Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

GHB availability and info. on butryolactone scheduling

comf0rtably numb

Bluelighter
It seems that many people around my area have neither heard of, nor tried gamma hydroxybutyrate (ghb) or it's analogues and i'm wondering why. A friend of mine recently said his dealer had some and I was really excited because I had read about it, and thought that it might finally be my time to try some. Anyway, for one reason or another it fell through.

Having done some research i concluded that with a simple refluxing apparatus, some reagent grade sodium hydroxide and gamma butryolactone, it would be relatively easy to produce GHB. In fact, the simplicity of it was striking - anyone with a very basic knowledge of chemisty and a synthesis guide should be able to carry out the procedure for the most part. Why then, if it's such a great drug, and it's so easy and cheap to produce, is it so scarce? I mean, nearly everyone on bluelight who has tried it seems to speak nothing but praise for it, and yet I can't say that i've found a dealer that stocks it.

In addition, the precursors, sodium hydroxide and gamma butryolactone are both relatively easy to obtain. Or are they? Well sodium hydroxide definately is, in fact, it's a commonly used base and would not be hard to order lab grade NaOH off the internet. As for gamma butryolactone, Im not so sure. I know that it is often used as an electrolyte in cells, but i'm not sure about the scheduling of it in Australia. Does anyone know? This could perhaps be the key to the scarcity of it.

On the otherhand, perhaps i'm just not looking in the right places? If you've tried ghb and know it's around, post up. I'm not asking for sources, i'm just interested to know whether it's just my area and friends who have never come into any real contact with ghb, or whether it's just not really a drug-at-large following the date-rape incidents and the steep dosage/response curve (and therefore greater danger then some other substances).

It really is quite perplexing. I mean, i'm quite sure that it is a drug that would appeal to many - supposedly feeling somewhere between ecstacy and alcohol (i.e a more euphoric drunken feeling). In addition, i'm pretty sure the precursors are cheap and easy to obtain and it's quite a simple procedure to synthesise ghb. Why then is it so scarce?

Cheers in advance for any insight into the matter.
Peace

-DISCLAIMER-
I have no interest in synthesising this compound nor would I even try the procedure myself.

Last edited:
the conversion of GBL to Na-GHB (using sodium hydroxide) IS very simple... no refluxing equipment needed. the problem these days is that GBL, Na-GHB and 1,4-butanediol (& all of their analouges) are now ALL scheduled.

Almost all overseas suppliers have been shut down and it has become almost impossible to source it anywhere.

Beware when people say they can get GHB/GBL... most of the time it is really 1,4b... in the last 2 or so years, all reports of 'Real G' that i have heard of have been 1,4b.

Good luck in your search,

M

Maxi said:
the conversion of GBL to Na-GHB (using sodium hydroxide) IS very simple... no refluxing equipment needed. the problem these days is that GBL, Na-GHB and 1,4-butanediol (& all of their analouges) are now ALL scheduled.

Almost all overseas suppliers have been shut down and it has become almost impossible to source it anywhere.

Beware when people say they can get GHB/GBL... most of the time it is really 1,4b... in the last 2 or so years, all reports of 'Real G' that i have heard of have been 1,4b.

Good luck in your search,

M

Hmm, really? From what i've read there seemed to be a consensus that you had to reluxe so as to boil off the remaining water without losing any of the volatile gbl/ghb.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried both ghb and 1,4 butanediol? Are the effects as similar as they're made out to be? Or is 1,4b just a poor substitute for the real thing?

Thanks for the info, as disheartening as it is. Alas, the search continues.

1,4b and GHB both lead to the same product in the body and pretty much exactly the same effect. All are illegal. I think there was an FAQ you can read.

Munchee said:
1,4b and GHB both lead to the same product in the body and pretty much exactly the same effect. All are illegal. I think there was an FAQ you can read.

Yes I realise that 1,4b is converted into ghb into the liver but from the way Maxi depicted the current GHB/1,4b situation, I inferred that the 1,4b wasnt as good. I mean, if it really is the same, why would it matter whether you got ghb, gbl or 1,4b? And yeah, i've read the FAQ. If it had answered my questions, I wouldnt have made this post ;) Thanks anyway

I won't pretend to understand even half of your post ;) ... but are you asking for sources? If so, that's not allowed in this forum. No sources for anything, even legal drug-related paraphenalia/precursors.

1. DON'T solicit the sale of prohibited substances online. This means no dealing. Bluelight is an information resource, not a place to get or sell drugs. An extension to this guideline is that we don't allow sources for anything to be posted. This means no URLs for online supply, no listing of sources to buy or obtain ANYTHING.

From the guidelines:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?threadid=55467

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
I won't pretend to understand even half of your post ;) ... but are you asking for sources? If so, that's not allowed in this forum. No sources for anything, even legal drug-related paraphenalia/precursors.

1. DON'T solicit the sale of prohibited substances online. This means no dealing. Bluelight is an information resource, not a place to get or sell drugs. An extension to this guideline is that we don't allow sources for anything to be posted. This means no URLs for online supply, no listing of sources to buy or obtain ANYTHING.

From the guidelines:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?threadid=55467

It's ok, I wasn't asking for sources - I was more wondering about the availability of ghb. I.e whether i'm just in a small, cloistered community devoid of ghb or whether ghb availability or lack thereof is something of a more universal problem. It would seem that it is the latter. Basically if it was the former, I was just going to go out and continue searching but with the information at-hand, I probably wont bother.

And of course I would never dream of breaking the guidelines 8o

edit: I'll reword my original questions to make this more explicit and comply with the guidelines. Peace

I'd have to say G is harder to come by than other illicit drugs. I guess its just another matter of who you know. I wouldn't say its mega hard to come by but it can be tricky to obtain due to the somewhat bad reputation it has with many non g users. Its not all that uncommon to hear a dealer say "I do pills, whizz, coke but I don't go anywhere near G". A lot of people have a problem with G due to the overdoses in recent times. If your dealer is a raver or has a penchant for phat pants then chances are he won't deal G.

Beech out

Munchee said:
1,4b and GHB both lead to the same product in the body and pretty much exactly the same effect. All are illegal.
Really? Is 1,4b illegal?

I managed to buy a litre of 99.9% pure about 3 years ago off the internet, and i'm fairly sure it was legal then.

Shame that's all gone now. :(

1,4 Butandiol is listed as a category 1 chemical on the

Chemical Diversion Code of Practice

This means that only an account holder can purchase it, and they must also sign an End User Declaration.

In other words, the cops or relevant investigation body will be notified of any and all purchases

^ I'd say your chances of obtaining 1,4-butanediol online without it being delivered by the police would be practically zero these days, particularly since the NZ 1,4-butanediol raids/incidents.

Availability of any drug is definitely all about who you know - if you know a "G dealer" then you can get it, if you don't then you can't. Simple.

PS: If it was me, I would definitely not advertise online my intention to synthesize illegal drugs, if I was serious about carrying it through to completion. There is no surer way to get yourself raided.

The differences between 1,4-butanediol and gamma hydroxy butyrate are documented all through this website. Since GBL is virtually unobtainable for most people, they usually purchase 1,4-butanediol and sell that as "G" which has similar physical and mental effects, but tastes vastly different.

BigTrancer :)

From reading posts on other sites, I'm led to believe more people are synthesizing GHB from a starting material obtained from health shops. However, there still seems to be some doubt as to the purity obtainable via this route.

If you wish to know more, search elsewhere, but please do not ask here, nor PM me for any details. As BT said, this is not the place to discuss syntheses in this context, nor is it wise to advertise any such intent.

I suspect large amounts of 1,4 B were secured by users/suppliers before it was re-scheduled Cat #1 in the above linked code of practice. If so, as these supplies run out, it's very likely more will turn to other methods to make GBL or GHB, and where dodgy procedures may very well mean there are extra health concerns for users.