Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushrooms Vs Acid

endlesseulogy

Bluelighter
Mushrooms Vs Acid Vs Ego Loss

Many people like to compare mushrooms to acid. However last night i realised that ACID is the most ego driven experience there is. It may give the illusion that its all about ego loss etc etc, however its not. Ill explain why. When your on acid its all about you you you. Fine, we normally see ego driven behaivior as negitive, however acid plunges us in the relms of positive ego driven activity. On acid u think about all that hippie stuff like peace love etc etc, however its still your ego that wants to think that way. Just because its good positive feelings dosnt mean its not ego. Haha.. and the reality is, your ego dosnt exist. Its just a label made up by a somewhat rusty decrepid old pervert named freud. There was no ego before he named it.

Mushrooms on the other hand, are a totally different kettle of fish. Whilst on mushrooms its clear to me that the experience is guided by an outside entitiy. Something other then you. Its like you are possesed - not in a negitive distructive way, by a magical force. This force guides the experience and you have no choice but to go with it. This is more ego loss then the acid experience.

Acid is ego driven .. sure you tune into the universal consciousness. Sure u think about saving the world and helping starving children, but it is still YOUR ego that wants to do all these things. Im not saying acid dosnt have its place, its a great substance and ive had some really interesting experiences on it, but i think to say its about ego loss is a self-delusion.

Im starting to believe any substance synthesised by man stinks of egotism =D

Last edited:
Sorry dude......i wouldn't say that my experiences on acid have been ego-driven........but everyone is different....
I'd say out of everyhting speed or coke are for more ego driven drugs!

^^ I think you are missing my point.. its got nothing to do with ego or non-ego.. its to do with the very definition of ego. Think about it a little harder. Just because you rnt thinking of yourself in a self-indulgent way, dosnt mean its not ego. Helping the poor is still ego. Speed and coke are very ego driven drugs, but in a negitive self-indulgant and negitive way.

You should read some of Stan Grof's books. He has described a range of states induced by LSD, including ego inflation.

I've experienced this on both LSD and psilocybin. Admittedly, psilocybin seems to have more pull towards the classic ego-loss experience, but I think it's more an issue of set and setting.

I think there's often confusion of the use of the term "ego" in this context too. Have a look at this article: ->The Varieties of Egolessness

EGO: For Freud, the ego is "the representative of the outer world to the id" ("Ego and the Id" 708). In other words, the ego represents and enforces the reality-principle...

Definition ego

Take a large enough dose of acid and ego don't come into play at all IMO.

For a previously inexperienced person, my first and only really large dose felt like everything including myself was comprised of energy, pure energy, indistinguishable in form from object to object, person to animal, self to outside world.

I never got this from psilocybin, despite attempting it several times with multiple bowls of mushroom soup and once with a concentrated blue liquid. Despite day and night becoming indistinguishable, I was always completely aware of my being as a separate entity from the world around me.

But others speak differently of their experiences. Most likely it comes back to set and setting. But, IMO dosage with LSD to a certain point does make a difference.

...It is not the ego that disappears, but that the belief in the ego's solidity, the identification with the ego's representations, is abandoned in the realization of egolessness.

That was a good read Flexistentialist
14.gif

I look forward to the day I can really delve into the world of hallucinogenic drugs in safety and comfort. Unfortunately the opportunity has so far eluded me. I have tried lsd however and what you say seems to make sense endlesseulogy.

But isnt not having an ego? still ego?

8(

You should read some Alan Watts or download his talks from the net

He would say that the ego dosnt even exist.. and trying to loose your ego is the biggest ego trip going.

He used LSD several times and accused the hippies of that time as being "ego-maniacs".

He would say the only way to loose your ego is when you come to the conclusion you cant! Because theres nothing to loose in the first place

"Ego is a social institution with no physical reality. The ego is simply your symbol of yourself. Just as the word "water" is a noise that symbolizes a certain liquid without being it, so too the idea of ego symbolizes the role you play, who you are, but it is not the same as your living organism."

By the way guys, i wasnt on acid last night when i realised this. I was on mushrooms.

Last edited:
I dig what your saying endlesseuogy.
I think that for a true ego loss situation mushrooms win hands down to LSD. Maybe this is a little harsh but look for the hallucinogen most likely to make people flip out/panic and you have true ego loss.......

I agree with mongman, I have also found psilocybin much more potent when it comes to inducing ego loss.

I find i trip out and panic more on acid... Mushrooms to me are gentle and kind.. Acid weirds me out sometimes.. thats why im starting to limit my use of it. I know acid is trying to make a point.. but the way it expresses itself to too confusing , chaotic and all over the place... I love it as a substance and agree that there is alot to learn from it.. But if you want loose your "ego", even though there is no such thing, natual plant hallucinogens are the way to go.. This is because they let you look at yourself from the outside.. acid is all about the inner-workings of your mind and its all about YOU.

phase_dancer said:

Take a large enough dose of acid and ego don't come into play at all IMO.

Concur.

I don't know why you're even bothering to compare shrooms and acid.
The only similarity I can think of is that they're both psychedelics.

Oh, and I talk complete codshit when tripping on acid.

^^ your missing the point.. Im arguing over the very existance of the ego in the first place 8)

I prefer mushrooms to acid.

I recently had 5+ grams of dried cubensis......I have never tripped so hard in my life.

I find high dose mushroom trips to be just as immense as LSD, if not , even more so.

Acid lasts far too long at the best of times. When you are still getting visuals at T+10.00hrs and it's 9am the next morning and you just want to sleep......It's not all that pleasant. It really take sit out of my physically as well as mentally. Acid comedowns are very very uncomfortable for me.

Mushrooms, almost perfect duration. Feel more natural (the 'coming home' feeling). Comedown very manageable and at times quite pleasant, conversations become surreal and hilarious for about 5 or 6 hours after. It's a lot smoother and gentle for me. Acid comedowns seem to have a lot of anxiety attached with it.

probably best to get back on to the topic that endlesseulogy was going with...

your missing the point.. Im arguing over the very existance of the ego in the first place

No your not - your stating over and over again that the ego doesn't exist without an explanation and then saying that ur arguing why.

Argueing if ego exists or not? WTF. You must have had some good shrooms to think deep like that. If you want it to exist then it can. If you dont then it wont.

fuck in hevaen

I think people are missing your point because your not arguing it very well.

Have you tripped recently? Try coming back to this thread when your heads a little more clear.

I find that the sensation of myself as an ego inside a bag of skin is really a hallucination. What we really are is, first of all, the whole of our body. And although our bodies are bounded with skin, and we can differentiate between outside and inside, they cannot exist except in a certain kind of natural environment. Obviously a body requires air, and the air must be within a certain temperature range. The body also requires certain kinds of nutrition. So in order to occur the body must be on a mild and nutritive planet with just enough oxygen in the atmosphere spinning regularly around in a harmonious and rhythmical way near a certain kind of warm star.

That arrangement is just as essential to the existence of my body as my heart, my lungs, and my brain. So to describe myself in a scientific way, I must also describe my surroundings, which is a clumsy way getting around to the realization that you are the entire universe. However we do not normally feel that way because we have constructed in thought an abstract idea of our self. (ego, I, seperatness from the rest of our surroundings)

"Underneath the superficial self, which pays attention to this and that, there is another self more really us than I. And the more you become aware of the unknown self -- if you become aware of it -- the more you realize that it is inseparably connected with everything else that is. You are a function of this total galaxy, bounded by the Milky Way, and this galaxy is a function of all other galaxies. You are that vast thing that you see far, far off with great telescopes. You look and look, and one day you are going to wake up and say, "Why, that's me!" And in knowing that, you know that you never die. You are the eternal thing that comes and goes that appears -- now as John Jones, now as Mary Smith, now as Betty Brown -- and so it goes, forever and ever and ever."

But in reality there is no I (ego) it only exists in the relm of mere words. Its a label.. you are everything and everyone in the universe.

"Well," you ask.
"How do I get rid of ego?"

And my answer to that is:
That's the wrong question.

How does one get rid of what?

You can't get rid of your hallucination of being an ego by an activity of the ego.

Sorry, but it can't be done . . .

If you try to get rid of your ego with your ego you will just end up in a vicious circle.

You'd be like somebody who worries because they worry because they worry. "

Last edited: