Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [Herald Sun] - 29/03/2005 'Drug users flock to Easter parade'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Drug users flock to Easter parade
Liam Houlihan, youth affairs reporter
29 Mar 2005

EVERY weekend this St Kilda car park is transformed into a bustling, open-air supermarket for illegal drugs.

The Herald Sun spent the early hours of Easter Saturday in the car park, while a dance party was going on next door at The Palace, and found it teeming with almost every kind of illicit drug.

In the space of two hours the Herald Sun witnessed:

GIRLS on the Esplanade openly handling ecstasy tablets.

OCCUPANTS of a car puffing on two "crack pipes" -- glass devices used for smoking crack cocaine or a pure form of amphetamine called crystal meth.

TWO men using a rolled-up banknote to snort lines of white powder -- either amphetamines or cocaine.

Early on Easter Saturday we were approached by two men, in a group of four, who tried to sell us ecstasy tablets.

"You want flippers?" one of them said. "Come on, you guys, I'll sell you flippers at the best price ever -- two for $25."

Three of the four then posed for a photograph.

Ravers say drug dealers operate from their vehicles in the car park and can be found there like clockwork every Friday night for The Palace's weekly dance party, Bass Station.

They say it is an underground Melbourne institution that is as reliable as the McDonald's that is only a block or two away.

Dealers sold the dangerous drug GHB directly from their cars to those going to the indoor rave, ravers said.

One described it as just like having a hot-dog stand outside a pub.

"The ones that stay outside are the dodgy crew," said Jack, a 22-year-old hardcore house fan.

"If you've passed out a couple of times (on drugs), the club is not going to let you back in. The car park is for anyone that's really dodgy or hardcore. But drugs are quite prominent -- buying and selling -- inside the club, too."

On Saturday morning, some in the full car park did burnouts or danced as their car stereos blasted out techno music. Others smoked marijuana joints as they queued for tickets at the front of The Palace.

Jack said the concrete lot, which holds more than 200 cars, was the best place in Melbourne to go when you were stuck for drugs.

One raver, who called himself "Goat", wore a singlet that said: "Go Home G Heads" -- a reference to users of GHB, a drug that many in the rave scene shun.

"I just don't like G," he said. "When people are on it, they sometimes can't stand up at all. Watching people just blow out on it -- it's not good."

In February last year -- before the widely publicised admission to hospital of 10 people at the Two Tribes rave -- paramedics reported treating eight people found near the St Kilda car park for suspected overdoses.

Three of those required life support.

The same month, police swooped on the Jacka Boulevard car park and arrested five people for drug trafficking and possession offences.

More than 1200 ravers attended the bigger than usual Good Friday version of The Palace's weekly house music night.

Dozens more were turned away at the door. At 3.30am on Easter Saturday, the car park was still full.

Regulars of Bass Station said they were rarely, if ever, subjected to pat-down searches on entering the dance club.

From Herald Sun

Liam Houlihan again, youth reporter extraordiniare, tackling the tough issues by going "undercover" at the Palace car park, what a scoop! 8)

I can just see him now partying hard outside, selling off a few of his own and the thought popping up, "Shit, i could make a story out of this!"

How is this different to any major nightclub or event in Aus?

Fuck I feel sorry for the lads at the Palace, in the paper there was a nice big photo of the front of the club....as its been said, its no different to any other venue, why pick on them?

(Maybe their reporter was one of the guys knocked back at the door....)

...and as to be expected, more empirical, hard quality news from a murdoch paper....

I can smell the 'fjeer' from here...

Flippers 2 for $25. I know we are not allowed to discuss prices but that is obviously a load of crap!!!!!!!! Unless of course they were vitamin c

sab

the place is teeming with every illicit drug?? Sounds like a blast!
[Edit: Don't even go there. BT]

Last edited by a moderator:
"Three of the four then posed for a photograph."

hehe, thats classic.

augie march u suckkkk ravers rule and aint nothing wrong with fattys, people do go to far over the top but dunworry everyones there to have a good time. let me tell you i go bass most w.e its rulllles this weekend was madddd brooklyn bounce wassss fuckkkkkkkkkkkkin awsommm way more than i could of expected, they played 1 till 3 which was way to early but bass rules n the carpark aint even to bad as if the media doesnt lie cumon,.. lol $25 for 2 pill gosh what r u buying, panadole? lol

ketamine said:
augie march u suckkkk ravers rule and aint nothing wrong with fattys, people do go to far over the top but dunworry everyones there to have a good time. let me tell you i go bass most w.e its rulllles this weekend was madddd brooklyn bounce wassss fuckkkkkkkkkkkkin awsommm way more than i could of expected, they played 1 till 3 which was way to early but bass rules n the carpark aint even to bad as if the media doesnt lie cumon,.. lol $25 for 2 pill gosh what r u buying, panadole? lol

LMAO!! Brooklyn Bounce hahahahahaha, rave hard son! :D

yeah brooklyn bounce was there to launch the new cd done with Sydney's DJ Yoshi, Central Engery Black Lable II.

I think its a bit unfair that bass station has been singled out here, there are many other clubs that would have exactley the same thing happen.

As usual, quality reporting from the herald sun. Wouldn't it be good if the media reported things with unbiased views.....?

Mate if you think that is an inaccurate description of what goes on in that carpark, you are kidding yourself.. apart from the inaccuracy of the pill pricing and bass being called a house club, it pretty accurate description of the place.. im not damming the carpark, i have enjoyed many a night there but the report is true.. i just feel sorry for any person who went there and told there family they were going

[Edit: Off-topic material removed. Please read the posting guidelines. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
igyzigy said:
Mate if you think that is an inaccurate description of what goes on in that carpark, you are kidding yourself.. apart from the inaccuracy of the pill pricing and bass being called a house club, it pretty accurate description of the place.. im not damming the carpark, i have enjoyed many a night there but the report is true.. i just feel sorry for any person who went there and told there family they were going

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just think the way it was written pushed a lot more from the 'anti-drug' side and had absolutely no input from any other side of the story.

And yeah a little worried that the family might have read it 8(

Reading the reaction to this article on another forum, I wonder if people are perhaps not taking this seriously enough.

This is not the first article Liam Houlihan has written about drugs and dance parties in the Herald Sun.

Just doing a quick search for his name on ADD turns up the following results:
Search Results

Party police sniff out drug ravers
Ravers 'cook from inside'
Sniffer dogs missing on Big Day Out

If you look at the three articles above, it's very obvious from the language that he's using just what Liam thinks about drugs and the dance music scene. Whether that reflects his own personal bias or the attitudes of the Herald Sun/Murdoch press is perhaps not as important as the damage this man is doing, single-handedly, in portraying ecstacy users as dangerous, reckless and irresponsible.

someone will sort his shit out if he starts performing stunts such as what sacred_cow has linked us with and his other pathetic articles he has made
i wonder why he has so much hate. what a faggot

I wonder how many people will be going to the palace to look for cheap drugs. The media just created this into a boom industry. :) Good on you guys... All those dealers are going to love the publicity. hehehehe. I wonder when the cops will jump on this news. Probably after a few weeks we will be seeing some busts I say. :p