Votes: 9 32.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
I just recently saw Primer with a few friends. I was more confused after this movie than I was after Muholland Drive. Sometimes when I watch a movie and 'don't get it', it frustrates me but Primer was alluring enough to just make want to watch it over and over again. Some critics have pointed out loopholes in Carruth's (writer, director, actor, editor, score composer) ideas which may or may not be true.. I wouldn't know because I'm still not clear about most of the time travel aspects of it, but if they are this movie still makes you think. heavily. I'd recommend renting this but if you're not up for a mindtwister through a bunch of science jargon, don't.

I've tried to explain what this film is about to a few friends but I think the critics can elaborate better than me:

Primer

By Ty Burr
Boston Globe
Published: 10/15/2004

Every science fiction movie has a scene where all the gnarly theoretical underpinnings are explained in terms grade-schoolers and their parents can understand. (It's the part where the nuclear physicists go out for more popcorn.) That scene never comes in "Primer"; surprisingly, the film's the better for it.

Shane Carruth's extraordinary work of shoestring speculation throws you into a deep ocean of techno-jargon and lets you dog-paddle or sink like a stone. After a while, you realize the water's fine, even if you understand less than a third of what these people are saying. They do, and that hushed, locked-in intensity becomes the film's dramatic motor.

"Primer" cost $7,000 to make and won the Grand Jury Award at this year's Sundance Film Festival. It's probably the first venture capital suspense thriller. The film unfolds in the bland suburban living rooms and office parks of bright young men trying to reinvent their lives -- I'll warn you now that there are scenes of fund-raising barbecues -- and at first it doesn't matter what Aaron (Carruth) and Abe (David Sullivan) are trying to brainstorm. They and their colleagues have engineering degrees, good jobs, wives, small children, and all those things are secondary to the machine in the garage that's not working the way they want it to.

When the machine does work, it's in ways none of them expected. The power stays on after being unplugged, for instance, or a widget placed inside comes out covered with a strange green fungus. For a long stretch, "Primer" plays out as a mystery, with Abe and Aaron gradually shutting out their associates and feverishly discussing such things as parabolic loops. We sit there in the dark with them, and the crucial question is never "what does the machine do?" but "what's the application?" They've got that most modern form of hubris, start-up blindness.

Eventually all things become clear, or clearer, and if you want to retain an element of surprise, please don't read any further. "Primer" works best when the fog lifts from the audience's and the characters' eyes at the same instant. This is around the time Aaron realizes they'll need a bigger machine and Abe replies that he has already built one.

"Primer" eventually becomes a live-action M.C. Escher drawing of impossible theoretical realities, and while I wish I could tell you it all makes sense, my head hurts every time I try to figure out how. What's impressive -- aside from the fact that Carruth got the thing made in the first place -- is that the movie's tone skates right between coherence and an appreciation for endless, even infinite possibilities. When characters start showing up in the present who could only have been affected by plot twists we'll never know in the future, it's as though time itself was undergoing gusts of feedback.

Incidentally, this is a great way to blow people's minds without spending a dime on special effects.

Aspects of "Primer" are so low-rent as to evoke guffaws -- that time machine really does look like a refrigerator box covered with duct tape -- but the homemade feel is part of the point, and the dialogue and performances burrow deep into the cowboy-geek mentality of Silicon Valley. There's something indelibly sad about these white-collar boys who hope, in Abe's words, "to reverse-engineer the perfect moment" and who never realize how many such moments pass them by each day. "Primer" lets its characters play with time until time runs out.

http://www.boston.com/movies/display?display=movie&id=7295

This movie was fantastic. I own it on DVD now. I love the narration

Great movie, IMHO. I thought it was to movies what abstract paintings like those by Picasso and Dali are to visual art. A great debut film by Carruth.

this is simply, without a doubt, one of the best movies i have ever seen.

initially, it reminded me vaguely of memento - more in terms of style than content. once done, i think it makes memento seem quite prosaic.

i strongly recommend this movie.

alasdair

3 Stars

You know, one of the things that usually irk me the most is cinematic mindfuckery, especially when a film becomes so convoluted and self-important that watching it is basically a chore. Such a film is usually heralded as "smart" and "thought provoking," but to me it's just a complicated fuckin' headache. It's like listening to that persistent kid in the front row of your fifth grade math class -- you can't help but scoff at him every now and again. More often than not, I think the simplest stories make for the best films.

However, with this movie I found myself genuinely interested and I managed to stay focused throughout the whole thing. I really enjoyed it. Aside from being a little too complicated and hard to follow, I did notice the acting in this film was kinda iffy at times. The editing was kind of poor as well, and I didn't particularly like the overzealous use of tricks like jump cutting.

Last edited:
It is so refreshing to see a film that relies on story and character rather than fancy pants effects and camera work. I really enjoyed this film, although it did leave me with that WTF feeling. Definitely something I could watch again and would recommend to others interested in tying their brain in a knot for a couple hours.

Thanks for the recommendation peeps! I watched this last night and was drawn from the get go and got sucked in pretty quickly. The story had my gut wrenched at the possibilities of paradoxes. I like feeling uncomfortable during a film.

I have this now, I will watch it tonight. I had a look at the trailer and it seemed pretty good.

I caught this the other night while I was tripping. I was confused as all hell for a majority of the film. I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, just not the specifics of the situations... what was happening to who when. I ended up watching it three times in a row that night. Twice straight through, the third time with the director's commentary. That is how floored I was by this movie.

Primer just slid onto my top 10.

Strangely enough my friend brought this movie to my attention recently and had told me how great it was. He then told me that he noticed that one of his biology professors makes an appearance in the film and helped with some of the ideas behind it.

He is gonna let me borrow it, can't wait!

L2R said:
Thanks for the recommendation peeps! I watched this last night and was drawn from the get go and got sucked in pretty quickly. The story had my gut wrenched at the possibilities of paradoxes. I like feeling uncomfortable during a film.
Exactly... me too. My stomach was all knotted as they fell further into paradox!

Just finished watching this little cracker of a movie and I still don't know what the hell went on.

I'm resisting the temptation to read any spoilers though... I'll probably rip it to the hard drive and watch it back later. =D

"Primer" is one of my all-time faves, too. The first time I saw it I kept nodding on fentanyl and was lost the entire time, but the next time I watched it I was blown away. The director commentary is pretty insightful, too...

Odd this got bumped, I was just talking about this movie earlier today. I need to watch it again.

AmorRoark said:
I was more confused after this movie than I was after Muholland Drive.

How is that possible?. Mulholland Drive gave me a severe headache after watching it. My brain couldn't take all those questions it was asking itself and threatened to self destruct =D

just watched it a second time. first time i was stoned, so icould follow it but thought the entire thing was too much for me head at the time. then when i realised it was meant to be so, it kinda freaked me out. lol. i can't believe how intense it feels... when i watch it it seriously makes my body feel similar to experiences on lsd, where i feel tension/power in all muscles.

definately a new entry into the top ten (which is by now a top 20) it reminds me of how i felt after watching the matrix for the first time... where you cant see if its a huge joke itself, and this is the failsafe plan for humanity :D

After watching it again a few weeks ago, I can say now that I pretty much understand most of the whole scope of the plot, and it's a highly interesting one. It's a strange way to present the plot, but it works perfectly after a couple viewings. Some people say that's evidence of a bad film -- that you have to sit through the movie more than once to get it, but I don't think that's necessarily true. People have to look at abstract paintings more than once to find new meanings in them.

i couldn't get past the first 15 minutes, i turned it off.....i had been really looking forward to it for a while...but it didn't happen.

i may try again someday especially after the rave reviews i am seeing in here.

It's not an "easy" movie to watch. I don't think you gave it much of a chance.

darthmom, it supposed to be hard to watch... in fact, i think it's supposed to be hard to understand. it's not until towards the end that you finally realise what is going on, and by then you've missed some of the reallllllly fun parts (namely the water fountain scene, where you can hardly hear what they are saying... on of the best scenes IMO)

arrghh... i gotta sleep in 2 hours and now i'm gonna watch it again, its that fun!

Watch it, then rewatch it, watch it a third time and maybe, just maybe you'll understand it all... personally, i had to cheat and read the wiki to get the whole picture. now that i have i just wanna watch it again and again :D

EDIT: Damn, I love being this arrogant.

Last edited: