Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

friend charged with trafficking..

Technic

Bluelighter
a mate of mine last night was charged with trafficking.. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what will happen to him?
he was caught with around 70 pills all individually bagged up, and around 4 grams of speed.. he doesnt have a criminal record either..
i know no one here will be able to tell me with great accuracy but i was just hoping if someone would be able to give me a rough idea.. ta
he lives in vic also..

not sure if this is the right forum but this would seem to be the place if anyone would be able to help me..

under what circumstances what he caught and charged do you know?

As Mongman says the circumstances are important.

At a stab i'd say fine/suspended sentence with behavior bond, but i'm no lawyer that's just an opinion.

Which reminds me, he needs a lawyer ASAP. The Legal Aid people won't be much help on this one get a professional, the above estimate would be a good outcome, I don't want to think about a bad one. If you need more advice call Fitzroy Legal Advice 94193744. They will try to help.

Please come back and let us know how it all goes.

Good luck

Worst case scenario, he could go to jail for more years than you can count on two hands. But as mentioned, for a first offence with no priors he could possibly also get a suspended sentence and a fine. Getting a top quality lawyer needs to be a major priority right now if he hasn't done so already, because it could mean the difference between a just a hard slap or having his life basically ruined.

GET A LAWYER. The best he can get. I don't care if he's in debt for the next 20 years, he needs to get the best darn lawyer he can find.

As Pleonastic said, it could go two ways...lots of jail time, or a suspended sentence. A good lawyer will be all the difference.

He should also consider enrolling himself in a drug counselling course or similar, before the court order - helps prove he's proactive in fixing his mistakes.

Then pray he gets a good judge. My friend got done with not much more, but copped the 'worst' judge in the roster apparently.

3 years later he's finally out.

Yeah, I know a guy who done 12 months for a very similar amount, using free legal aid only...(althougj, he may have had priors??)

He reckons the penalities are even harsher now than when he got sentenced, like everyone else has said, "Better get yourself a good Lawyer, Son"

Bent said:
GET A LAWYER. The best he can get. I don't care if he's in debt for the next 20 years, he needs to get the best darn lawyer he can find.

As Pleonastic said, it could go two ways...lots of jail time, or a suspended sentence. A good lawyer will be all the difference.

He should also consider enrolling himself in a drug counselling course or similar, before the court order - helps prove he's proactive in fixing his mistakes.

Then pray he gets a good judge. My friend got done with not much more, but copped the 'worst' judge in the roster apparently.

3 years later he's finally out.

Listen to Bent, enrol in a drug counselling course asap.
Someone I know in a similar situation did this, had a lawyer and got a suspended sentence, they report to the police every monday for a drug test.

takeAIM said:
Someone I know in a similar situation did this, had a lawyer and got a suspended sentence, they report to the police every monday for a drug test.

Someone you knew was caught with a similar amount (70) in different baggies and got a suspended sentence? I find that very difficult to believe sorry.

Trafficing/supply are extremely difficult to fight, and the fact they were in different baggies shows clear intent.

An ex-smalltime-dealer I know was caught with 40 in one bag at his house and is STILL going through the court system 18 months later. The cops keep stuffing up technical aspects of the prosecution and keep representing - that's how keen they are to take it all the way.

The advice from his lawyers is that he WILL do time, and WILL lose all his assets unless there are more technical stuffups when it finally makes its way to the full hearing and then gets thrown out completely by the magistrate.

IN WA he would very likely get a prison term - probably in the order of 2 years.

Good lawyer is mandatory who will advise him on what to do. Obviously if there is no way of taking it to trial, and in these cases the "caught red-handed aspect" generally applies, a plea of guilty at the earliest possible opportunity is important. Contrition, positive references, a good reason for dealing drugs rather than greed, taking positive initatives to "turn one's life around prior to sentence" and some exceptional circumstances may spare him prison. Clean record and his youth certainly makes suspending the sentence open, but the 70 pills in separate bags (why oh why did he do this) and having methylamphetamine involved as well as just MDMA, is more damning than one big bag of 70 pills. He has now lost the ability to claim many of those pills were for his own use.

thanks for the advice guys, ill pass it on to him asap.

he was sitting in a car with some mates in a car park then a sniffer dog came along and detected drugs on him.. they searched everyone in the car, then took him down to the police station and interviewed him and then charged him with trafficking.. all this happening on his 25th bday =/ he cooperated with the police with everything but i doubt even that will have much of an effect on the outcome ..

eccitude said:
Someone you knew was caught with a similar amount (70) in different baggies and got a suspended sentence? I find that very difficult to believe sorry.

I understand what you're saying, and also know of others that received a harsher sentence with an arguably lesser crime.
Yes it was a similar quantity, packed together, whether that made a difference I dont know.
It was just over a year ago.

There are other conditions, however my point being, there was no imprisonment.

Technic, i think it's not only I that would like to know the outcome, so keep us updated.

On the the other side of the spectrum - My friends dealer was caught with a slightly smaller number of pills and a wad of cash three times in three weeks (I don't know the specifics of how he was caught). Each time he got in trouble he was given a fine and thats it. This was in Brisbane.....

nice tits - i know of a very similar situation to someone in Bris.
All he got was a fine and his pills confiscated twice in about a ten day period.
im sure the cops ate or sold his pills, dodgy.

A friend of mine was caught with 9g of K, 18 tabs of acid and a number of other things. The case was thrown out because the police botched the process. He was a very, very lucky man...

But definetly he should make it look like you are "doing the good conservative thing". Its not what you think... but what you convince the judge of and what he thinks.

Get a good lawer a good job and make his life seem a whole lot better than it was when he was making an ilegal income..

and spend thousands on legal help!

reading all this.. makes you realise of some of the real life consaquenses that we face with the things we deal with..

scary stuff!
in WA you can kiss goodbye to evreything you own.. they take you're house and all!

does n e opne know what the trafficky quantity of pillz is in Australia or tassie or where i can find out this info

Technic said:
he was sitting in a car with some mates in a car park then a sniffer dog came along and detected drugs on him.. they searched everyone in the car, then took him down to the police station and interviewed him and then charged him with trafficking.. all this happening on his 25th bday =/ he cooperated with the police with everything but i doubt even that will have much of an effect on the outcome ..

You say this was sniffer dogs in a car park in Victoria? I've heard similar things. Can you tell us which car park and what day of the week and time this happened?

I think the moral of the story is... LET SOMEONE ELSE DO THE DRUG DEALING. Don't do that shit, no way is it worth it. Just DON'T. And if you've got a mate who deals, and if he's truly your mate, you will tell him in no uncertain terms that he is making a big fucking mistake. Its his choice in the end, obviously. But its your responsibility to tell him unequivocally that he has made the WRONG DECISION, whether he believes it or not. Cheap pills and easy access to drugs is not worth risking the freedom and life of a person you love. Its a temptation. but you really have to step back and see that its bad bad news.

A mate of mine got done with a similar number of individually bagged pills and got a 6 month suspended sentence for two years (ie. if they get him again in that two years he goes to gaol for 6 months)