1). A sensible, if unsubstantiated hypothesis to explain this has been put forward by Moore (2) - ie that the species is potentially parasitic, and when found in close association with other plants, has the capacity to absorb constituents of its neighbour. It is undoubtedly true that P. groelandica is commonly found in meadows which are abundant in Senecio triangularis, however they grow close to other alkaloidal species such as Aconitum, and Aconitine has not been recorded in the genus. The ³parasite² hypothesis remains speculative, if attractive.
One study has confirmed that a hot aqueous extract has both CNS sedative and hypotensive actions in vivo(3), although the species used was not groelandica.

ETHNOBOTANY
There is ethnobotanical evidence that a related species P canadensis was used by more than one tribe as an abortifacient taken as hot infusion.(1). The same sepecies was also used as a love charm, and as an aphrodisiac - the herb was chopped and sprinkled on the (spouse's) food to kindle their interest(4).

MEDICINAL USES
Willard (4) suggests the herb is a useful febrifuge and diaphoretic as a hot infusion, as well as a relaxing sedative. Moore(2) suggests that the relaxant action is primary, as well as having a thymoleptic effect. The extract has been used by massage therapists to help relax excessive muscular tension; the flowers have been incorporated into a relaxing smoking mixture.(5) It is seen by some herbalists to be an appropriate remedy for children who cannot sleep due to a state of overexicitation.(2)

this is from..
http://www.entheogen.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-985.html

an excerpt from an ethnobotany book, mostly on just its locations, few effects listed.. sorta worthless but these two are about all i can find for something that looks halfway credible
http://books.google.com/books?id=vx...ql5kx&sig=jqMw_NRSBO0AWaQWrsX4GiPfOdI#PPP1,M1

^Cheers bro, much appreciated. I haven't been able to find out anything about these plants, except that no-one seems to know shit about them

I find the tropane- plants to be highly attractive to me, both in their seductive beauty, and their extremely powerful effects- I have only used small doses of scopolamine tablets, but someday I certianly plan to at least contemplate maybe concoting a brew of some brugmansias or daturas. I actually saw this really nice herbal beer recipe that used blue lotus as a bittering agent and a species of brugmansia for sedation and reduction of nasuea I believe. It looked like a very tasty ethnobotanical brew.... Erick, do you have links for the tropane being addictive? Thats an interesting and rather weird fact....

I've been enjoying a blend of nymphae caerulea (sp?) and alba, with leonitis leonuris flowers, just an occaisional pipe or joint with a drink or two really seems to elevate dopamine levels. A nice gentle blens- nothing to rave about, but a good alternative to cigarettes. As a heavy smoker, I'll have to try puffing a bit of datura I think- I do have quite a bad cough ;)

Willow, have you tried fresh blue lotus/lilly flowers extracted in wine, as done on Sacred Weeds documentary?

edit: btw, i have a recipe for henbane beer, if interested.%)

Last edited:
And count yourself lucky if you don't attempt to take a bath in the middle of a freeway.

Jimson weed is a poor choice to play with, Datura plays for keeps. I got lucky that I didn't do anything too stupid while on the stuff but others haven't been as lucky and I did get naked in a totally innapropriate place. For some reason getting naked is a common part of stories that start "One time at band camp, while on datura...."

All too true, high doses of datura are bad news, but low doses, say, under 2 grams or so can produce a nice light-headedness in some people, and can be used medicinally as an anti-histamine. Low doses can be used to potentiate other entheogens as well. Personally, I'm not too comfortable with datura though, the light sensativity and constant cotton mouth are just too much for me.

On another forum I frequent, there has been a lot of hype recently about Verbascum blattaria v. erubescens aka white moth mullein as an excelent cannibis substitute. Anyone have any good info on it. I have yet to be able to find a list of its active constituents and would really like to know more about it. If anyone has any good info on it, please post it, any help is appreciated:)

Last edited:
A relatively safe way to use datura is by adding broken/crushed/shredded (whole seeds can make your joint explode) seeds to marihuana.
Even with that inefficient method you might find yourself thinking and talking total bs.
Can be a sorta nice high, in moderation.

Daily use made my alarm bells ring so I didn't really explore that option.

The smoke smells real bad so you'll definitely get funny looks and remarks if you do this in public.

I would be interested in seeing the effect of Kanna on an MDMA or LSD experience: I know that it synergizes very nicely with cannabis. ;)

I'd also note that wormwood extract appears to be pretty psychoactive both on its own and (especially) when combined with a bit of hemp.

Since Kanna is an SSRI, it might actually decrese the effects of MDMA or LSD, as other SSRI's certainly do, but then again it might not...

kratom

So, I just tried some kratom leaf, 9g steeped in hot (not boiling) water. Didn't feel anything within 45 mins so drank another 5g. Still got nothing.

I've previously used 2-3g of extract (standardized 15x) and felt significant effects. Should i try a higher dose next time?

^kratom's pretty hit or miss with me it seems, even from the same vendor, one batch comparing to the next batch could be pretty different in depth of effects it seems. i've also notice that dosing for the second time after a first has never done much for me, even if i am well off and good from the first dose. gotta love it though when it all works out
edit: i'd wait a day or two as tolerance is a bitch with kratom and combine those two weights and maybe a tad to drink all at once.. depends on you though if you like drink after drink of smaller weights as opposed to stomaching a bulk amount

Strangely, the last batch I had was kicking my ass at as low as 6 grams. But this current batch I just received seems much weaker. It had been pretty consistent for a while, but this one is taking around 10 to 12 grams per dose.

Kratom seems hit or miss to me too, especially considering 3 whole grams of 25x extract did almost nothing for me once. Reminds me of that lactucarium, or lettuce opium, sometimes its good, sometimes its bunk.

I never had any luck whatsoever with the extracts. I mean, they did something, but nothing even close to what their supposed strength would have done with regular strength leaf. I have found the leaf to be the most consistent and best value by far and have mentioned this many times here at BL. I've never had regular leaf not work. its potency varies a bit, but mostly, from a good supplier, it's quite consistent. This last batch I got is probably the weakest I've ever had, and is quite unusual. I've been using kratom for 3 years, and I've very rarely had a batch vary in strength (dose required) by more than a gram or two. Until this one, which seems like it's perhaps old and/or was stored in the heat. FYI, kratom should be stored in your freezer to prevent degradation, which can happen pretty quickly.

iv heard of fake kratom hitting the market.
perhaps you have fallen victom to it :(