• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

is there anything you ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW?

NHL Guy

Bluelighter
Is there anything u "ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW"?

How many ppl have things that bug them... ??
Things you dont know..
Little pieces of info they dont have.
Lyrics you cant quite figure out.
(Or even random pieces of info that you DO know, that you find so paramount to your existense (heh) that you would like to burden the rest or the bluelight community with, please share... )
As much I like to lead myself to believe that I, indeed, DO know everything, alas it is not true.. *sniffle*
I have many, MANY things just like this, that keep me awake at night..
Here goes:
In 'FIGHT CLUB', WHAT ON EARTH does Edward Norton say as a narrative voice over when he is in the doctor's surgery asking the doctor if he can die from insomnia.
All i can make out are the words 'lipstick' and 'tuesdays'.. i think. I'm not sure.
(If you chuck FIGHT CLUB on your telly, and count 5 mins:5 secs from the time the opening credit music begins, you'll be there)
It bugs the fuk outta me, cos i can repeat the line as it sounds but i cant for the life of me figure out what he says..
I cant even find the screenplay on the net.
Can ANYONE tell me...?
=K9=
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: #K9# ]

Hey K9,
If you go to HERE you will be able to find out exactly what he says...
It's a link to the Fight club script....
Enjoy :)
BTW he says:
JACK
What about narcolepsy? I nod off, I wake up in strange places, I have no idea how I got there.
INTERN
You need to lighten up.
JACK
Can't you, please, just give me something?
JACK (V.O.)
Red-and-blue Tuinal lipstick-red seconals.
F
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: friskk ]
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: friskk ]

YOU ROCK...
You rock and I want to have ten thousand of your babies.. (!!!!)
"and now for my next trick.."
For those medically minded:
Why do bright lights make you sneeze?
Ive never figured it out...
As soon as I feel 'that twinge' all i need to do is run to a window (sunlight works best), or stare directly up at whatever flouro light is above and
*BAM* I snort our a pearler of a sneeze that may or may not be accompanied with ballistic particles and projectile fluids.
(WAY too much info i know but still... )
In some cases i actually WONT sneeze properly unless i do this.
but then again I'm weird so WTF...

this may help
What is a sneeze? Well, everybody knows what a sneeze is, but try and describe it sometime! The fact is, a sneeze is a very complicated thing, involving many areas of the brain. A sneeze is a reflex triggered by sensory stimulation of the membranes in the nose, resulting in a coordinated and forceful expulsion of air through the mouth and nose. A "reflex" means that some type of stimulation of your body causes you to react in a way that is NOT under your control, in other words you do it automatically without thinking and you can’t even stop it. Your body has many reflexes - the other one important to us here is called the "pupillary light reflex". If you shine a light in your eyes, your pupils get smaller, or constrict. You should be able to see this easily in a friend using a flashlight (or in the mirror).
In the pupillary light reflex, shining a light in the eye causes nerve signals to go from the eye to the brain and then back the eye again, telling the pupil to constrict. In the usual sneeze reflex, tickling the nose causes nerve signals to go from the nose to the brain and then back out to the nose, mouth, chest muscles and everything else involved in the actual sneeze. The key point is that the nerve signals take complicated routes through the brain, but usually the pupillary light reflex and sneeze reflex take different routes. Apparently what happens in sun-sneezers is that shining a bright enough light in the eye ALSO sends nerves signals from the eye to the brain and then back out to the nose, mouth and chest! In short, the wires are crossed a little bit in some people, and so shining a light in the eye "accidentally" activates two different outgoing pathways.
3) What is the benefit or value of sun-sneezing? Is it a good thing? Again, not an easy question! Some people argue that it must be a good thing since the trait has been maintained in our population. I’m not so sure.
What is the benefit of sneezing in general? The easy answer is that the thing tickling your nose might be a bad thing (like a virus, bacteria or pollen), and sneezing forces it out. The problem is that most adults sneeze mostly through their mouth, and so sneezing won’t force anything out of the nose. This is in contrast to most animals, who sneeze largely through their nose (watch your dog or cat next time). So I think that sneezing really serves little purpose to humans (little kids might be an exception to this). I think that sneezing is important to animals that rely heavily on the sense of smell, but that in us it is just an annoying "holdover" of evolution. But that is just my opinion.
But even if a normal sneeze does function in ridding the nose of foreign materials, I can think of no reason why shining a light in the eye would create a need to force things from the nose! And in the several papers I have read on this subject, no one else gave a reason why sun-sneezing would be beneficial. Sun-sneezing must truly either be an accident of brain anatomy, or an evolutionary holdover from our animal friends, that serves no purpose in humans.
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: wazza ]

Since I dont subscribe the more-than-largely unsupported THEORY of evolution...
(which the most prominent 'forefather' of, officially denounced on his own death-bed incidentally, way to go Darwin)
..I'll go with the "my brain is a freak of anatomy" and has crossed wires..
CANT be worse than the shit i've manged to permenantly 'cross' in my substance-travels.
Heh heh.. I am now an official "Sun Sneezer"
Thanks again
K9

damn, i miss the fight club question. favourite movie of all time. anyways here's what Straight Dope has to say about sneezes:
You are thinking this is a matter of idle curiosity? Au contraire--it's a threat to our national security.
Listen to this frightening headline: "The photic sneeze reflex as a risk factor to combat pilots," Military Medicine, Breitenbach et al, 1993.
"Photic sneeze reflex" is the medical term for what you've got. Researchers fear they'll get a guy like you in a screaming dogfight, you break through the clouds into bright sunlight, you sneeze, your eyes snap shut, and the next thing you know they're picking you up off the landscape with a rake.
Photic sneeze reflex occurs in something like one-sixth to one-quarter of the population. It occurs more often in Caucasians than Afro-Americans or Orientals.
According to a Johns Hopkins medic named Stephen Peroutka, the trait is passed along genetically, with a 50 percent chance of inheritance.
Researchers in Sweden found that out of 460 subjects, 24 percent sneezed in bright light, and 40 percent had at least one sneezing parent.
Sixty-four percent of children with one sneezing parent were themselves sneezers, but two nonsneezers never produced a sneezer. (Isn't it amazing how I can make these things so easy to understand?)
Nobody's exactly sure what causes photic sneeze reflex. I see here in one of the journals we have an impressive discussion of the role of the trigeminal nerve nucleus.
Basically what this is saying is that you've got a lot of nerves crammed together in the front of your head, and maybe there can can be leakage of sorts from one nerve pathway to another. So perhaps the reflex is just a case of congenitally crossed signals.
At this point nobody's prepared to go in there with a pliers and fix it. So your best bet is to wear sunglasses and stay out of fighter jets.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_303.html
For any wierd questions that bug you, the Straight Dope is the first place to go.
#K9# was that crack about evolution serious? you really don't want to start a debate about that here. you will, with no doubt, lose. the only way you couldn't is to pull the religion card, and that's fine, feel free, but that's a whole nother type of losing IMO ;)
oh fuck it, i couldn't resist. here's a debunking of the death bed recanting myth, and just to be fair this is taken from a religous site. just goes to show at least some relgious peole will accept logic and fact.
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]

I always wanted to know how long forever is?
I also always wanted to know how God has been and will be alive forever if no one can even define forever.
I was also always puzzled as to how God was created and who made him.
I got in trouble at Christian camp for asking these questions.

I still haven't been to Phillip Island to verify the answers about the seagulls, so I'll ask again.
Where are all the baby seagulls?
How do they chocolate all the way around a Malteeser without leaving a seem, nor a flat spot where dried?

elevhein:
I've lived near the ocean for almost 50 years. I have never, never seen a baby seagull. Where are they?
-- John P., Coronado
Yeah, you have, John. You've seen lots of them. You just didn't realize what you were looking at. Baby gulls come off the nest just a few weeks after hatching, and by then they're the same size as the adults. But it takes three to four years for a gull to acquire its adult plumage. A "baby" gull just off the nest will be nearly all dark gray; with each year's molt, it grows more adult white plumage. So you can eyeball a gaggle of gulls and make a pretty good guess about when each of the juveniles was hatched by the amount of gray left on its body. But maybe what you're saying is you've never seen a gull's nest with babies in it. Now that I could believe. Gulls commute around the county to feed, sleep, and nest. For feeding they've learned to go where people are; for nesting and sleeping they pick the most remote, quiet spots they can, which includes niches along the harbor and Mission Bay and our offshore islands.
http://www.sdreader.com/php/ma_show.php3?id=011801B
Still working on the malteser one...

Took a bit of research (more than 6 seconds) to find out some info on maltesers.
Maltesers are made in two stages. The inner crunchy part is made by making small pellets of a dough like mixture. This is placed in a low pressure container which forces the bubbles in the mixture to expand, making the pellets larger. The pellets are then coated with chocolate and polished. The details are vague because the company wouldn't give me exact details!
I'm not sure of the exact recipe for the "honeycomb" bit, but I'm reliably informed that it is no coincidence that the Horlicks factory is just up the road from the Mars factory where they make Maltesers. Whatever the ingredients are, once mixed they are made into little pellets. These pellets are then cooked in a vacuum oven which gives them their "honeycomb" texture. Then, they are sent tumbling over lots of chocolate covered rollers to get their coating, chilled and finally bagged and boxed.
As a student I worked at the Horlicks factory in Slough and (since no-one told me to keep it secret) can reliably inform that the stuff inside Maltesers is ground up to make Horlicks. The recipe included malt extract and milk which were cooked in a partial vacuum, firstly to reduce its water content then, to puff it up. We used to munch big chunks of it fresh out of the oven - delicious.
The chocolate coating is the clever part - uniform coating with no evidence of spread caused by resting on a surface while the chocolate is drying. This is done by atomising the chocolate and 'spraying' it onto the honeycomb as the balls wing and roll their way through a vortex (tornado type thing). Each little droplet of chocolate dries almost immediately so you get the even coating.
taken from here

bc, god exists outside of time and space. time and space are just two of the things that god invented in order to tweak with our brains. god is yhwh or jehovah. it means 'i am that i am'. he is the same today, yesterday and forever. ie. unchangeable, unchanging, beyond the effects and control of time.
and forever is a bloody long time. actually, it's slightly longer than that :) .
as for the maltesers, they are on angled rollers that spin on the production line. the centre goes through a coating machine, and as it rolls out, it's air dried, and as the chocolate cools, it's still being rolled forwards and sideways, so by the time it comes off the rollers, it's hard, and has a perfectly smooth, round finish. :)

Boppychick: You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking why anyone would make up the idea of a god...

Why phonetic isn't spelt phonetically?
The answer to "How wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
* Edit: Fixed typos. These Psuedoephedrines are making me drowzzzzzzzz*
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: Raving Loony ]

Ok, someone out there must know this. Who is that song Popular by?
goes something like this>>>
I drive a nice car
i'm popular
i never get caught
i'm popular
i'm a teachers pet
i make football bets
etc ect
Also a song i can only remember what the film clip is like. Has a dude running around in an empty train station in slow motion, then he runs into someone.
Thats all i can remember, i was sure it's by massive attack but cant seem to find it on any of their albums.
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: *NRG* ]

Good one SDB.
I dunno though. I just try to picture this in my head and it doesn't work. There has to be a beginning and an end, I dont understand how this universe and everything has existed forver and will exist forever. Where did it come form, everything has to come from something. This question is asked when not considering God too... I think these questions are too big for man to ever answer though, but it is fun to think about :)

NRG: A hint on the song, it's on JJJ's hottest 100 from about 98 I think.
As for the Malteesers, I was hoping for something a bit more elaborate really, that's kind ofa let down. I guess there really are no wet rubbing gnomes.
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: elevhein ]

*NRG*
Three important rules for breaking up
Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
Tell him honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly
Don't make a big production
Don't make up an elaborate story
This will help you avoid a big tear jerking scene
If you wanna date other people say so
Be prepared for the boy to feel hurt and rejected
Even if you've gone together for only a short time,
And haven't been too serious,
There's still a feeling of rejection
When someone says she preferres the company of others
To your exclusive company,
But if you're honest, and direct,
And avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you brake the news,
The boy will respect you for your frankness,
And honestly he'll apeciate the kind of straight foward manner
In which you told him your decision
Unless he's a real jerk or a cry baby you will remain friends
I'm head of the class
'm popular
I'm a quarter back
I'm popular
My mom says I'm a catch
I'm popular
I'm never last picked
I got a cheerleader chick
Being attractive is the most important thing there is
If you wanna catch the biggest fish in your pond
You have to be as attractive as possible
Make sure to keep your hair spotless and clean
Wash it at least every two weeks
Once every two weeks
And if you see Jonny football hero in the hall
Tell him he played a great game
Tell him you like his article in the newspaper
I'm the party star
I'm popular
I've got my own car
I'm popular
I'll never get caught
I'm popular
I make football bets
I'm a teachers pet.
I purpose we support a one month limit on going steady
I think It will keep you both more able to deal with weird situation
And get to know more people
I think if you're ready to go out with Jonny
Now's the time to tell him about your one month limit
He wont mind he'll apreciate your fresh look on dating
And once you've dated someone else you can date him again
I'm sure hell l did
Everyone will appreciate it
You so novel what a good idea
You can keep you time to your self
You don't need date insurance
You can go out with whoever you want to
Every boy, every boy, in the whole world could be yours
Iif you'll just listen to my plan
THE TEENAGE GUIDE TO POPULARITY
Nada Surf : High / Low
Popular

Popular is by Nada Surf
Beaten by "that" much....
[ 15 November 2002: Message edited by: mossy ]

A group called NADA SURF sing that song...
ha ha.. so glad to be of service..
BUT i will say this thread really only comfortably supports questions that actually HAVE a defined answer..
I THINK WAZZA is the SHIT! for getting all that stuff on Maltesers..
I fukn LOVE trivia..
ha ha. glad i got this going.. Who else has got some juicy bits of absolutely useless yet nonetheless intriguing info tey can spill..??
*pants, foams at mouth.. and heels expectantly..*

RL, does anyone even know what "chucking wood" is? :) That may lend a clue to how much the woodchuck would chuck, perhaps. If, of course, he could chuck wood.... which clearly he couldn't... and in fact, perhaps wouldn't have the slightest inclination to do so even if he could..
*head spins*
i like this thread, I am learning a lot