Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Breaking news: 8 australians busted in bali for 10.9kg heroin

TripsterC

Bluelighter
Australian drug arrests on Bali
From correspondents in Depasar
April 18, 2005

Bust ... five suspects were detained at Denpasar airport / File AT least eight Australians have been arrested in Bali over an alleged 10.9kg heroin haul, Indonesian police and the Australian embassy said today.

Bali's Anti-drug squad director Bambang Sugiarto said the group was in custody after a tip off helped officers break up what he described as a drug syndicate.
He said nine Australians had been detained, but the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) earlier said only eight Australians had been arrested for attempting to smuggle drugs out of Bali.

"We consider them one group working together as a syndicate," Sugiarto said.

He said the police operation had been sparked by a tip off and had netted 10.9kg of heroin.

He said that was the gross weight of the haul. It was not known how pure the drug was.

Drug smuggling attracts the death penalty in Indonesia.

"This is a result of work by our intelligence officers in cooperation with anti-drug officers based at the airport," Sugiarto said.

The police operation ended early this morning.

Advertisement:
Earlier, a DFAT spokeswoman said its information was that eight Australians had been arrested – five at Bali's Denpasar airport and three later at their hotel.

"We're aware that eight Australians – seven males and a female – have been detained for attempting to export a quantity of drugs," the DFAT spokeswoman said.

"The quantity and type of drugs will be determined by chemical analysis."

The DFAT spokeswoman said officers from the Australian consulate in Bali would seek access to the Australians, and would offer them consular assistance.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer will comment on the arrests in Canberra this afternoon.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15005418-2,00.html

Bloody hell, how stupid can you get? Considering all the media around the Corby case, you'd reckon that if you were actually doing something illegal you'd lay low for a while?

Morons...

Why would you even attempt to sumggle drugs out of Indonesia...? 8(

Edit: Opps my mistake... I still think they are f**king morons though but I can't help but feel sorry for their families...

Last edited:
*~bickie~* said:
Why would you even attempt to sumggle drugs into Indonesia...? 8(

eight Australians had been arrested for attempting to smuggle drugs out of Bali.

10.9 kg hey? I wonder what happened to the other 0.1 kg? 8)

Last edited:
I don't know - I can imagine there being a similar controversey over this as the Corby case. I've heard a few rumours about tourists in Indonesia and Thailand getting set up for drug smuggling because the governments there offer rewards for information leading to an arrest. Esp with 10 KG - without a ship i imagine that it would be very hard to smuggle in.

I think there was an interview along a similar vein to this on A Current Affair the other night with someone who was detained in the same jail as Corby.

Nice Tits

"The baggage handlers must've taped it to my body. I SWEAR!"

All i can say is they will be sent home soon in Body bags.... the Bali government will definately make an example of these smackys.......

im glad they got caught... we dont need that shit on our streets...

how fucking stupid could you get.. and why 8 people.. i guess they all wanted to share the money they would of recieved.. If the deal went well..

i don't think the australian goverment would of had anything to do with it, because im sure they are not in a hurry to get any australians shot..

HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE!!!! my god!

Those poor people. One silly mistake and they will pay for it with their lives.

To KILL someone because they broke some man made "law" shows the ignorance of man and also shows how much further we as a species need to evolve in order that we don't extinguish a human life.

There is always other options.

To kill them is a base sub-humane act. It saddens me that this revenge tactic of murder is still sanctioned in many countries.....bloody pathetic.:|

Yes they were stupid but if some of the things i am hearing are true, and it was the Australian forces, federal or otherwise who tipped off the Indonesian police i think it's a pretty despicable act. If proven guilty they will have effectively signed these people's death sentences. Why they couldn't have let them board the plane and then apprehend them at this end is beyond me. Is this part of our new improved relations with the Indonesian government?:\

Sorry, if you're that farkin' stupid to even consider smuggling anything into or out of Bali whilst in the middle of a media circus based on drug smuggling then you deserve everything you get!

IMHO Bali would be doing the gene pool a public service....

Originally posted by Naughtiest_Maximus
i think it's a pretty despicable act

You're right, drug smuggling is a despicable act.

Why they couldn't have let them board the plane and then apprehend them at this end is beyond me.

LOL. Are you serious? Have you ever heard of Australia allowing people to commit crimes on its soil and only have them just leave so the other country and pick up our problems? The crime was committed on Indonesian soil. Indonesia should be responsible... IF it happened here - WE would be responsible.

IF it happened here - WE would be responsible.

Yes we would be responsible as they are citizen's of our country just as these people are citizen's of our counrty. Don't get me wrong, i do think the smuggling of heroin into this country is a terrible act, but i still think letting Australian's face the Indonesian court's with the penalty of death hanging over their heads is too high a price to pay when it could have been avoided.

^ made my previous comments not realising they were arrested in the airport with the stuff strapped to themselves...

Naughtiest_Maximus said:
Yes we would be responsible as they are citizen's of our country just as these people are citizen's of our counrty. Don't get me wrong, i do think the smuggling of heroin into this country is a terrible act, but i still think letting Australian's face the Indonesian court's with the penalty of death hanging over their heads is too high a price to pay when it could have been avoided.

I'm sorry, you seem to be confused.

If Indonesian nationals were known to be smuggling drugs out of Melbourne airport today at 5pm - they would be CAUGHT.. not just allowed to leave to whichever country they want.

ANY person from ANY country who is caught committing a crime in Australia will be punishable under Australian law.

ANY person from ANY country who is caught committing a crime in Indonesia will be punishable under Indonesian law.

You see the pattern?

maybe it was there first time thay wanted to make a quick buck and got busted and will pay with there lives but maybe they have done it heaps of times and know of the risk involved and was willing to take it for a very large compensation

I fully understand that anyone caught committing a crime in a foreign country is to be tried under their judicial system,and i may not seem to be being logical, i know. I guess it all comes down to my hatred of the death penalty.:\

I am against the death penalty as well.

If I were arguing against the death penalty in the United States, such things as these could be brought up:

• For crimes like murder, the recidivism rate for convicted murders is amongst the lowest of all criminals; meaning, they are the least likely to re-offend (burglars have the highest recidivism rate).
  • It can be more expensive to execute someone than to keep them in jail for life (the expensive facilities that death row requires; the extra care they require (suicide watches etc etc); all the extra staff the facilities require) not to mention the costly and numerous appeals that a death row inmate can and does (and has the right to) initiate.
  • These appeals are most costly as they require more investigators and expert testimonies, lawyers specializing in death penalty, more extensive jury selection, a longer and sometimes dual trial process and an increase in the number of legal motions filed.
  • Let's not forget what happens to those who are INNOCENT, and often posthumously pardoned. Actually, the last person to be hanged here in Melbourne was a man name Ronald Ryan. He was later found to be Not Guilty; but once the trapdoor opens.. there is no going back.
  • Here's a couple of figures for you also:
    The average cost of a capital trial in Texas is $2.3 million--three times the cost to incarcerate an individual for 40 years.
    The average cost of a capital trial in Florida is $3.2 million

But, Indonesia isn't America.

The way their legal system is, and the conditions of their prisons, Indonesia truly is better off shooting them rather than paying for them to be imprisoned for the rest of their lives.