Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: The Crow (1994)--Thoughts on success?

rate this

• [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

Belisarius

Bluelighter
The Crow (1994)--Thoughts on success?

I've had a long-running, but simmering argument with a good friend of mine over this movie. As is probably common knowledge, the movie was a modest hit at the box office.

Now, we both saw the movie and enjoyed it. However, my friend thinks that the movie was successful because of the notoreity of Brandon Lee's accidental death. I, on the other hand, think that it was successful because it was actually a good movie. I know it's probably impossible to separate the two--I mean, we'll never know how well the movie would have done if Brandon Lee hadn't been killed while filming it--but I still think it's worthwhile to discuss the merits of the film aside from that bit of sad news.

So, what do you think? Was "The Crow" a good movie, or was the aura of "I wonder if I can tell if it isn't him?" more important in getting people out to it?

Last edited:
I'd have to side with you -- the film would have done well with or without the tragic subtext of Brandon Lee's death (although that bit of trivia may add to the mystique that lends it such staying power). Its strength is not so much in the plot and characters (those areas are a bit weak IMO), but in its style -- it's sort of like Batman with a goth feel and an awesome soundtrack.

Anyway, the fact that we're still talking about it over 10 years later should be some indication, right?

"Anyway, the fact that we're still talking about it over 10 years later should be some indication, right?"

^
;)

crow

i feel a big part of people see the movie for the death -to point out the part, or because of the death- as that is why the found out about it being a good movie.
the noterity has certianly helped the word of mouth.

i dont know if they could be seperated into to distinct things... but it is stand alone a good movie, imo

i will also put a poll on this even if it is slightly besides the starting coversation- just for an overlook on how people feel about the crow

Re: The Crow (1994)--Thoughts on success?

Belisarius said:
I've had a long-running, but simmering argument with a good friend of mine over this movie. As is probably common knowledge, the movie was a modest hit at the box office.

Now, we both saw the movie and enjoyed it. However, my friend thinks that the movie was successful because of the notoreity of Jason Lee's accidental death. I, on the other hand, think that it was successful because it was actually a good movie. I know it's probably impossible to separate the two--I mean, we'll never know how well the movie would have done if Jason Lee hadn't been killed while filming it--but I still think it's worthwhile to discuss the merits of the film aside from that bit of sad news.

So, what do you think? Was "The Crow" a good movie, or was the aura of "I wonder if I can tell if it isn't him?" more important in getting people out to it?

Who the fuck is JASON LEE? ;) The star of the Crow was BRANDON LEE, son of Bruce Lee - king of martial arts cinema! TISK TISK.

Great film by the way. I think that in some ways it serves as a simple snapshot of the whole mid-90's, grunge-goth scene. Pitty they have to keep making absolutely abomidable sequels. :(

Yeah I love this movie both 1 and 2 were pretty good. I dont think Brand Lees death had much to do with the sucess.

<<The star of the Crow was BRANDON LEE, son of Bruce Lee - king of martial arts cinema! TISK TISK.>>

Holy shit! Sorry y'all. (sheepish grin)

"Feeling so corrected!..." ;)

<< I think that in some ways it serves as a simple snapshot of the whole mid-90's, grunge-goth scene.>>

I totally agree.

on other notes i want to marry JASON lee...
and i didnt even catch that!
and i really enjoyed the soundtrack of the corw (minus the rain snog by lee's band but a plus for thrill kill kult and other dark bands, synth and death/dark metal industrial types. it brought some of that music into new ears)

The movie might have done ok, but lets be honest: when your lead dies during filming it IS free advertising. I don't think they glorified it or used it to market the film some other way, but the more you mention something the more likely it is people notice it/see it/purchase it/etc.

It was a modest draw at the theaters, but it was one of the first movies the illustrate you can have a killer soundtrack and make money on that too. I think that soundtrack sold more than the movie.

Not to say I didn't like it. It was one of the better action movies of the 90's, really. The shoot outs were top notch and it was adapted well from the graphic novel.

Either way, it wasn't going to be Titanic (that is a good thing). But it definately benefited from Brandon Lee dying during production.

Yeah the lead dying probably gave it some publicity and got some more people to see it, but I think the popularity has to do more with the awesome comicbook it's based on. Not to mention--it's a cult movie, especially for goths, people are going to watch it long after it was made no matter what.

I think the movie was absolutely wonderful. I still watch it about once a month because I love it so much. I read the screenplay as well - after I saw the movie. I think the screenplay was much better, but I love both. The true love story is just so wonderful - I cried the first time I watched it!

I liked The Crow alot. The main bad guy is one of my favorite bad guy actors. Plus, the soundtrack is awesome.

Everything about this movie was amazing, it cemented The Crow as my favourite movie of all time. I also believe it was a break through movie for Brandon Lee. He had some forgettable parts in movies where he was just terrible(as far as acting skill went), but i truly believe if he had not died during filming he would have gone on to be acclaimed as a serious top echelon actor.

The fact he died during filming did give it some notoriety, but i still don't believe it was a success. Poor fool them that did not see it. The soundtrack was also amazing, one of the few albums i can listen to on rotation. I miss what Brandon Lee could have been, and the The Crow is his legacy. I have the version that shows him being interviwed after the filming had finished (they actually had finished and the director decided to re-shoot the fateful scene) and his depth as an actor was just starting to come through to the surface in the way he felt and connected with the character Eric Draven.

RIP Brandon Lee

''It can't rain all the time, the sky won't fall forever. And though the night seems long, your tears won't fall forever"

linusSL said:
. He had some forgettable parts in movies where he was just terrible(as far as acting skill went), but i truly believe if he had not died during filming he would have gone on to be acclaimed as a serious top echelon actor.

You mean the amazing film Lazer Mission?

i've never actually seen it... i've begged, borrowed, and bought that soundtrack a million times; my copy was stolen... but i've never actually seen the film. next time i see it i really must pick it up.

everyone's already mentioned the soundtrack... but here's a reminder anyway :D

1. Burn - The Cure
2. Golgotha Tenement Blues - Machines Of Loving Grace
3. Big Empty - Stone Temple Pilots
4. Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails
5. Darkness - Rage Against The Machine 6. Color Me Once - Violent Femmes
7. Ghostrider - Rollins Band
8. Milktoast - Helmet
9. The Badge - Pantera
10. Slip Slide Melting - For Love Not Lisa 11. After The Flesh - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
12. Snakerider - The Jesus And Mary Chain
13. Time Baby III - Medicine
14. It Can't Rain All The Time - Jane Siberry

GentlemanLoser said:
You mean the amazing film Lazer Mission?

That and Showdown in Little Tokyo. Him and Dolph Lundgren stank in that shitter of a movie.

Sadly i met Brandon Lee just a few days before he died. Well, i didn't meet him per say. I was working at a chain video store and he came in to rent some video's. I guess he was on a break from filming.

You know what's so strange about this experience. When he came into my line-- my register line. He had a long black trench coat on and the skin on his face was so fresh and smooth and pale. He wasn't pale because he was sick or anything, it was because of his black trench coat, it just made his skin more pale and i swear to god, this is the thought that came into my head.. "He looks like an angel" At the time i thought nothing of it. And actually right after he died i didn't even remember thinking that. It was a few days after he died that i remembered thinking that and i was like SHIT omg!!! I'm not saying this was a premonition, no, it wasn't a premonition, but it was an odd thing.

You know I don't think I've ever told that story to anyone. Wait, i did tell one friend about it years ago but haven't mentioned it sense.

He died so young and in his prime. I think he would have accomplished a lot in his life.

OK, i know... i went off topic in relation to the title of this thread but i thought it was worth mentioning. That being said, i loved the movie. The Crow was a dark and yet beautiful movie.

Oh, and when i rang him up he was a sweetheart, very kind, soft spoken and very friendly.

RPG

This was among my favorite movies growing up. I havent seen it in years but I used to love it, I gave it 3/4

and I do own the soundtrack, bought it just a few weeks ago acually