Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Prozac(fluoxetine) the morning after MDMA

Bluelighter
Hi.

Have read in a few places that having a prozac the morning after having a biccie can help reduce neurotoxicity and generally help you feel better.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what were the results or if someone could point me in the right direction for some info.

Cheers.

SEARCH FUNCTION

From what i understand PROZAC is a SSRI...

SSRI's are not a good combo with MDMA but after ?? i have no idea ?

Try the search function... theres plenty of results waiting there for you :)

SSRI's with MDMA aren't infact a dangerous combo(MOAIs are the ones to watch out for), as far as I know they may just dull the effects a little. I doubt you'll have any problems taking it the morning after.

Yes but '987654' is talking about using prozac in the same way as 5htp, to replenish the amounts of seritonin lost from the night before.

lorenzo_benzo said:
i thought mixing mdma with ssri's can cause serotonin syndrome and can be possibly fatal.
This is an MAOI leading to serotonin sydrome, not an SSRI. Both are types of anti-depressants. I recommend you educate yourself before you start using an SSRI as a postload for neurotoxicity.

This post is from Ecstasy Discussion:
BilZ0r said:
Yes, there are lots of places that reccomend prozac after rolling, but around here, you won't find that reccomendation too often. The idea is based on mis-interpretation of an experiment. Although prozac (and other SSRIs) do protect against MDMA-induced neurotoxicity in animal models, even when given after the MDMA dose, this still doesn't mean you should do it.

For one, there is limited evidence that humans even get neurotoxicity as defined by animal models.
Two, when the SSRI was given 6 hours after MDMA, the protection was only JUST statistically detectable, the big protection was only noted if the SSRI was given in the couple of hours after the MDMA.
Three, it's generally not a good idea to go eating pharmaceutical drugs if you don't need to.

Finally, although SJW is only a very weak MAO inhibitor, it's still not a good idea to mix it, because some people have bad reactions.

Yes. Taking Prozac when you come down from MDMA is a very good idea indeed. At this time the synapses in your brain contain a high concentration of dopamine and a low concentration of serotonin. The serotonin reuptake transporters take up dopamine instead of serotonin, which is subsequently decomposed to hydrogen peroxide. This is what damages your serotonin cells. Prozac effectively plugs the reuptake transporters and prevents dopamine from entering your serotonin brain cells.

Spend some time reading and understanding this excellent description of exactly how MDMA affects your brain and how Prozac can prevent neurotoxicity here

http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/

The Prozac is near the end unfortunately.

Everyone should read and understand this stuff. It's the best explanation I've found anywhere so far.

clop

I agree it (the slideshow) is an excellent article, but it is not proven that prozac will aid in preventing neurotoxicity in humans, and you need to take it at the correct time as bliz0r said. I recommend reading some of his posts in ED, and doing some of your own reading of research papers before taking this as a effective countermeasure.

i think post load of anti-oxidants is probably one of the best things you can do instead of trying SSRI's and such. A berocca straight after you've woken up from a night before of MDMA will dramatically reduce the scatterness you feel and has in my experince reduced the monday-tuesday blues

i also pre load now days and i find i have a much more enjoyable (cleaner) high

clop said:
Yes. Taking Prozac when you come down from MDMA is a very good idea indeed. At this time the synapses in your brain contain a high concentration of dopamine and a low concentration of serotonin. The serotonin reuptake transporters take up dopamine instead of serotonin, which is subsequently decomposed to hydrogen peroxide. This is what damages your serotonin cells. Prozac effectively plugs the reuptake transporters and prevents dopamine from entering your serotonin brain cells.

Spend some time reading and understanding this excellent description of exactly how MDMA affects your brain and how Prozac can prevent neurotoxicity here

Everyone should read and understand this stuff. It's the best explanation I've found anywhere so far.

clop

The slideshow is good, but outdated. The dopamine oxidation theory has fallen into disfavour now. Oxidative stress seems to be quite clearly the method through which damage is caused, but as I said --- the dopamine oxidation theory has fallen into disfavour.

The advice that you should use prozac is based on a flawed interpretation of a study. You're much, much better off taking antioxidants before, during and after the high. Taking prozac afterwards may block some damage, but oxidative stress levels peak during the "peak" of the experience; taking prozac after the event will do nothing to stop damage that occurs during the high.

I reccomend this post-load mix:
150mg of 5-HTP, 1000mg of Vitamin C, 500mg of alpha lipoic acid, 20mg of Vit E and 3mg (~10,000IU) of Vit A. I also reccomend you take that mix, minus the 5-HTP before you drop as well.

clop said:

clop

Wow... very fucking scientific.. the school is still out on what SSRIs actually do, let alone what they do to an MDMA infused mind. Avoid SSRIs unless you need them.. They ARE NOT, I REPEAT, NOT.. to be fucked around with.. There are plently of other alternatives.