Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: Kung Fu Hustle

McLaren

Bluelighter
Film: Kung Fu Hustle

what the hell is this all about!?! i just saw the commercial today. it started out like a serious kung fu movie with lots of outstanding fighting. something straight outta the 70s. then by the end of the commercial, it turned out to be a comedy. as a serious movie, it looked interesting. but as a comedy, it looks quite unusual. but from just what i saw, i am intrigued and want to see it. at least for the entertaining fighting, it looks fun.

has anyone else seen this yet and what are your thoughts?

Be prepared to be entertained by this movie. Director Stephen Chow blends comedy and martial arts like no one else at the moment. He is out there to entertain you with seriousness of martial arts yet with the combination of great humour. An awesome director and very impressive film maker. I havent seen the film but have read great reviews so far.

He is goes over the top sometimes which looks cheesy but isnt as it is deliberate. Cant wait to see this!

Fuckin funny. Even funnier than Shaolin Soccer. With the killing SS made, Stephen Chow has now obviously been given a truck load of money and he uses it!
So many silly movie references. Most of the SS cast return. + a few valuable additions. In particularly Yuen Wah as a hilarious landlord (this husband and wife character team is priceless).

This has been out here since xmas and i've seen it twice. Keeper in my book.

Kung Fu Hustle

I just saw it today and it blew me away! Very relentless from beginning to end. I've grown tired of "Matrix-like" special effects,but they are very welcome here. Besides,the Matrix wouldn't be if it wasn't for movies like this in the first place. This and Sin City are the two best movies I've seen this year. And the common bonds of those two movies are the chances they both take with originallity and the underlining love story. Go see it already.

yeah it was actually pretty enjoyable. i went in thinking it was going to be corny from the trailers but i was pleasantly surprised. if youve seen shaolinn soccer it is similar (same director and some same actors).

I think a lot of the jokes didn't translate too well, but it was still pretty funny. The humor was very slapstick, and some of the CG fight sequences were a little too cartoonish for my tastes (though I suspect that was the point). I enjoyed it, but then again it's hard to fuck a kung fu movie up.

I had three people tell me personally that "Kung Fu Hustle" was one of the best movies they'd seen. I was skeptical, but let a friend drag me off to a showing.

I won't lie, it took me a while to get into the film. The first 45 minutes to an hour was touch-and-go, but after that it was an incredible cinematic experience. The last fight sequence is simply amazing, jaw-dropping stuff, and this in spite of the fact that the CGI effects are clearly evident. A liberal dose of humor and irony helps a lot, though I felt it edged over into corniness a few times. Let it be said that this is a movie that utterly requires you to suspend your disbelief, and to just enjoy the visuals and jokes. If you can do that, I think you'll come out thoroughly WOW!-ed. :D

Definitely worth another visit to the first run theater, IMO.

Shaolin soccer is better

I liked all the gay jokes though. Guys ass always hanging out......I do that everywhere now.

This was absolutely wonderful. I too was expecting it to be completely corny and the beginning was a bit slow but man i'm about to go see it again sunday!

I haven't seen it, but I'll bet the cats that made this really really like the movie "Kung Pow: Enter The Fist." :p

More people need to see this, it's really really good.

Comes out on DVD in August in the states.