Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

SBS forum on party drugs

Carolia

Bluelighter
Insight, the current affairs program on SBS TV, is putting together a forum on party drugs. We will be looking at the issues of harm minimisation versus zero tolerance.

We will also be looking at whether drug taking has moved into the
mainstream.

I want to talk to young people between the ages of 18-30 years old who
may be recreational drug takers and who may be able to talk openly about this. We are also looking for people who can talk about drug culture in raves etc without admitting their own drug taking.

I understand that this is a very difficult subject to talk about, however I want to stress that we are not sensationalist and treat people respectfully. In contacting me, people do not have an obligation to
come on the program; I just want to talk to them and we can go from
there.

The program will be recorded on Monday May 16 in the evening. I can be contacted at [email protected].

Please support this program by volunteering to speak out about these very important issues. Insight is a solid, reputable program and deserves our support. It would be fantastic to have bluelighters who are knowledgeable about the drugs they use and their associated dangers representing the harm reduction argument. Enlighten will be represented by Johnboy, and it will also bring together other key representatives from agencies/organisations. I will update this post at a later date to give more information who is involved and when it airs.

Carolina forgot to mention this will be filmed in Sydney. edit: Please contact her anyway, it may be possible to arrange transportation.

edit: Please keep in mind the BLUA which is cited below, your expressions are that of your your own opinion only and not that of the Bluelight community as a representative. If required JB is the authorised Bluelight media liaison and will be attending. Thanks KemicalBurn for letting me know my original post may have been a little ambiguous.

Rules have been established to protect Bluelight and its members against abuse. Use of Bluelight for any purpose that is unlawful, or in any manner which could impair the operation of this site or any other party's use or enjoyment of this site, is strictly prohibited. Specifically, you may not:

7. act as an official representive of Bluelight to the press;

Last edited:
Would love some access to this over in New Zealand to put towards my dissertation at the end of the year.

Any way I can obtain this? Will an mpeg of this be available onlien at any point?

Cyberdyne said:
Any way I can obtain this? Will an mpeg of this be available onlien at any point?

Seeing as Enlighten will have an official presence there, you might be able to twist their arm to upload a copy. I think theyve done this before in the past.

what the fuck are you all on about? yes it is happening in sydney. but they are flying me, and afaik about 5 other people so far up for the filming. if you seriously want to be on this program then contact them and chances are you can go, no matter where you are based.

i find it extremely disheartening that after years of complaining that the media doesn't give you a voice, the moment you get a chance you immediately find something else to bitch about. jesus.

Her post didn't mention a state at all. SBS is a national broadcaster. Until Mac mentioned it was filmed in Sydney it wasn't an issue. She never stated anything about excluding anyone and probably hadn't occured to her that being based in Sydney would somehow make her less "serious".

It has to be filmed somwhere, and they are flying people in. There is no issue here other than the ones you seem to be imagining.

yes. it was rescheduled because of the election last year.

Originally posted by eccitude
Now there's an opinion worth taking note of -- how childish. Hopefully the producer at Insight won't bother inviting you and your insight to participate.

Ohh well .. by tomorrow BT will have done his Thread Cleaned so all dissenting non-Sydney opinion will have been obliterated.

Firstly, please don't try and opportunistically occupy some kind of moral highground here, we are not trying to be big grown up mature boys who have to let formality get in the way of common sense - ofcourse Cowboy Mac would tell you to shut the fuck up when you are talking shit about Sydney and the rest of Australia and how Insight will be misrepresenting Australia by using a largely Sydney-based sample population - acknowledge that there are practical considerations that need to be made, and that people outside of Sydney don't have 4 brains and 10 pairs of legs and eat super-xtc so that means Insight won't be representing drug culture by being conducted in Sydney. Instead of being petulant and writing about BigTrancer gestapo conspiracies, try and stimulate some serious discussion of what your actual concern is by explaining it properly. (If you are just having a bad day for unrelated reasons, I'm sorry I don't mean to be aggressive, I'll be more understanding).

Until then, understand that Bluelight (as far as I'm concerned) is not a place where we look to have an automatic bitch about anything and everything that comes along to the forum from the outside. So relax and contribute more about your concerns regarding the Insight forum so that anyone in Sydney who might be participating can understand any variations in patterns/trends of party drug use and rave culture across Australia.

If you really think there is a significant difference in the use of party drugs and in rave culture from city to city, find some statistical evidence to back up what you are saying - look to NDARC figures relating to information gathered from studies in multiple cities and see if there really are big differences in the patterns of use of particular drugs.

From what I have gathered, the forum will be giving room for the discussion of how DRUG POLICY is/should be affected by recent trends in party drug use (i.e. expansion of rave culture being one example of increasing social prevalence of illicit drug use). It would not be dominated by discussion of "well when I go raving my friends sniff vicks directly from the tube and take 4 pills" vs "well when I go, we rub vicks on dust masks and plug 2 pills - it empathicasises our experiences", so I don't really think that it is too disastrous that most participants would be from Sydney.

So long as it can be agreed upon that the general trend is an increase in use of party drugs, a good discussion can be generated. And as others have already said on this forum, intelligent representatives speaking on behalf of harm-minimisation are needed if any kind of change in social attitudes toward illicit drugs and government policy is ever going to occur.

A forum like this could be a blow to the Howard government, and many conservative State governments, if those who espouse the tenets of harm-minimisation are willing and able to take advantage of the unique position Australia is in at the moment - a documented and significant increase in party-drug use, little or no evidence of a corresponding increase in associated morbidity+mortality, and a government composed mostly of knobs who spend money on superficial advertisements that attempt to scare rather than realistically educate DESPITE the failure of such campaigns to achieve their goals, as all you Bluelighters here surely know. What better state of affairs to argue for things like pill-testing at events, sponsored GC/MS of illicit tablets etc.?

So, think about participating, and save your diazepam for the big night (hey you KNOW I'm just joking about that.... ;) )

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I really hope that the idea of harm minimisation can reach a larger audience. Mabey some good will come of this a change in govt policy, well we can wish.

What ever federal govt rep they get on there I hope he/she is made to look like a complete fool ala Christopher Pyne on hack.

I'm from perth and I see no problem if the majority of participants are sydney siders. I doubt there is that much difference in drug culture surrounding particular genre's of music.
The only difference I see is that here DnB is more popular than in the eastern states. Perhaps resulting in slightly greater meth use in place of some e use. This is just me speculating though. (not about DnB being popular)

Regardless I'm sure this will be good.

All the best to johnboy representing BL
I hope you stick it up the zero tolerance tools!
Good luck!

I don't think that I could possibly go on this even if I could get to sydney. I can't really step out in front of aus and say yes I use ....
As mentioned in the other thread on this there are too many repercussions. I know that if we don't take a stand we will remain marginalised but I can't afford to lose my job or let my or my partners familys know.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering has the idea behind this filming changed since it's inception a while back? I remember a very similar piece being discussed but never filmed.

Then it's main purpose was to put users, and those who had suffered from use i.e. reformed users and families of those who had passed, in the Insight arena for discussion similar to the debate they had on the direction of catholicism recently.

These programs usually create little in understanding or change and are more centred on inflaming opinions for media sensation.

I applaud all those who go before me onto this, but do not think it will be a "fair hearing". We are among one of the most villified groups in modern culture. It is not easy to preach the H.M. doctrine to those that have seen death.

It is not easy to preach the H.M. doctrine to those that have seen death.

It would be essential for anyone appearing as an advocate of Harm Minimisation to immediately emphasise the fact that EMOTION and passion cannot be allowed to encroach upon logic and science - with all due respect to the families of those who have lost people to illicit drug use, the argument against less oppressive drug policy does not find firm footing in cases where people have died, despite how many tears have been shed and how much the deceased person is missed and what a tragic loss it was indeed.

In fact, I would take things a step further and inquire about the details surrounding the death of someone from drugs, because I think the medical and circumstantial facts behind drug deaths often lend more to the argument for harm minimisation tactics and less to a zero tolerance approach - I mean, in a country that already has a somewhat strict policy toward illicit drugs, the fact that someone went out and even took the drug and died in the first place would serve as a counterargument to zero tolerance promotion.

It would also be apt to bring up other legal things in society that hold no greater purpose over drug use, yet cause their own comparable deaths, injuries and social problems:

eg. motor racing, extreme sports, promiscuous sexual habits and disease transmission, the war on Iraq, rock fishing, voting for the Liberal party etc.

Originally posted by MaDMAn_Project
I applaud all those who go before me onto this, but do not think it will be a "fair hearing". We are among one of the most villified groups in modern culture. It is not easy to preach the H.M. doctrine to those that have seen death.
Drug users are vilified, however we also have respected allies. Harm reduction is well supported and this will no doubt be shown throughout the discussion.

No that is wrong. I wish it was well supported.

If harm reduction was well supported, we would have gcms pill testing, better opiate withdrawal programs and alot better funding...etc With Mr John Howard at the wheel, this country won't progress unless ALOT of people open there mouths.

John Howard hasn't even heard of harm reduction. Its just lately that people are relising that drug use is in the mainstream and not just a raves and clubs.

I envy whoever pursues this Harm Reduction strategy, a lot of time and effort would go into this which would change the lives of future generations to come. People will look back and see it HAS saved lives see that people are FAR more educated and no more misinformation will occur.

Too many people are afraid to speak out. You will most likely get stereotypical drug users who jump at the first chance to be on TV to talk about drugs because they will be mad cunts to their mates.

take no offence to this...just how i see it

yea right , as if i will contribute to some bias fuckn piece of crap called a current affair. All the media deserves to die.

KostoN said:
No that is wrong. I wish it was well supported.
Perhaps I should have made this clearer. It is well supported within the research/drug agency communities, not by the Liberal government. You don't need to tell me zero tolerance rules the roost, Enlighten has been trying to establish a lab testing program for almost five years.

bill joe said:
yea right , as if i will contribute to some bias fuckn piece of crap called a current affair. All the media deserves to die.
Did you read the thread? It is Insight on SBS, and if you had seen the program before you would know it has integrity.

Thanks to Johnboy, Cowboy Mac and all the others who go to represent us on this one, even those of you who knock this would have to agree we are in good hands.

I did have my name down for this last time but can't make this one. Please keep us advised as to when the episode will screen.

Last time they were also looking for someone to be filmed for a complete piece on the everyday life of a party drug user. Are they still asking people who call up about this? Has anyone volunteered?

i think it's great that there's forum available for us to talk about the issue of drug use openly and make people a little more educated about the issues surrounding it...certainly there are many ppl in the community who look at the extremes of drug use and don't realise that many respectable and normal everyday people can use it in their lives responsibly who do not have a drug probem. It's something that the government and society have to accept will always happen and instead of a zero tolerance view, harm minimisation is the way to go, hopefully producing more educated users.

The current ad campaign really doesn't promote harm minimisation...telling people not to do drugs is not going to stop them. We need to realise it a growing culture and it would be more beneficial if these ads didn't focus on the extremes by potraying all users in a bad light. For example, the ad with the young guy in the car who is stoned and runs over a pedestrian. Yes, there are people stupid enough to drive under the influence, but a better campaign would be something where the ads show how to use the drug in a smart and responsible way - ads which recognise that drug use is not going to stop and providing people people with the knowledge so they can use drugs safely. Hopefully this forum on SBS will go down a better avenue and not be as sensationist and extreme.

Anway, enough with my rant!! Would also like to say to Eccitude: have noticed that a lot of your posts have been editted by the moderaters due to flaming bluelighters. I always thought this forum was about putting everyones' opinions across, accepting that these opinions vary. If you disagree with someone, discuss it like an adult and show everyone on this board a little respect instead of flaming them and putting down their opinions. Everyone views are going to vary, that is what promotes healthy discussion.

This is great. Finally some of our favourite bluelight reps will be able to put across to australia the views and opions of our 'banished' society. Hopefully it is another foot in the door for govt sponsored pill testing. I'm assuming that johnboy will be mentioning this quite frequently in any of the discussions. Go Bluelight.

fuck in heaven

is there any chance that when a date is set for it to be aired, we can put it as an "announcement" rather than just a thread? i don't get to check bluelight for new threads every day, and i don't want to miss this program