• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: SMH 21 April. Sad Victims of a vital war.

cheekyvixen

Bluelighter
Miranda Devine always manages to piss me off.... heres the article.

link: http://www.smh.com.au/news/Miranda-Devine/Sad-victims-of-a-vital-war/2005/04/20/1113854259767.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's pity for the Bali Nine, but there's also a need to combat drugs, writes Miranda Devine.

The first response for many people to news that nine Australians had been caught allegedly smuggling heroin out of Bali this week was good riddance. Of the human tragedies brought to our attention each day, their plight rates low on the compassion scale.

But then you see their young, stricken faces on footage from Bali and watch a distraught but dignified couple, interviewed on TV about their "bubbly, gorgeous" but "easily led" son and you can't help but feel sorry for the wasted lives.

"I don't condone it at all," said Stephen Czugaj, whose son Michael, 19, was arrested at the airport in Bali with an alleged 2.4 kilograms of heroin strapped to his body. "Drugs destroy people's lives. We do have a niece who is a heroin addict, so we've seen what it can do," he told Channel Nine.

"He's not a crim, far from it, [just] immature ... naive and stupid," said Michael's mother, Vicki.

A similar story emerged from other parents of the Bali Nine. Most of those arrested at the airport and the Melasti Hotel in Kuta weren't criminals, or heroin users. They appeared to be ordinary people, average age 22, working low-paying jobs.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

In fact, federal police say the Australians were allegedly chosen by drug syndicates as drug-carrying "mules" precisely because they were cleanskins, quiet, not big drinkers or smokers, and hadn't travelled much. Some of the parents have said they didn't even know their child had a passport.

The mules may also have been chosen for their beefy builds, so the strapped-on heroin didn't alter their body shape too much. It is chilling to think that someone set out with such a shopping list of attributes to trap a number of dopey young Australians. You can only hope their plight serves as a deterrent to any other Australians tempted by a free trip to Bali and $15,000.

But sad as it is for the families involved, the arrest of the Bali Nine is a graphic example of the important work Australian Federal Police have been quietly engaged in for the past seven years as part of the Government's much-mocked but hugely successful Tough On Drugs strategy.

It was federal police, investigating a "sophisticated" international drugs syndicate for the past 10 weeks, who tipped off their Indonesian counterparts about the Bali Nine two weeks ago, said the AFP's international network manager, Mike Phelan, yesterday. There could be more arrests this week.

The $1billion Tough on Drugs policy has freed police to do their jobs, after a disastrous experiment with harm minimisation policies in the late '80s and '90s had resulted in a doubling of daily heroin users and an explosion in property crime, particularly in NSW.

There have been record seizures of heroin in recent years, including 125 kilograms from the North Korean cargo vessel Pong Su in 2003.

Last week three more young Australian drug mules, aged 15, 17, and 21, were arrested in Hong Kong, allegedly planning to import $1 million worth of heroin into Sydney in condoms.

In November 2003 two people were arrested and 21 kilograms of heroin seized from a narcotics distribution syndicate operating between Malaysia and Australia.

In August 2003 police found 15 kilograms of heroin in an industrial oven imported into Sydney from China and arrested three people.

Australia's heroin seizure rate increased from 8.5 kilograms per million population in 1995 to 30.4 kilograms in 2000, federal police say. Other drugs, such as amphetamines, which are soaring in popularity, are also being targeted, with a world record $250 million ecstasy seizure in Melbourne this month.

This disruption of heroin imports and the jailing of important drug dealers, as well as a crackdown on drug crime in Cabramatta, once Australia's heroin capital, led to a heroin drought at the end of 2000 which was regarded as unique in the world. "We believe law enforcement efforts have contributed to the heroin drought," says Phelan.

As a direct result, fewer people have died of heroin overdoses and property crime rates have dropped.

The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre last year reported the number of people dying of heroin overdoses in NSW had fallen by 70 per cent between 1999 and 2003, from 481 people dead to 143. That means potentially 338 lives have been saved.

"The credit for the drop in heroin consumption belongs in the first instance to federal customs and the Australian Federal Police," Dr Don Weatherburn, head of the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, acknowledged last year.

Meanwhile, this week, the bureau's figures show rates of property crimes in NSW, such as break and enters, have almost halved since 2001. Weatherburn credits much of the fall to lower heroin use.

The effects in Australia - a heroin drought and falling crime rates - can no longer be denied by the criminologists and commentators who claim law enforcement attempts to control supply are doomed to fail.

Just consider the 11 kilograms of pure heroin the Bali Nine were allegedly attempting to bring into Australia. If they had not been stopped, the amount would have translated to at least 44 kilograms on the street, as it would be diluted with a cutting substance such as paracetamol or lactose to reduce its purity. Addicts in Cabramatta were used to heroin of about 15 to 22 per cent purity, says a former Cabramatta detective-sergeant, Tim Priest.

If each quarter-gram dose of heroin costs $25, then the Bali heroin was worth more than $4 million on the street. If the average addict consumes three doses a day, that means the Bali heroin would have kept the estimated 20,000 addicts in NSW happy for three days.

To continue these back-of-the-envelope calculations, if an average break-and-enter nets $200 to the addict, as Priest estimates from his time arresting burglars, then about 20,000 houses would have to be burgled to pay for the heroin at the centre of the allegations against the Bali Nine. And who knows how many users would have died of an overdose.

The results are in and they show it is only the war on the war on drugs which is doomed to fail. The war on drugs in Australia is working. The Bali Nine are just part of the price.

[email protected]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should merge this in with the other thread on the Bali 9

cheekyvixen said:
as it would be diluted with a cutting substance such as paracetamol or lactose to reduce its purity.
Paracetamol? Where is your evidence for this?

Does anyone know where this Miranda Devine lives? Maybe we can sneak a few hundred good blotters into her water supply :p Then she'll see just how 'necessary' this "tough on drugs" billshit campaign is...

What a joke of an article.

We should feel sorry for these drug mules because they are "naive and stupid". If you are so stupid that you don't realise there are some serious consequences for attempting to import heroin into Australia - esp from an Asian country - then we don't want you in our country anyway.

Other drugs, such as amphetamines, which are soaring in popularity,

In another thread Cowboy Mac suggests that the lack of heroin related crime and overdoses might be due to heroin loosing popularity as club drug popularity increases.

The article pretty much only talks about heroin which most would agree is a problem drug. But the war on drugs covers much more than just heroin - you can't say the war on drugs in necessary soley because of heroin. Thats like me saying that the a War with Irag is necessary because a kid there keeps poking his tongue out at me. This article is actually about a necessary war on heroin - and its not even good at doing that.

Nice Tits

i really love this quote:

"The credit for the drop in heroin consumption belongs in the first instance to federal customs and the Australian Federal Police," Dr Don Weatherburn, head of the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, acknowledged last year.

thats a nice assumption there. there are many reasons for the drop in herion consumption and i think the federal police have little to do with it :p

I have sent this now to Ms Divine

Dear Ms Divine

Just some further back of the paper calculations.

If 20,000 addicts require 10kg of heroin every 3 days let us simply multiple that over a 365 day period

365 days divide by 3 days = 120 days

120 days by 10kg = 1.2 tons of heroin

Can you really congratulate the NSW, Federal Police and other Law enforcement agencies for allowing 1.2 tons of heroin to enter Sydney alone each year. Imagine how much is entering the country in general and you'll find that the policies (and hypocrisy) of the drug warriors are failed solutions.

If you could do one thing today please read http://www.maximizingharm.com/chapter_1.htm - it is a well researched online book which will provide a rebuttal to every single arguments you put forth in your congratulation of a police force who are in reality failing in every respect.

On a personal note I have noticed several reasons as to why heroin would be utilised less since 2001, mainly an over the counter (OTC) painkiller which in tablet form can be split allowing a user to consume pure codeine (less non-active binders) without consuming the NSAID which is attached to these tablets. The use of this OTC is extremely common all over Sydney (and for that matter Australia) and as a direct result use of heroin would decrease in light of the availability and purity (not to mention safety), and cost that this alternative provides.

The other significant factor I believe has lead to a reduction in heroin use is the use of MDMA. A powerful psycho-active substance I have known several people with soul destroying problems (which lead to heroin use) who have successfully used MDMA to rationalise, understand and forgive the root cause of these problems. As a direct result of this substance these people have gone to full-time employment are presently leading happy and productive lives. Without this safe and wonderful substances, which 10's of millions people use each month, these people would most likely be dead, victims of an unforgiving and ignorant society which punishes instead of cures.

I hope this has not been lost on you as it is people like yourself that continue to perpetuate the lie (and fears) that draconian drug laws are the panacea to the problems drugs cause.

Regards

<insert alter-ego name>

Last edited:
^^ nice letter. :)

One error i picked up on though.
"A powerful psycho-active substances I have know several people with "
It should be 'substance' and 'known' I think. Sorry to be nit-picking, but I know I'd want it to be flawless before sending it off.

nah its cool i found a few other grammer and topograhical mistakes - thanks for the spot.

It is the week for anti-drug messages afterall

There appears to be much political power-play at work here.

If this is so...

It was federal police, investigating a "sophisticated" international drugs syndicate for the past 10 weeks, who tipped off their Indonesian counterparts about the Bali Nine two weeks ago, said the AFP's international network manager, Mike Phelan, yesterday. There could be more arrests this week.

...and authorities knew of the operations, then why not wait until the smugglers entered Australia and then bust them? Unless of course those pulling the strings are personally in favour of the death penalty.
31.gif

IMO It all comes down to allowing an additional element to the crime, or collaborating with those who kill people for crimes.

Isn't there something called "the lesser evil"?
30.gif

isn't the real story is that the Fed's want these kids to be interrogated and thus are letting the Indonisans do what they couldn't do if these kids were caught in Australia?

Just like how the american's torture people in egypt to escape the law's and requirements they would normally have to obey.

Re: It is the week for anti-drug messages afterall

Originally posted by phase_dancer
There appears to be much political power-play at work here.

If this is so...

Let's reword that a bit. The AFP monitored the group for 8 weeks while they were in Australia, and notified the Indonesian police of the group at the point when they left Australia and moved into Indonesia.

Indonesian police started surveillance immediately, and were monitoring them for the two weeks that they were in Indonesia (and most probably sharing that information with the AFP).

I see nothing wrong with this.

Let's reword that a bit. The AFP monitored the group for 8 weeks while they were in Australia, and notified the Indonesian police of the group at the point when they left Australia and moved into Indonesia.

Indonesian police started surveillance immediately, and were monitoring them for the two weeks that they were in Indonesia (and most probably sharing that information with the AFP).

It all comes back to who you share information with. I understand the point you're making, but I disagree. If local authorities knew of their plans that far ahead, why not wait until these people have been arrested in Australia before sharing details with Indonesian police?

If it's reasoned that announcing that smugglers have been caught would jeopardize Indonesian intelligence, then surely it could be relayed after arrests but before details are publicly announced in Australia.

Merely my opinion, but I believe we should be putting pressure on these countries to change this inhumane practice of barbaric punishment. We certainly shouldn't feed them victims.

Re: Re: It is the week for anti-drug messages afterall

dimmo said:

I thought one of the prime roles of a police force was crime prevention? If the AFP was monitoring these 8, then why weren't they either prevented from leaving Australia in the first place, or charged with conspiracy to traffic drugs before they left for Indo?

I'm with you chuggs, these are stupid idiot kids that were sent over there with the promise of 10k to smuggle a small amount of heroin back. They have their holiday, spend a few thousand dollars and when the time comes to come home find that its actually a couple of kilos they are expected to bring home.
What can they do? They have no money, they can't pay back the money they have already spent to the scary mofo who set this whole thing up....

Babes, Australian kids, fed to the fucking lions by our government

:(

I think it all comes down to publicity, as p_d has hinted the people responsible for allerting the authorities over there had absolutely no regard for these peoples lives. They simply want to ensure next years budget and there jobs. While making an example of the poor (and somewhat suicidal) "mules" in the operation.

cheekyvixen said:
Miranda Devine always manages to piss me off.... heres the article.

link: http://www.smh.com.au/news/Miranda-Devine/Sad-victims-of-a-vital-war/2005/04/20/1113854259767.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If the average addict consumes three doses a day, that means the Bali heroin would have kept the estimated 20,000 addicts in NSW happy for three days.

To continue these back-of-the-envelope calculations, if an average break-and-enter nets $200 to the addict, as Priest estimates from his time arresting burglars, then about 20,000 houses would have to be burgled to pay for the heroin at the centre of the allegations against the Bali Nine. And who knows how many users would have died of an overdose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WTF
is each and everyone of those 20,000 addicts a criminal?
don;t any of them work and pay for their own jobs the same way this silly bitch pays for pharm prescribed drugs.

and 3 days? at least they admit it was nothing, not much of a bust.

IDIOTS