• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 13 Apr 05: Club-goers drive after drink, drugs

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
NEWS: The Age

Club-goers drive after drink, drugs
By Carol Nader
April 13, 2005

Melbourne nightclubbers have owned up to driving under the influence of illicit drugs.

A new report shows that more than half got behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or cannabis and more than 40 per cent after taking ecstasy or speed.

They also are putting their lives in the hands of their drug-taking friends, with most allowing themselves to be driven by someone under the influence of alcohol, cannabis or illicit drugs.

The roadside drug testing introduced by the State Government is likely to deter drug takers, the report says. About 40 per cent of those surveyed said knowing about the drug tests would alter their behaviour.

The study, commissioned by VicRoads, comes days before the Government is expected to release results of its road drug test trial, which began late last year.

The research, by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, shows that 57 per cent of clubbers admitted driving under the influence of alcohol and 52 per cent under the influence of cannabis. Just under half of those surveyed admitted driving soon after taking other drugs - 43 per cent said they had taken ecstasy and 42 per cent speed.

A co-author of the report, Paul Dillon, said the Government's experiment was likely to be effective in reducing the incidence of drug-takers driving. "As far as clubbers go, it looks as though it would have a deterrent effect," he said.

A spokesman for Police Minister Tim Holding warned that nightclubbers who took drugs and drove were exactly those being targeted by the drug test program. "The message to those who try to run the gauntlet by taking drugs and driving is clear. Police have been given the resources and the powers to enforce road safety and put an end to the carnage on our roads," he said. "If you take drugs and drive you will be caught."

More than 270 people were surveyed at Melbourne nightclubs between April and July last year - before drug-testing was introduced but after it was announced. A third surveyed said they had driven to the venue and would drive home that night.

The survey found some ignorance about roadside testing. Of those who indicated it would influence their behaviour, 10 per cent said they would wait two to three hours after taking drugs before driving - even though it would take much longer for the drugs to leave their system.

Turning Point Drug and Alcohol Centre research fellow Jen Johnston said the report pointed to a lack of late-night transport services - only 3 per cent of those surveyed said they would catch public transport home.

"There needs to be improved public transport to and from the city and other venues where these events are taking place to take away the necessity for anyone to drive," she said.

Mr Dillon said drug-takers were already a group of high-risk takers, and many assumed drugs did not have a harmful effect on driving.

"I think what this shows is we've done a very good job of educating people about the risks of alcohol; they may still do it but they know it's risky; but when it comes to other drugs, many of them actually didn't think it was going to have an effect," he said.

From: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...ter-drink-drugs/2005/04/12/1113251628887.html

BigTrancer :)

"There needs to be improved public transport to and from the city and other venues where these events are taking place to take away the necessity for anyone to drive," she said.
I was actually going to just post the exact same thought as this. I think a large problem is the hours at which people leave the clubs and the lack/hassle of Public Transport.

Plus catching a taxi home can be a costly exercise. Not too many of my uni student group of friends have $50 left after a night out to easily catch a taxi home. There is no public transport at all after about 11 in my town. Thank god a live within walking distance of all the major clubs.

The thing is it can be a loose loose situation, yeah it's great in theory to catch public transport to and from but then you run the risk of a dog sniffing a pill or joint in your pocket for trying to do the right thing.

The study, commissioned by VicRoads, comes days before the Government is expected to release results of its road drug test trial, which began late last year.

I'm sure we're all eagerly awaiting these results.

With the sunset clause for the legislation only a couple of months away, expect to see police go on the offensive; PR wise over the next few weeks trying to convince Victorians that the events of the first week of testing were but an aberration and that the results recorded since should support the argument for making saliva testing a permanent part of Victoria's road safety strategy.

A new report shows that more than half got behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or cannabis and more than 40 per cent after taking ecstasy or speed.

What i hate about this "surveys" is when they lump Cannabis with Alcohol. How hard is it to qoute the seperate stats for either drug. Practically the entire population drink as opposed to 1/3 who smoke. Thus a high porportion of people would drink and drive as opposed to smoke and drive. Thus this stat is skwed so badly that it gives the read the idea that heaps of people smoke and drive.

fcuking_in_heaven said:
Plus catching a taxi home can be a costly exercise. Not too many of my uni student group of friends have $50 left after a night out to easily catch a taxi home. There is no public transport at all after about 11 in my town. Thank god a live within walking distance of all the major clubs.

Out of curiosity, how much $$$ on the rest of the night out did they spend? $$$ on pills, $$ on entry, $4 on water they kept refilling?

IMHO I think that if you can't afford to cab it (and PT ain't an option) then you can't afford a night out on the drugs or booze. I don't want to get wiped out on the road because someone was short a few bucks for a cab and thought he or she was right to drive.

On the Far North Coast NSW the police will raid an illegal party, shut it down and then threaten people with prosecution if they do not move on. Forcing people to jump in their cars and drive off in a very compromised state. Many who would hang around at the end of the party and wait to straighten up are forced to drive off.

^You can call a taxi in that situation. I'm not sure why people participate in these surveys it just gives the govt more information about how to catch us. Statistics like that would definately encourage them to implement more drug / alcohol testin.

Next article in the series in today's Herald Sun.

Hopefully we can expect to see the government's results soon.

Truckies elude drug bus
Jeremy Kelly
14 Apr 2005

SOME long-distance truckies are using CB radios to dodge Victoria's drug-driving tests.

They pull over at rest stops along highways after being alerted to the new police drug bus.

The Transport Workers Union said some drivers would be trying to outsmart the system, and that the tests were nabbing one in every 60 truck drivers.

As when avoiding speed cameras and highway patrol cars, truckies use their radios to alert other drivers when the drug bus is in the area.

A police source said it was like playing musical chairs as truckies pulled over to rest when the bus hit a large highway.

Once a radio alert was heard, truck drivers would settle at rest stops. Police are reluctant to test them, fearing the charge would not stick.

"If people are heeding the warnings and staying off the roads because they are drug-affected, then we have achieved our outcome," a police spokeswoman said.

She refused to release the latest figures on the drug-driving trial.

But TWU state secretary Bill Noonan said he was told last week that of the 965 truck drivers tested since the trial began, there had been 16 positive results.

He said it was a similar rate to car drivers.

Mr Noonan said he would not be surprised if the CB radio system was being abused by some drivers.

"I am certain from time to time some drivers might seek to beat the system," Mr Noonan said.

"But rest stops will only hold so many trucks."

Mr Noonan dismissed interstate reports that 90 per cent of truck drivers were on drugs and said the results of the tests proved this.

The drug-testing trial is said to otherwise be progressing well, with at least one driver telling police "You've got me", before the test was even administered.

The year-long trial of the world-first testing started embarrassingly in December with the first "positive" subsequently proving false.

The driver was cleared when the sample was tested later at the police lab.

Herald Sun/News.com.au

Drug-testing "here to stay"
By Selma Milovanovic and Rachel Kleinman
April 15, 2005 - 12:53PM

Roadside drug-testing for motorists was here to stay, despite ongoing fine-tuning of test technology, Police Minister Tim Holding said today.

Mr Holding released data today showing three times more Victorians drive under the influence of drugs than alcohol.

"There can be no mistake that driving under the influence of illicit drugs is just as dangerous as driving while affected by alcohol and is a major contributor to death and trauma on Victoria's roads," he told reporters at Dandenong police station in Melbourne's outer south-east.

Drug use by drivers would not be tolerated, he said.

He said while the drug testing program was still being evaluated, roadside drug testing was here to stay.

The State Government figures show that out of 4619 drivers pulled over, one in 73 tested positive to either cannabis or methamphetamines. This compared to an average of one in 250 drivers testing positive for alcohol. The results surprised police.

Assistant Commissioner of Traffic, Bob Hastings, said that although there had been a significant police presence at rave parties, the drug use had been detected among drivers pulled over at random.

Drivers who return positive laboratory results for cannabis or methamphetamines are fined $307 and lose three demerit points, or are prosecuted in court.

If the offence goes to court, maximum penalties for a first offence are $614 and three months' licence cancellation. Subsequent convictions carry fines of up to $1227, and up to 6 months' licence cancellation.

The 12-month drug-driving trial was introduced in mid-December but courted controversy when two motorists who tested positive at the roadside were later cleared by lab tests.

But Opposition police spokesman Kim Wells has said that the punishments are not heavy enough and drug-drivers should immediately loses their licences.

Today's results come just two days after research by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre showed 57 per cent of clubbers admitted driving under the influence of alcohol and 52 per cent under the influence of cannabis. The VicRoads-commissioned study reported that just under half of those surveyed admitted driving soon after taking other drugs.

Forty-three per cent said they had taken ecstasy and 42 per cent speed.

The Age

"If people are heeding the warnings and staying off the roads because they are drug-affected, then we have achieved our outcome," a police spokeswoman said.

So there should be no concern at any company choosing to supply Drug-wipe or similar tests to the public then should there?

phase_dancer said:
So there should be no concern at any company choosing to supply Drug-wipe or similar tests to the public then should there?

Yes it would appear that there are two sets of values at play. Governments talk about harm reduction with regards to legal drugs; i.e. alcohol; embracing the idea of introducing breathalysers into licensed venues etc. to reduce harm from problematic alcohol use.

Effectively giving individuals a choice of 'Doing the Right Thing' prior to jumping into a vehicle.

On the other hand a reluctance to explore similar measures with other drugs.

I agree phase_dancer, there should not be any concerns with regards to the supply of appropriate drug tests kits etc. to reduce harm. Give people the choice, to think about their decisions.

Prior to leaving a pub, if I have the opportunity to blow in a bag and know that i'm fine jumping into a vehicle, that's great. Give me the same opportunity to do the right thing with other drugs. Allow the marketing and cheap availability of accurate testing measures to the public at large.

Harm reduction across all aspects of drug use.