PDA

View Full Version : Film: Battle Royale

Pages : [1] 2

Tech Kinetics
28-01-2004, 20:28
Has anyone seen this movie ???

I heard that it was a popular cartoon in japan that became the inspiration for the movie.

For those that have seen it, do you know if it matches the Japanimation characters precisely???

Daimo
30-01-2004, 08:32
I have managed to procure a copy, haven't watched it yet, but everyone who I know who has seen it has said it is really good. The only person who I know who has seen the sequel said "don't bother" even tho reviews on IMDB said the sequel was ok....

Will post my thoughts once I have watched it - hopefully this weekend!

Trippies
30-01-2004, 13:26
lol its by no means 'good' but its a hell of a lot of fun to watch :) if you dunno the story its about a bunch of high school kids that are being taught a lesson by their teachers by drugging them, putting death collars on them and putting them on an island where they have 3 days to kill each other and at the end of the three days if anyone was alive everyone does, so they are forced to kill each other heheh ok not the best storyline i guess but its still a fun movie

Adikkal
01-02-2004, 07:17
I thought it was a really good movie. I mean yeah, plot wise its not amazing but i think the way they explore the different relationships is done well. I enjoyed the movie :)

Adikkal

LapDawg
01-02-2004, 12:10
The film is based on a book.

02-02-2004, 04:21
i thought it was purty cool

Daimo
04-02-2004, 07:44
I didn't get to watch it on the weekend for various reasons, will soon tho!

Pander Bear
09-07-2004, 11:47
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

Ok, just saw this tonight, and bluelight is back up, so I'll post about it since there have been only brief mentions of it in the past.

This movie is fucking tight, despite my distaste for most asian cinema. 42 middle school kids get knocked out, dropped off on a deserted island, and are forced to kill eachother off. The last survivor gets to walk away. Beautifully shot, interesting characters, even though its fast-paced and subtitled. It definately gets my "ohmygoddoodyouhaven'tseenthis?" award.

My only beef is the total absence of girl on girl shaved nookie, the shoddy exposition, and resolution. Other than that, fantastic. This is one DVD I'll be ripping.

LapDawg
09-07-2004, 12:29
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?threadid=119318&highlight=Battle+Royale

Shuba
09-07-2004, 12:55
The acting and characterisation was atrocious. The plot was an afterthought. The attempts at philosophising were hysterically bad. But I loved it

40 good looking japanese kids slaughtering each other on a deserted island with all sorts of cool weaponry. What's not to love?

Pander Bear
09-07-2004, 20:26
doh, merge if you guys like, that didnt come up in my search.

Yes, its tomorrow, and I still like BR alot.

dyscotopia
09-07-2004, 20:29
it's kind of an over-the-top rip-off of lord of the flies in a way, isn't it? very stylish and compelling, but it definitely thinks it's a lot deeper than it really is.

Pander Bear
10-07-2004, 03:22
lord of the flies was so trite to me, definately a book that only lives on for the purposes of high school reading lists.

BR took the interesting concept, added some bizarre elements (like why the hell there exists such a thing as battle royale), and made me more interested in the characters. I was more interested what what some japanese guys whose name i cant remember was up to than I was with anybody in lord of the flys, book or movie.

PlurredChemistry
10-07-2004, 05:04
argh - i've been trying to get a hold of this for years...but i haven't been looking too seriously.

must get a hold of it!

Pander Bear
10-07-2004, 07:43
Amazon.com could ship battle royale to you (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Y7L4/qid=1089434384/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0684541-8743838?v=glance&s=dvd)

Pander Bear
10-07-2004, 07:48
Originally posted by dyscotopia
it's kind of an over-the-top rip-off of lord of the flies in a way, isn't it? very stylish and compelling, but it definitely thinks it's a lot deeper than it really is.

Not really. Lord of the flies divided people into two camps, brutes and democrats. The brutes were ultimately driven by Satan, and the conch shell kids were driven by the western DeFoe style "civilizing force". Set on the backdrop of a larger war of adults, lord of the flies was pretty much a morality play for the 20th century.

BR, on the other hand, has a more postmodern bend to it. The evil force, rather than a direct adversary, is nonexistant. BR places people at eachothers throats by way of a random lottery. There are more than two character sets, there are those who kill willingly for survival, those who kill for pleasure, those who refuse to fight in order to civilize the island, those who refuse to fight in order to end the game. It really a better look at a world where the lines between good and evil, and the lines between friend and foe aren't so clear; you know, the way they are in the real world.

Evad
10-07-2004, 22:33
I think it was a nicely shot and very entertaining film. Some of the dialogue was plain awful, which although may just to be to do with translation, seem to have elements of black comedy in them.

Has anybody seen the sequel? It's really not a patch on the first, the director of the original, Kinji Fukasaku, died very early into the shoot and the duty was taken up by his son? Kenta. Fans of the first should still check it out but don't expect to be anything but dissapointed.

mariacallas
11-07-2004, 17:43
OMGOMGOMG I Just totally skipped everything written here (in case there is a spoiler) because my brother just lent me his DVD right now! YAY!!!!

dark_stars
14-07-2004, 05:09
Damn unruly Japanese teenagers. It's about time we pass a law like that. j/k But seriously, this movie kicks ass.

mitz-e
06-12-2004, 06:52
Who's seen this? Its great! I felt it when one got stabbed in the balls! The girl that tells them the rules in the video is funny as fuck but also a fox!

For anyone that hasn't seen it they take a class of school kids and put them on an island and the last one alive within 3 days wins. I reccomend it to everyone but its hard to remember who's who, not that it really matters, because all japanese and chinese people look the same! :p

silvia saint
06-12-2004, 10:55
a lot of overacting for a japanese film ;) seriously though, it's really cool. i'm with those who say the sequel sux, it really does.

incident
07-12-2004, 04:28
The beggining was quite intriguing and it just went downhill from there, overall a pretty damn good movie though. Especially when the guy was describing the game to all the kids, and one of the kids talks back and gets the knife in his face or whatever the fuck happened, lol - classic hardcore shit

Fried Man
07-12-2004, 05:28
I liked all the teenage high school drama . . . . . .

fun movie

FuncrusherPlus
10-12-2004, 16:12
Don't forget they give them random weapons. So one kid will get a sub-machine gun and another got a pot-lid as a weapon.

LinZ-E
12-12-2004, 08:42
I liked it... quite entertaining, but don't expect a masterpeice.

Just bought Battle Royale II for my boyfriend for Christmas...It's difficult to not open it and watch...
argh.

onetwothreefour
12-12-2004, 17:08
it's not amazing, but it's technically competent, and very very interesting to watch. probably could have had a little more depth psychologically, but it wasn't a hollywood-style cop-out either.

and like others have said - it's HELLA fun to watch =D

Jewfolife16
30-03-2005, 23:48
Wow, so I just watched an excelent Japanese film called Battle Royale. It's a movie that wasn't ever released in the states due to it's graphic nature and the fact that it uses 15 year olds to portray the graphic nature. This movie is just ridiuclous. The plot is that Japan or whatever is like failing somehow so they take 40 9th grade students and bring them to a deserted island where they have to subsiquently kill each other off to be the last one standing. If you can find this movie bootleg on eBay or download it then do it! It's crazy!

onetwothreefour
31-03-2005, 00:00
please do a search before you post a thread: one already exists for this film. merging now.

great film btw.

GentlemanLoser
31-03-2005, 01:28
I bought the book on one of my "purchase 5 books from authors you've never read" sprees, but haven't read it yet. I'll have to ad this to my netflix que. Looking forward to it now.

goatofthenever
31-03-2005, 01:44
Originally posted by Jewfolife16
It's a movie that wasn't ever released in the states due to it's graphic nature and the fact that it uses 15 year olds to portray the graphic nature.

"Despite the popular belief that Battle Royale has been banned in the United States, that's not the case. The production company, Toei, refuses to license the movie for North American distribution and has already rejected offers from several North American companies."

I like this movie enough, but i was a little disapointed in it. I heard it described as a very gory flick with a deep meaning, and, well, it really wasn't. Well worth watching though.

Shaman486
31-03-2005, 05:25
I recently read the book. WOW... The movie is nothing in comparison.

A couple of friends told me that the second and third movies are kinda crap. But the first one rocks.

bingey
31-03-2005, 15:27
Just love this movie , first dvd I bought

genaro
01-04-2005, 00:28
yess great movie. I love the way the realisator use extreme violence so you first start feeling chocked asking yourself: "this has no sense, why doing this"...and at some point the realisator asks "do you understand why?" inside the movie, and that's great as he was able to make your mind wonder "why" until the end of the movie where he asks "why" himself. And as you've been waiting for an answer during all the movie, and as the "do you understand why" stimulated more of your curiosity, then the incomplete final explanation won't completely satisfy you and that's a good thing to make your imagination/reflexion bounce back as the film is finished: you can keep searching. That's awsome.

cakehead
05-04-2005, 03:29
the first movie is pretty cool but stay away from the 2nd, gets bogged down in propaganda and detracts from a good story.

darko_e
05-04-2005, 10:07
not sure if anyone wrote this already but what the hell is with the main guy dieing at the end and having an errection??does anyone not see this??

Space Echo
06-04-2005, 06:57
Man, what a fun movie to watch! Such a ridiculous concept, and there are some extremely funny moments (people getting binoculars or a frying pan as weapons). The ending was kinda strange though, and yes the sequels are nowhere near as cool as BR.

alasdairm
06-04-2005, 07:57
rate this movie

alasdair

axl blaze
06-04-2005, 11:56
I am pretty sure BR started off as a manga and not as a book?

anyways I loved this movie.

bingey
06-04-2005, 14:00
^
you are correct

goatofthenever
06-04-2005, 16:18
Originally posted by darko_e
not sure if anyone wrote this already but what the hell is with the main guy dieing at the end and having an errection??does anyone not see this??

well he was thinking about his girl that's been dead...

Kandy K
07-04-2005, 17:46
BR's actually my favorite movie. But I've been looking for a copy I can own in America...wtf and nobody has it. Is it illegal in this country or something?

axl blaze
07-04-2005, 18:24
my dude has all of them. I forget where you got a hold of them. you gotta do some searching, but they are around.

LapDawg
08-04-2005, 12:44
ebay people.

GentlemanLoser
11-04-2005, 22:53
Netflix > DVD Burner. Best money I've spent in a while. :D

Anyway, I got a real kick out of this. This discussion of Japanese society on the verge of implossion is barely dealt with, so any "deeper" meaning this movie might have had (I'll be reading the original book this week on the bus, home, work, etc.) is MIA. But who cares!? It was bloody and entertaining!

Also, I was sort of aroused by a few scenes, even though I shouldn't have been. A gun fight in a lighthouse between 4 schoolgirls? So I've got odd taste, regardless, it was hot.

Good fun. The initial instructional video they watched was hilarious. I also like the terms that 1 person has to win or no one can win and everyone dies.

3 stars for badly-translated violence by japanese school girls with guns and knives. :)

Kandy K
13-04-2005, 00:24
Originally posted by LapDawg
ebay people.

I'm banned permanently from that site. Haha.

axl blaze
13-04-2005, 00:46
^punk rock

Blue Footed Booby
13-04-2005, 09:18
I really enjoyed this movie. Fun stuff! for those who like this, another Japanese movie with a similar fun feel like BR is Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies. Good Gore scenes...
That girl who plays GoGo in Kill Bill I, is in BR, man that chick is freakin Hot and plays some badass roles!

LapDawg
14-04-2005, 06:43
Yes. I love Chigusa (Chiaki Kuriyama). And Mitsuko (Kou Shibasaki).

nice KK! I'm sure you could find some bootleg internet store selling it cheap.

axl blaze
14-04-2005, 07:58
yeah that Go Go woman in Kill Bill and BR is beautiful. I've heard in Japan she was a "pop star" for a short amount of time (this person was telling me they have "aidorus" or idols of teens for like 6 months, and then they are never heard of again). so I dunno how big she was.

mariacallas
27-01-2006, 18:42
*bump* Chiaki Kuriyama is a goddess. My sister left this DVD lying around the entertainment room....I may just watch it again ;)