Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is PMA becoming a myth?

my innerself

Bluelighter
Everyone knows that pills containing heroin or cocaine pretty much
dont exist (Im not going to say they dont exist because there have been pills found to contain these substances). But it seems that the presence of PMA in pills seems to be almost just as non existent. Obviuosly it is a relevent threat and all pills should be tested but when was the last time a pill containing PMA was recorded. There always seems to be the threat but we never see PMA in pills. There was the hype last year about the Red Mitzubishi's containing PMA but they turned out to be an MDMA - caffeine combo. Does anyone know the last time a pill contained PMA was found?

i dont think it is a thing to do with the prevelence, but hte social utility of the pressence of the substance...

teh fact that if it is found, then hte consequesnces are dire...

PMA is found fairly consistently (at least once a year) in batches of pills processed by Forensics Labs in Australia. Quite how this reflects on hospital presentations is a matter of ongoing research, and it is very difficult to extrapolate to its prevalence in the community

I also am struggling with how you have worded your post. Regardless of how infrequently something is found, you must be cautious and aware that is does exist and can be found in pills. If I remember correctly PMA was pretty big in the Adelaide scene years ago and people would choose to use PMA. There is a possibility that people out there still use it and with that comes the chance that it could be distributed.

I think the biggest problems with heroin and cocaine being in pills is the lack of mass available in pills to make them effective and the prohibitive cost of these substances. The same is probably not the case for PMA cost wise and 60mg is a significant dose for PMA (from erowid). I think by suggesting that it being found in pills is a myth could lead to dangerous complacency.

When considering present and future availability of PMA, what needs to be remembered, is that for unscrupulous producers solely intent on making money - and not being caught- PMA offers an active product that is made from a starting material far easier to procure than those used for MDMA manufacture.

In fact, for the common peracid, over the counter (OTC) synthesis, which first requires isomerising safrole, anethole is one step closer to PMA than safrole is to MDMA. It can also amount to a considerable time saver for the chemist, as isomerisation without a particular ingredient can take 16+ hours.

As import restrictions limit the amount of MDMA entering the country, and already tight legislation further limits availability of safrole and isosafrole (and to a lesser extend piperonal), anethole is (or will be) likely to be seen by some low life producers as a far easier starting point.

As mentioned, the process of manufacturing PMA from anethole can be totally OTC as far as ingredients are concerned. So, while at present, reported police seizures of the drug are low, people should not become complacent on the issue. While such a large MDMA market continues to exist, and supply of the drug becomes further restricted, it is a very real threat. Some might even say that the recent rescheduling of ketamine potentially exacerbates this problem by limiting availability of another commonly used substitute.

Recently while at a party, I was approached by someone who spoke of PMA as being a more "natural" product made from oil of anise. He was quite convinced that it was "better" for you than MDMA, and also said word among the natural high scene frequently confirmed this. It took me some time get him to see things differently, but even then, I was one voice against many he'd heard that supported the silly notion that PMA was a more natural, and therefore safer drug than MDMA. Of course PMA is no more natural than MDA, although both are produced in-vivo in very small quantities by the liver following the ingestion of herbs and spices containing the respective essential oil alkenes.

While I would hope most Bluelighters are more soundly informed, stories like this serve to demonstrate how easy it is for such misconceptions to spread amongst those who know no better and have little to no contact with those who do.

PMA was found in F1's last year wasn't it?

If you are still unconvinced of the "real" dangers of PMA existing in Australia, try doing a search on this board. drplatypus will also be able to confirm that a great proportion of reported PMA fatalities have occurred in Australia. Samadhi lost a close friend to it, and Ianhard, a once keen BL poster and supporter of PMA, died from it.

Last edited:
I recall a brown smiley last year testing positive for pma. I can't remember which city it was in.

In short: It would be the height of stupidity to assume any substance not being in circulation.

Cyberdyne said:
I recall a brown smiley last year testing positive for pma. I can't remember which city it was in.

I also seen that on pill reports. I think it was Adelaide.

I've got a couple of friends in Adelaide and they're still telling me PMA is definitely around.

Originally posted by Bent
I've got a couple of friends in Adelaide and they're still telling me PMA is definitely around.
Something I have noticed while attending Adelaide events testing pills for Enlighten is the large amount of people who believe PMA is in their pill, yet they are still happy to take it. I think this is a mix of ignorance and street myth where people confuse a mongy MDxx experience as PMA. It is still interesting to note this perception doesn't really occur in Melbourne where Enlighten does most of it's testing. The point is unless they have a positive reagent test for PMA it may be another chemical mistaken for PMA.

Cowboy Mac said:
who believe PMA is in their pill, yet they are still happy to take it.

Really? These guys are actually more picky than most I know - they constantly hear from PMA rumours, and so steer well clear of any rumoured PMA pills.