Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Spotting Undercovers

Benno23

Bluelighter
I was just having a browse through the caught by undercovers thread, and thought it would be a right-and-dandy idea to consolidate a few tips on how to spot someone who gets paid to fuck with your fun.

At a big event early on in the year, I was with a mate who was rolling a joint in full view of a crowd of people (we were beyond caring by that stage). About five mins after the joint was finished, a real dodgy looking guy (ie messy hair, flannel shirt, dodgy jeans) walked straight up to him and asked if he had any weed to sell. He said no.
What I noticed from this is that the dodgy guy (who may actually not have been a cop, but how do you tell if you don't get caught doing anything) didn't start a conversation with him, wasn't near us when the joint was being smoked, and as far as I could tell, didn't know we may have used drugs - he just came up and asked for weed.
The other thing i noticed, was someone standing about 5 meters away from us on top of a concrete block about a foot high. He was up against a fence, so the crowd of people were all in front of him. This guy needed to stretch and yawn and generally gesture a fair bit, so I assume, as well as being a cop, he was looking out from his vantage point trying to spot dodgy activity. He saw us having a joint, so signalled another orifice of the law to enquire about our wares. I'm assuming these guys aren't going to waste their time by busting everyone with a spliff.

I guess my main point is, if someone you don't know asks you for drugs out of the blue, tell them to piss off.
If you see someone at a good vantage point looking around a bit and perhaps making signals (if they keep making the same movements over and over, you coulod be pretty sure, especially if every 2-3 "gestures" involves pointing at someone - not necessarily with their finger though), they are probably directing their comrades who can't see what's going on.

Thats about it, any comments/critisism/ideas?!?.........

This may not be relevant in Australia, but in England anyone asking for 'Es' is either an undercover cop or horribly new to the scene

i get asked for Es everytime im out . im sick of it !! its always the anxious looking people who are trying too hard to act inconspicuous . Dont trust anyone unless you know them . Even though someone may not look like a cop they could still be an informant .Lately i had this young (17) year old girl pressure me into selling her some pills . She could obviously tell i was chopped and was trying to take advantage of me .she was shit out of luck cause i never sell pills anyways. i picked up a real wierd vibe off her as if she was acting or something . Later it turns out she was ratting everyone out to the undercovers .
be careful ...

most of the undercovers ive seen in aus have been dressed formally , with like collared shirts and tidy pants and shoes.
They stick out like dogs balls , expecially at raves .
But yeah u never know ....

You'll spot them when they come and arrest you flashing you their badge. I doubt cops are as stupid as you think they are sticking out like that old guy in the hawaiian shirt who just doesn't fit in around here. I'm sure they blend in much better than you see in the movies.

Lots of people look funny and do funny things/gestures at the sort of events your going to. Its one of those things with drugs, not only can they make you a bit(read a lot) paranoid it makes some poeople behave a bit abnormal too ;)

Fry-d- said:
You'll spot them when they come and arrest you flashing you their badge. I doubt cops are as stupid as you think they are sticking out like that old guy in the hawaiian shirt who just doesn't fit in around here. I'm sure they blend in much better than you see in the movies.

Exactly. A good friend of mine's child-hood friend is an undercover, met her a few times and she's a really cool chick, spent months in a heroin den to bust some big tme guys.

And never, ever, ever, ever, ever would you pick her, she's the stunning, petite little hot blonde...the last person in the club you'd expect to be an undercover.

im yet to "notice" one in rave gear... the usual ones come up and ask u dodgy shit like "can you get us any 'flippies'?" fucking morons... they usually hang in pairs... and are dressed 'neat casual' as i'd put it...

look to their faces - drug users have drug user faces - but in saying that, read the book "the street" some actually pose as junky bums to catch smack dealers on the street and shit. saw a neat photo, this guy literally looked like a street junky.

just be weary... but not so weary... the more u care - the more paranoid u are - the more OBSVIOUS it is u r trying not to be caught, the more likely it will happen.

Originally posted by Zaineaol
im yet to "notice" one in rave gear... the usual ones come up and ask u dodgy shit like "can you get us any 'flippies'?" fucking morons... they usually hang in pairs... and are dressed 'neat casual' as i'd put it...

What we have here is a textbook definition of: "specious reasoning"

Just because you havnt observed it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. Indeed, the only time you would ever probably observe it, is if you were on the wrong end of it.

There is obviously some confusion as to the difference between Under Cover cops...and cops in plain clothes. There's a big Diff.

Guys under cover, you won't spot. That's how they work. They become part of the furniture, they join bluelight (I'm sure they're here) , they hangout with the people who are connected...and generally they are not putting in 6mths or more of living with and befriending dealers, manufacturers etc just to make a couple of busts at a club on fri night. That's more the job of the local boys.

KB, thats exactly what my post was getting at... You wouldn't see it unless you were at the wrong end of it...

if you read the article about Bass Station Carpark, i'm sure you would have heard that the herald sun reporters were dressed in rave gear?

I can remember being approached by some guy at a rave who was dressed up in punk clothes, he quickly asked me if I had any weed (maybe because he'd seen me smoke a bong or two where I was located) but something about him seemed off. Like the tone of his voice gave me the impression he didnt really care if he got weed or not. I said I had none and he vanished into the night. It was strange, he just didnt seem very sincere to me at all. Though I guess theoretically the undercovers could get munted and wear fat pants, as I know I sure as hell wouldn't suspect anyone like that to be an undercover.

A little OT, but I remember about 12 months ago an american guy asked me if I wanted a pill while I was out in Newcastle.
I told him ok, and when he got it out, I flashed my wallet real quick and told him he was under arrest. He absolutely shit himself until I started pissing myself. He took it well, after I told him he should learn his lesson by not asking randoms in a strange country if they want pills.

Some people would call it slack, but I think it was funny. He learnt his lesson without getting arrested and I got a giggle.

Back on topic. The undercovers around Newcastle that I have spotted are morons. They are always sitting by themselves with a bottle of water and normal pupils asking everyone who walks past for Eccies or Eez (pronounced with a z). What makes it worse is that two of them are cops that are on the news a fair bit and people recignise them. I dont think theyve ever picked someone up.

Is there a australian "undercover" photo web library yet ?

Maybe its time to put those camera phones to good use and get some pictures of your "friends".

You know how it goes...

Narc approches "got any Ez/pillz/L S D/biccies/weed"?

Your reply "no sorry, but i like your outfit mind if we get a pic together?"

submit to http://www.gotyoucopper.com.au .. yes this is a joke. :p ... but is there applied law for this? is there anything stopping a person gathering info for a site similar to that?

I guess there wouldnt much they could do about it if it was hosted off australian/Us shores

Look everyone be 'Alert but not alarmed' ok

You can sell drugs to anyone if you follow my proven "how to find out if the guy your selling drugs to a narc" checklist

1. Make the buyer bare their ankles. Police are very modest and will be embarrassed and shocked at such a request (not understanding the crazed mindset of a seller) and thus will reflect a significant state of unwillingness to show the world their ankles (let alone the gun strapped to it).

2. Ask the buyer to show his wallet. Police, like Ravens & Crows, like shiny objects. As a result you'll notice amongst the bottle caps, nails, and tinsel in their wallet a nice shiny badge like object. NB: To see if policeEntity (can’t be sexist or humanist) is an actual narc (as opposed to a dirty cop) ask it if you can lick their badge. No self respecting copper will let someone lick it’s badge ($100 for the first person who can lick a cops police badge) - this does have homo-erotic overtones so be careful bluelighters (unless your gay and don't mind the latent possibility of sex)

3. Most people who have nerved themselves to buy drugs from the street will be prepared to do almost anything in their nervously adrenalin charged state thus have the person complete a rigorous physical challenge. Near a brick wall, have the person attempt to jump it?

An undercover copper can and will easily jump a brickwall (at least 5-6 foot) on the proviso they believe their getting close to nabbing a drug dealer

Whilst most normal people, even in the state they're in, will tell you to fuck off.

4. Quiz your potential buyer regarding the drug they are about to purchase (and consume). For example

Give three different slang names for X substance
How long does X substance last for
What are the positive effects
What are the negative effects
If you take it will you float in water
What is the maximum dose
Is it possible to IV

And so on, its awesome because not only are quiz’s fun but your being socially responsible and not selling your drugs to a dipshit who is going to fuck himself giving a bad name to everyone else. Now on the other hand if the respondent answers with perfect text book answers and language you might want to just frustrate this obviously uptight bastard (and possible cop) by refusing sale.

5. And the final test (and my favorite because its so damn effective)-

Called the "Bali District Judicial technique 1 – As a Judge how does one determine guilt:

Look into their eyes and ask the person are they a criminal or policeman. Any flicker or movement will expose the person as a lying son of a bitch, refuse sale and be safe in the knowledge that your 'Alert but not alarmed'

chugs said:
Look everyone be 'Alert but not alarmed' ok

You can sell drugs to anyone if you follow my proven "how to find out if the guy your selling drugs to a narc" checklist

1. Make the buyer bare their ankles. Police are very modest and will be embarrassed and shocked at such a request (not understanding the crazed mindset of a seller) and thus will reflect a significant state of unwillingness to show the world their ankles (let alone the gun strapped to it).

2. Ask the buyer to show his wallet. Police, like Ravens & Crows, like shiny objects. As a result you'll notice amongst the bottle caps, nails, and tinsel in their wallet a nice shiny badge like object. NB: To see if policeEntity (can’t be sexist or humanist) is an actual narc (as opposed to a dirty cop) ask it if you can lick their badge. No self respecting copper will let someone lick it’s badge ($100 for the first person who can lick a cops police badge) - this does have homo-erotic overtones so be careful bluelighters (unless your gay and don't mind the latent possibility of sex)

3. Most people who have nerved themselves to buy drugs from the street will be prepared to do almost anything in their nervously adrenalin charged state thus have the person complete a rigorous physical challenge. Near a brick wall, have the person attempt to jump it?

An undercover copper can and will easily jump a brickwall (at least 5-6 foot) on the proviso they believe their getting close to nabbing a drug dealer

Whilst most normal people, even in the state they're in, will tell you to fuck off.

4. Quiz your potential buyer regarding the drug they are about to purchase (and consume). For example

Give three different slang names for X substance
How long does X substance last for
What are the positive effects
What are the negative effects
If you take it will you float in water
What is the maximum dose
Is it possible to IV

And so on, its awesome because not only are quiz’s fun but your being socially responsible and not selling your drugs to a dipshit who is going to fuck himself giving a bad name to everyone else. Now on the other hand if the respondent answers with perfect text book answers and language you might want to just frustrate this obviously uptight bastard (and possible cop) by refusing sale.

5. And the final test (and my favorite because its so damn effective)-

Called the "Bali District Judicial technique 1 – As a Judge how does one determine guilt:

Look into their eyes and ask the person are they a criminal or policeman. Any flicker or movement will expose the person as a lying son of a bitch, refuse sale and be safe in the knowledge that your 'Alert but not alarmed'

LOL EXCELLENT! :D

LOL! Good work.

It's interesting because I don't spend much time in the rave scene and most of the people I take drugs around, we're in clubs with other people usually from their early twenties to mid thirties and quite often older.

I think the people pointing out others that are obviously different in rave clubs need to keep in mind... in that scene it's really easy to stand out. Fat pants and leg warmers and so on are almost a uniform and anyone choosing not to follow that trend is going to stand out, but it doesn't automatically make them a cop.

You guys are clearly forgetting that there are a lot of people who may be slightly jaded with the rave scene, who get a lot of enjoyment out of dressing like a stereotypical undercover cop and walking around clubs making people uncomfortable... ;)

Let me just say if you think undercover cops are typical morons that you can spot because they are so out of place you are fooling yourself. I used to work in a retail shop and when selling a product that required ID to be provided the guy I was helping was a cop. This guy had a dog collar, coloured hair, and ultra i-dont-give-a-fuck attitude and looked more the part than most bluelighters do. It will be your downfall if you think you can pick undercovers.

^ That's exactly right. It's just naive to they think the "undercovers" are the ones that stand out. There are some plain clothes police who go into nightclubs on occasion and stand out, but real undercover police are undercover for long periods of time and would never be spotted by the average punter: that's the whole point of their job. In some states they're also able to break the law (within reason) in the course of their duties and that includes taking drugs.

People are kidding themselves when they think they can spot real undercover police.

Last edited: