• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Any anti-depresents that won't destroy roll?

Jewfolife16

Bluelighter
I love rolling with my girlfriend. Recently her doctor sayd she should be put on an antidepresent. Are there any anti-depresents that wouldn't destroy the roll that she could ask for so she can continue doing it?

Have a look under the 'Health' forum, thers a huge list of interactions between various types of anti-depressants and most drugs that are commonlyh used, including MDMA (of course). But I have to say, if she's being placed on anti-depressants, theres obviously a reason, and using ecstasy will only excacerbate the problem (most likely). Also she probably will be prescrbed an SSRI like prozac, and all SSRI's block the roll . . .

People who need to be on antidepressants shouldn't be taking MDMA in the first place.

But there are "atypical" antidepressants, which should have a minimal effect like mianserin and mirtazapine.

But if I were you, I'd think about your girlfriends long term mental health.

I agree with bilz0r. Taking pills will simply delay or destroy the intended effect of the antidepressant. She needs stability, not wildly fluctuating neurotransmitter levels.

Is it really such a big ask to take a break from pills for a few months?

One of my good friends was put on anti-depressants about 6 months ago. Two months ago he rolled for the first time, and ever sense than, he hasn't been depressed. It's a little more complicated than that, but needless to say, EVERYONE that we rolled with that night worked out emotional problems that we were having.

Jewfolife16: Has your girlfriend rolled before? Sounds like from the above comments there are different ways of finding out how to handle life in a positive way.. Both invole a lot of talking.. and some time..

what about the one off use of an antidepressant the day before rolling, eg 30mg amitriptyline. will this affect my roll?

Taking any reuptake inhibiting antidepressant before a pill will have a significant (negative) impact on the experience.

Antidepressants don't work instantlly. They require months of sustained administration to achieve their full effect; most people don't notice any change for a minimum of 2 weeks.

i took the amitriptyline because of its sedative effects (its a tricyclic). since it requires months of sustained administration to achieve their full effect, does this mean that the 30mg dose i took last night will not affect my roll tonight ?

thanks for the quick relpy

Probably one 30mg dose wont have too much of an effect, because amitrip is excreted quite quickly.

Antidepressants take weeks to work because they induce slow neurophysiological changes, not because they take that long to build up to a significant level

Antidepressants are nasty things.. I think therapy would be much better. Depressions are caused by underlying issues and drugs aren't going to remove those issues.
I take methylphenidate which has a small antidepressing effect due to it's serotonin effect(reuptake inhibition), and my mood varies greatly troughout the day, ranging from great to suicidical..
A high %(don't have link) of people that commit suicide are on anti-depressants. It's just one of those nasty nasty ways that the pharma-industry takes to get their $$ from the average joe(esp. in countries with social insurances).
Has anyone read the recent books that criticize the pharma-industry? It's quite sad really, they knowingly place doses too high, hide critical research information from existing drugs because they wouldn't sell anymore, invent worthless or dangerous drugs to create a need when there isn't one, etc..

^^ The problem with this is that some people's depression simply doesn't respond to talk therapy. People can spend years talkinga bout the problems with a plethora of professionals and still not feel any better for it. Some people simply just need the antidepressants, and there's no denying that.

SeRTy4 said:
One of my good friends was put on anti-depressants about 6 months ago. Two months ago he rolled for the first time, and ever sense than, he hasn't been depressed. It's a little more complicated than that, but needless to say, EVERYONE that we rolled with that night worked out emotional problems that we were having.

Could your friend not be depressed because the anti-depressants are working?

Just a thought.

A general rule that even the least bright people I know, understand is that using drugs to relieve depression will only lead to increased problems because your body adapts, gets used, and dependant on its' effects to drag you trough life - so while it might help at first glance, it's just pushing you deeper into the shit..

Sprinklervibes said:
Antidepressants are nasty things.. I think therapy would be much better. Depressions are caused by underlying issues and drugs aren't going to remove those issues.

I agree. Therapy should be the first line treatment for Depression not drugs but drugs are the cheap option.

Mad Skilz: Yah we've rolled together about 12 times.

We do do it real infrequently like once a month.

Jewfolife16: I was depressed, in general and over what I was going to do as a career (areas of schooling). I found a full-time job that made O.K. money that I enjoyed! I have a nice place that I'm living, money in the pocket to do stuff.. I dunno, it worked for me.. if you can find a job that you like, you will have money to do stuff that you like (weekends out camping and breathing in the fresh air kick ass)

though that sounds like its a nice life it has absolutely nothign to do with anything, the question was is there a way to take antidepresents and still roll, now how can we enjoy life. Thanks though.

sorry about that.. I think i had a moment where I wasn't paying attention to myself..

I'd just like to point out that "being depressed" and having clinical depression are distinctly different things. While the former may lead to the latter, most people get depressed from time to time and don't need to be medicated. The problem with the symptom/response nature of GPs (who are generally the ones presrcibing anti-depressants) is that people who go to the doctor feeling a bit bummed out often have them prescribed.

I'm not saying that there aren't people who genuinely need and respond well to anti-depressants, just that IMO they're vastly overprescribed. However, to the original poster, if your girlfriend is genuinely clinically depressed, to the extent of considering medication, she should definitely not take MDMA. It will make things much worse for her.