Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Survey shows drug, crime link

killarava2day

Ex-Bluelighter
Survey shows drug, crime link
April 23, 2005 - 5:34PM

Almost half of all people detained by police in Australia used drugs immediately before their arrest, a new survey has found.

And 61 per cent of those charged with property offences tested positive to an illicit drug other than cannabis, according to the 2004 annual report of the Drug Use Monitoring in Australia (DUMA) program.

The study, released by Justice Minister Chris Ellison, found 47 per cent of people arrested in seven regions across Australia said they had used drugs before their arrest.

A total of 3,834 detainees were interviewed for the survey during the year, and 82 per cent also provided a urine sample.

The survey was conducted on detainees at seven sites throughout Australia - Adelaide city and Elizabeth in South Australia; Bankstown and Parramatta in NSW; Brisbane city and Southport in Queensland; and East Perth in Western Australia.

The survey also found 71 per cent of detainees obtained illicit drugs in the 30 days before their arrest, and 37 per cent attributed some of their criminal activity to their drug use.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Thirteen per cent of detainees were dependent on alcohol, and 40 per cent on illicit drugs, while one-third had extreme levels of psychological distress.

Detainees classed as drug-dependent, or who had tested positive to methamphetamine or heroin, had the highest number of arrests in the previous year.

Mr Ellison said the results would help the federal government formulate and implement drugs policy.

"If we make progress in the war on drugs, we make great strides in the fight against crime," he said in a statement.

"The DUMA program, now in its fifth year, provides us with vital information on the drugs/crime nexus and also plays a significant role in the identification of changes in local drug markets."

The results of the study had revealed a slight increase in heroin use in parts of western Sydney, Mr Ellison said.

© 2005 AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Survey-shows-drug-crime-link/2005/04/23/1114152359374.html

Mr Ellison said the results would help the federal government formulate and implement drugs policy.

"If we make progress in the war on drugs, we make great strides in the fight against crime," he said in a statement.
Oh yeah of course...

Last edited:
It has been found that 98.53% of people arrested for drink driving had consumed alcohol prior to being illegally in control of a motor vehicle. After being detained in custody for more than 4 hours, 86.9% of detainees were found to be busting to provide a urine sample. 8)

no. shit.

Where the hell do they get all the funding for these useless surveys? I don't get it, are there just millions of psych students that sit around all day gathering pointless statistics with blatantly obvious conclusions in between jerking each other off?

im sure if u did a survey on uni + drugs you'd find a strong link too :D does that mean we should start boycotting unis? haha. agreed, pointless survey.

Personally i can agree with ONE part
"Detainees classed as drug-dependent, or who had tested positive to methamphetamine or heroin, had the highest number of arrests in the previous year."

The whole persona in relation to ecstasy is fucked, because the average member of the public doesn't distinguish it from Meth.

Ecstasy isn't a drug of dependence and I for one would be all for relaxed laws/testing of pills............. if the laws for meth/heroin were doubled, or even trippled.

^^ Not to be too finicky, but ecstasy can produce addiction in a small percent of users. You lose the original effect, but some people have either too much money (or have access to limitless drugs for whatever reason) and just keep on taking pills every day

^^Yep i agree... buts its more like.... WOW that was the time of my life.... lets do that again and again and again and again...... hmmm that was pretty boring..... WOW my head hurts.

its a mental addiction, not physical... that is meth/heroin for example.

People get addicted to throwing their food up, so no doubt someone's going to get addicted to a great feeling that is E.

What irks me is that most of those property offences were probably committed to get the money to buy drugs.

So, Senator Ellison, let me just run through your logic here: "If we stop more drugs coming into the country, low supply dictates that the prices will go up, so people will have to commit more crimes to support their habits". Brilliant!

A bold policy move would be to divert heroin users arrested on break-and-enter charges into controlled prescription heroin trials. But that's unlikely to ever happen.

Thats probably more likely. Its not that drug users are criminals, its criminals that use lots of drugs get caught more often. You think your sneaking into the house nice and quietly when your stoned but how many times does the old lady catch you anyway ;)